Best roomette on the Capitol Limited

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by Kbyrdleroydogg, Feb 7, 2020.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Feb 14, 2020 at 8:51 PM #26

dav936

d

dav936

A few years ago we took the Empire Builder from Portland to Milwaukee. We were in Bedroom D and the last car on the train consist. Because there was no other car connected to the back of ours the swaying back and forth was terrible. It was very difficult to sleep/move around because of this. Unfortunately, because there is often only one sleeper on the Portland to Spokane section this is sometimes impossible to avoid.

Tom Booth likes this.
  2. Feb 15, 2020 at 7:59 PM #27

20th Century Rider

20th Century Rider

20th Century Rider

Preference for roomette location is always personal. Downstairs can be noisy as they are by the luggage storage, family room, entrance doors, bathrooms and shower. Upstairs provides a better view with BEST roomettes 3-4-5-6-7-8 the quietest. 9 and 10 are at the entrance where there may be chatter and you hear the sliding door. Rooms 2, is at the coffee and lavatory area, and next to the attendant’s room 1… and can be noisy.

3. Feb 15, 2020 at 8:13 PM #28

rrdude

rrdude

rrdude

Conductor AU Supporter

Always prefer the upper level, about midway thru the roomettes, not to close to toilet-stairs, not next to doors. YMMV

4. Feb 15, 2020 at 8:30 PM #29

Maglev

Maglev

Maglev

OBS Chief

I travel during off-peak times, and find that the Family Room is often unoccupied. I prefer downstairs Roomettes for the lack of traffic and convenience to the bathrooms.

I have also been in Bedroom A at the end of the Empire Builder, and did not notice any unusual motion. It was nice having the railfan window close by, and NOBODY else came to look out it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 8:49 PM
    Rail Freak likes this.
  5. Feb 15, 2020 at 8:34 PM #30

Rasputin

R

Rasputin

OBS Chief

I am sorry to hear that you had this problem but my experience has been different. I have been in the Portland sleeper at the rear of the Empire Builder twice and also in the Texas Eagle sleeper at the rear of the Sunset twice. I have enjoyed the quietness in those cars and had no trouble moving around or sleeping and much prefer being in these sleeping cars at the rear of the train.

6. Feb 15, 2020 at 8:41 PM #31

20th Century Rider

20th Century Rider

20th Century Rider

Rooms 9 and 10 at the very end of the train would be a great choice... quiet/no traffic, and one can get up and gaze out the back window. But make sure your assigned car is the one at the very end!

7. Feb 15, 2020 at 9:17 PM #32

the_traveler

t

the_traveler

Conductor

I have been in room 9 and 10 and also bedroom A when they were the last (back) rooms of the 27/28 sleepers. I too did not notice any excessive sway nor interference in my sleep. But I did especially like the ability to look out the Railfan window with ease - and most of the time I was the only one doing so!:cool:

Rail Freak likes this.
  8. Feb 15, 2020 at 10:25 PM #33

niemi24s

n

niemi24s

Conductor

Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect side-to-side motions of the last car in the train are most noticeable in the Summer months when heat kinks have a better chance of developing in the CWR

9. Feb 16, 2020 at 4:06 PM #34

Rasputin

R

Rasputin

OBS Chief

Pardon me, but what is a CWR?

10. Feb 16, 2020 at 4:07 PM #35

Maglev

Maglev

Maglev

OBS Chief

Continuously Welded Rail

Maybe I don't notice any whiplash because I travel mostly in winter.

Rasputin likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted