Best Route into New York Penn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am planning a trip into New York Penn in September, but have to be in by at least 6 pm , as we are attending a Yankees game. I will be leaving from Toledo either on the Lake Shore or Capital Limited. Given the fact that the Lake Shore has been arriving from anywhere from 45 minutes to 3+ hours late, I am very skeptical that its on time performance will improve between now and September. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences on the Pennsylvanian, Empire Service or the Regionals from Albany into New York, or could suggest a combo that would put us into New York Penn at least by 6 pm.

Thanks in Advance...

Bill Skriba

Ann Arbor Railroad Fan

Actually the LSL should be a bit better by September since it cools off up there by then and the heat orders that slow the LSL down should be lifted. CSX has also been doing a major tie project out there that's been slowing things down. Once you get past Labor Day things are much more better. :lol: B)

Chatter163 said:
With that tight a schedule, it would probably be a better idea to come the day before the game. Otherwise, it is just too close. ;)
I'll second that. I would come in a day early.

Even the Capitol is cutting things close. If the Capitol is more than two hours late, then your next connection to NY gets you into Penn after your 6:00 PM deadline. If I had to guess, I'd say that there is at least a 25% chance that the Capitol will miss the normal connecting train.

The Lake Shore is also a gamble. I just returned today on the LSL and while we were late, we still would have made your deadline. But the LSL is often much later, than 6:00 PM. One of the bigger reasons, is not heat restrictions, but freight congestion just outside of Chicago. We did very good getting out of Chicago yesterday, but I have seen days where the LSL is already 3 or more hours late, before it ever gets out of Indiana.

It's anyone's guess as to when and if that freight congestion will ease up in the Chicago area. That same congestion often delays the Captiol too.

Back