Best Passenger Rail Experience Ever?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's match the other thread, shall we? :rolleyes:

I'm thinking that my recent trip on the Coast Starlight was definitely one of my best experience.
:hi: Thanks for posting Charlie! Ive enjoyed EVERY Long Distance train Trip, but it's pretty hard to top riding with friends in the PPC on the Starlight up the Coast from LAX-SEA while enjoying an adult beverage along with a very nice meal served by a Fantastic LSA!!! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
on Amtrak? probably my first ride on the Zephyr when I was 8 years old, in summer 1989. I was glued to the window of the SSL from Denver pretty much straight through into Oakland. I still remember that sense of WHOA... now this is amazing. That trip still gives me the warm fuzzies.

Elsewhere... Over New Years 1989/90 my Dad took me on the Canadian (CP Route)from Montreal to Vancouver, a couple of weeks before it was axed. I was glued to the dome from Sudbury to Vancouver. I literally turned down a cab ride (what was I thinking???) to ride in the Park Car. Or maybe 2008 when I took my own son on the Canadian and watched him spend 4 days in total wonderment. That was just as awesome.

My first long distance trip. I was on business, heading to a conference which I was *not* looking forward to. I told the boss I'd go if I could take a sleeper one way. It was the EB, Seattle to Minneapolis. From the minute I settled into my roomette and contrasted it to what being at the airport would have been like; to the dining room experience (perfectly cooked flatiron steak); the tray of still-warm cookies offered by the car attendant after the stop in Havre; the attendant himself, attentive but unobtrusive; the beautiful sunny day going through Glacier. The whole trip was wonderful and I was hooked. First thing I did upon arrival at my hotel was to open an AGR account.

I found German's Deutsche Bahn and Japan's JR systems to be extremely efficient, punctual, and clean. The Canadian wasn't quite as sophisticated as you see in the old black and white movies, and some aspects were downright backward but it was still pretty darn cool. The food was nice, the scenery was interesting, and the passengers were friendly. But it was probably Amtrak's own Coast Starlight that wowed me the most! Maybe it was because I wasn't expecting as much as I was on The Canadian. Or maybe it was because we had the absolute best staff, the most varied scenery, and one of the most interesting groups of fellow passengers I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. And that's even before we get to the wonderful PPC!

Our last trip on the SWC was pretty awesome. I had the same car attendant (Jason) that I'd had on a trip a year ago. I'm not sure if it was him or the conductor, but they kept making funny announcements for the cities in Illinois. We had "Picturesque Princeton, the Las Vegas of the Midwest". We also had Glorious Galesburg, and (my favorite), "Now leaving the Ville of Napers," as we left Naperville. He also started a snowball fight with the conductors while we were stopped in Trinidad. :)

We were in the last car, and it was only 1/4-full, so it was peaceful and quiet all the way from Chicago to Kansas City. A loud group got on there and continued to be ridiculous all the way to La Junta, but then they got off and it was back to 1/4-full and quiet again all the way from La Junta to Albuquerque, where we departed. We were all spread out over two seats, and most people were reading or sleeping. So, despite the rough night, it was completely quiet most of the trip.

I would say our favorite was Empire Builder. It was a anniversary trip to Seattle and then on a cruise to Alaska and then back. Got a awesome room attendant. Told us a lot about Seattle. Very personable.

VIA Rail Canadian, and I don't think I even need to bother explaining why.
I just love VIA, (and not just 'cause my family has a CN pensioner card that gives us free travel, or because I'm Canadian) but I find that they go the extra mile to make every passenger's trip enjoyable. IMO, they provide a better passenger experience than Amtrak.

My best Amtrak experience has been November 2010, round-trip from San Jose to Seattle. Took a friend of mine on their very first trip aboard a train, and I've very successfully created another fan in the process. The train was over 40 minutes early arriving into SJC, giving us ample time to board and settle in our bedroom, then venture to the PPC until well after midnight watching the lights of the Bay Area, then Sacramento fade, reappear, then fade again. Absolutely amazing service; our SCA Annette was overjoyed when I told her of my traveling companion's first trip aboard a train. We woke up unexpectedly at 7:30 in the morning by a polite knock on the door to find Annette standing there with a tray of coffee, OJ and a newspaper for the two of us! It was her way of "Welcoming" my friend to the Amtrak system, and "re-welcoming" me back. She got a very generous tip as we stepped off the train at King Street Station 10 minutes early from what was scheduled!

The trip back was no less impressive, and while our SCA was not really all that amazing, she was not bad either. Instead, the shining beacon of an Amtrak employee was the PPC attendant, Ben, who we originally found frantically trying to get his car in shape as passengers were boarding at King Street. The original PPC had been bad-ordered and was swapped last-minute with another PPC that was sitting standby in Seattle. As such, nothing was stocked or ready yet Ben was trying his best. I pitched in, despite his kind pleas that it was not necessary, to help get the table cloths out and carry a few cases of soda from the coolers beneath the screen downstairs up to the bar area. We left right on time, and Ben became a very entertaining individual to talk with through the rest of the trip. My buddy and him instantly related, considering both had gone through a similar surgery and as such had some things very alike. We again arrived smack on-time into San Jose.

Rewind to February 2008. I've had an absolutely amazing time on VIA as well, aboard the Canadian, and even though the trip ended up being robbed of a significant portion of train time the steps taken in order to get the passengers to their destinations was mind-boggling. A freight derailment at Sioux Lookout blocked all chances of the Canadian leaving Toronto, and as Customer Service Agents frantically tried to give information to passengers about the situation, Toronto was being pounded with a massive blizzard. A rerouting of the train over a different set of tracks was ruled out early on, and as the day drug on, worse news was that Toronto Pearson International Airport was closed due to the weather. Vouchers for food were given out to everyone waiting, and by 6 PM a plan seemed to be forming. VIA had chartered two B-373 airliners from WestJet Airlines, had them sitting on the tarmac at some regional airport two hours out of Toronto, and were going to bus the whole train-load of passengers to this airport. We arrived, many heads shaking (including my own) about the chances of actually getting off the ground, and trudged through several feet of snow into the small terminal building. VIA had taken all our checked baggage from Toronto and re-checked them aboard the airplanes for us, we went through security, and out onto the tarmac to try and get up the stairs into the plane before turning into a snowman. The captain fired up the engines after everyone was settled, and gave us a quick briefing over the PA about the window of opportunity for take-off closing quickly due to the weather, and headed for the runway. We did NOT de-ice the plane, and had over a foot accumulated on the wings as seen through my window. I've never been more nervous about flying before, and I was far from alone. And yet, we screamed down the pavement and into the sky with the second jet just behind us.

We landed an hour and change later into Winnipeg, met buses there and went to our lodging for the night at the Raddison Hotel. Vouchers were given for two full meals per-person at the hotel restaurant, and I can tell you the rooms were extremely nice! The next morning, VIA had turned the former east-bound Canadian around (and had similarly flown those passengers to Toronto) and prepped it for boarding at 11 AM at Winnipeg Union Station. We were bussed the two blocks from the hotel to the station due to the temperatures (NEGATIVE 53 DEGREES CELSIUS!!!) where we were allowed to do as we please. Lunch was on the train in the dining car, or we had the option of catered food in the station below. Live music was brought in to play for us in the station as well! And the train left on-time at 5 PM and headed West. The rest of the trip was more-or-less perfect. The only other unexpected occurrence being when another passenger found out the hard way why the shower had been locked. He forced the door early in the morning, everyone else asleep, and turned on the water to clean himself up. It only took a few moments for shower water to end up pooling because of the frozen drain, overflow into the rest of the shower compartment, and out into the rest of the car. I awoke to his frantic pounding and screaming as the door in which he'd forced to get inside remained locked when he tried to get out and trapped him. I put my feet on the floor, instantly soaked my socks because of all the water, and went to see what all the noise was about! It took many attempts at the call button before the SCA appeared dreary-eyed to see what was the matter, but only a second to see him instantly wake-up and become quite angry. The door was opened, the man extricated, then yelled at repeatedly because not only was the door locked but a sign placed in plain sight about it being out of service. The carpet was wet for the duration of the trip into Vancouver.

What an adventure! :lol:

I'd say my absolute best Amtrak experience was last March, which was good enough that it prompted me to try riding trains again after a several year absence.

I needed to go to Santa Barbara, CA, for a conference (what an inconvenience, having to leave Boston in March for Santa Barbara....), and our travel funding situation was a little on the scarce side. This meant that instead of flying directly into Santa Barbara, we would simply fly to LAX (way, way cheaper thanks to Virgin America's continuing refusal to make any money) and were on our own for transportation from there on. I elected to take the Pacific Surfliner, since it was cheaper than a direct bus from LAX. As a result, my day looked like this:

- 6:30AM shuttle flight BOS-IAD

- Packed full IAD-LAX flight

- Deal with the LAX baggage claim

- Three LA Metro rail lines LAX (airport) - LAUS (I know there's a bus, but this was more fun)

- Sit around LAUS while a bunch of people on a city-wide scavenger hunt repeatedly ask to photograph my out of state drivers license

- Board the Surfliner

After a long and rather ridiculous day of traveling, the Surfliner was perfect. It ran spot on time, with a good on board staff, and was lightly occupied and therefore quiet. Running along the California coast right at sunset with a cold Negra Modelo in my hand after a long day of traveling on about 2 hours of sleep is absolutely my favorite Amtrak experience.

December 31, 1999 on the Cardinal: DC to Huntington WV

I was traveling to Huntington WV to visit my Fiancee's family for the first time. I was living in Northern Connecticut at the time , so i had taken a NE Regional the previous night into DC. Arriving in DC in the early morning, i walked outside. The first sight i espied was the US Capitol. It was such a beautiful, majestic building - it is hard not to be moved by its intrinsic beauty, and by all it represents.

'

After walking a bit around the Capitol Grounds (it was very quiet as Congress was out of session & it was early morning on a Friday) I returned to the station..

At 11:00 a.m. they opened the train and I was guided to my room by a very polite conductor. I had reserved a sleeper car, cause I had never been in one before,and I wanted an exciting non-bachelor party experience prior to the wedding.

All sorts of rumors were flying about that morning that about how electrical grid would fail at Midnight cause of the Y2K computer buy, how terrorists might mount an attack, etc. Consequently the train was perhaps a third full I think there were only four other occupants in the sleeper the entire trip. Before boarding, the police checked our bags. Remember, this was before 9/11, so such procedures very unusual. There was definitely a sense of excitement and anxiety on Train 51 that morning.

It was a beautiful day - clear, cold, lovely blue sky. Leavng DC, I was surprised to see the an absence of snow., and felt sorry for children who celebrated Christmas w/o snow. (Perhaps folks who visit the Berkshires during the summer feel sorry for folks who spend the summer w/o surf and sand.)

Once out of Charlottesville, it was over gently rolling hills, with fields, farms and pastures.. The Southern landscape is more expansive and rolling than the Berkshires, which is characterized by narrow valleys and steep hill. Rural Virginia recalled to me the book of paintings oby Andrew Wythe that I used to look at in the library. I understand now why Southerners grow so attached to the south - many parts of it have a mystic beauty.

As we approached, the White Sulfur Springs, the sun started to set, and I was called to the first seating.

No one was at my table, so I sipped a beer, & studied at map, tying to figure out where John Henry died, beating the steam drill - "Big Bend Tunnel on the C&O road" Best i can figured, the tunnel, now abandoned, was a passage thru the Alleghenies, between Hinton and White Sulfur Springs. Someone once told me t that the tunnel, where so many men died , is now used by bear and deer to shield themselves from the summer heat and winter cold

Returning to my sleeper, i took out Jon Krakekur's book "Into Thin Air" For those of you looking for a great read on a long journey, I can not recommend this book highly enough!

We stopped in Charleston, where Amtrak police boarded the train, with dogs, and searched high and low for anything suspicious. Satisfied that Train 51 was bomb free, we celebrated the new year outside of Huntington

Arriving in Huntington, was my financees family.. Quite a wonderful way to welcome in a new year and a new century in our great and good land

I would like to do that trip again - but this time with my wife & two girls.

The EB last July (just after service was restored after the flooding). First trip for my nine and seven year old kids and my first trip in a long time--had been waiting to show the kids train travel when they were old enough to remember the experience. Train was only four hours late at Williston when we boarded. SCA attendent went out of her way to take care of "her" passengers, food was good, adult beverages were procured and scenery was great. By the time we got to Sandpoint ID we were six plus hours late, saw lots of great scenery we would hve missed in the dark if we had been on schedule. Train staff was pleasent throughout--such a different experience from the airlines where they can be unpleasant (even in first class) if the plane is on schedule and really unpleasent when things start to go wrong. At Pasco Washington Amtrak bought lunch for the train and bussed passangers to meet the southbound CS--we were that late. Beautiful ride down the Columbia River Gorge. By this time we are approaching Portland we are close to eight hours late and I'm on my third reservation for a connecting train to Seattle. SCA earned her tip (double the standard) by getting us off the EB one station early and on the northbond CS to SEA.

Beautiful evening trip up to Seattle, great dinner in the dinning car (by that time we were just coach passengers but dinning car staff treated us well), views of Mt. St. Helens and Rainer and arrival into Seattle 40 minutes early--and a martini at the Olympic.

After flying so many times to Seattle this trip (even as late and chaotic as it was) was civilized, no other word really describes it.

Needless to say my kids are now devoted to train travel--and after having experienced more than my share of schedule and service meltdowns with the airlines, I still marvel at what Amtrak and their staff will do to take care passengers and do their best. The coolest thing about the train is you just have to get on and go with the flow--you have your bed, bar, board and they will do their best to get you there.

The kids and I will be building vacations around trains for a while. This summer the EB again, following summer CS from LAX north and the following year--2014 (the comments on this post sealed the deal)the Canadian.

I am tempted to say that all 24 or so (I lost count some time ago) trips on the California Zephyr were the best travel experiences I ever had (and I'm taking another one in March), because every one of them was a different kind of adventure. One was in the kitchen of the dining car, another was in the cab of the lead F40 going Over the Hill, still another was in a circuitous run to avoid Mississippi River floods, and so on. Even the disastrous trips (and there were more than one) were adventures.

But the reality is a choice between Toronto-Jasper-Vancouver on The Canadian and Paris-Nice aboard Le Mistral when European countries still fielded Trans-Europ Expresses.

I found German's Deutsche Bahn and Japan's JR systems to be extremely efficient, punctual, and clean.
Back when the Shinkansen was still JNR (prior to de-Nationalization), they used to carry a diner. I remember quite clearly riding the bullet train in the early 80's and enjoying the diner (as a 5th grader) and I seem to recall they even had drop-to-the-track toilets.

Fast forward 25 years, and I take my family on the Series 500 Shinkansen and it's a monster of a train. Very fast. Very efficient. On our return trip, I was on a 700-series (not the new N700) and it was just as fast, but it didn't look as cool and it seemed to jostle a lot more. 2x3 seating gets pretty tight for my large American family...

All that being said, and as much as I miss riding the rails in Japan, they were little more than transportation. My real love for passenger rail started after I came back to the US.

I like the concept of this thread much more then the other one. :)

I have dozens of great memories from train travel, and it would be almost impossible to pick the perfect one for this thread. The thing that first came to mind was a westbound trip on the Empire Builder back in June 1979 ... the last few months of Heritage equipment on the train. (There was an old GN Ranch car serving as the diner -- one of the coolest pieces of railroad equipment ever.) I was headed to Glacier Park for the summer, the greatest place on earth ... and I hadn't been there since the previous fall. I spent the whole day up in one of the domes, squinting for the first glimpse of my beloved Rocky Mountains, and when I finally saw them, it was the most glorious feeling ever.

Another great dome moment was on VIA Rail's Atlantic, a few months before it was to be discontinued. I knew the train was ending, and I wanted to see the route across Maine before it was too late ... so I set my alarm for 1 AM or so, and went up into the empty dome. Everything was pitch black, of course, but sitting up there all alone, watching the locomotive headlight briefly illuminate the passing forests -- it was pretty extraordinary.

I like the concept of this thread much more then the other one.
Me too. My favorite rail experience has been riding the ex-Milwaukee Road Cedar Rapids observation car while it's repositioning between Chicago and the Twin Cities. It's all downhill after have the chance to sit alone back in the lounge area, enjoying the incredible view, sipping a vodka tonic and perusing the weekend Financial Times. I'll never be a Captain of Industry, but I sure felt like one on those trips.

Being a Korean homer that I am, Korean Train eXpress from Busan to Seoul. First time riding a TRUE HSR. Took about 3 hours, great view, great train great experience.

Korea is underrated among train fans, since they get lost between the Shinkasen in Japan and HSR in China.

Our last trip on the SWC was pretty awesome. I had the same car attendant (Jason) that I'd had on a trip a year ago. I'm not sure if it was him or the conductor, but they kept making funny announcements for the cities in Illinois. We had "Picturesque Princeton, the Las Vegas of the Midwest". We also had Glorious Galesburg, and (my favorite), "Now leaving the Ville of Napers," as we left Naperville. He also started a snowball fight with the conductors while we were stopped in Trinidad. :)

We were in the last car, and it was only 1/4-full, so it was peaceful and quiet all the way from Chicago to Kansas City. A loud group got on there and continued to be ridiculous all the way to La Junta, but then they got off and it was back to 1/4-full and quiet again all the way from La Junta to Albuquerque, where we departed. We were all spread out over two seats, and most people were reading or sleeping. So, despite the rough night, it was completely quiet most of the trip.
I got a chuckle out of Princeton, Las Vegas of the Midwest. Princeton was the station near the town where my grandparents lived and I've spent many days there. My favorite rail trips were getting off the Illinois Zephyr there.........but I never saw and slots or craps tables. :lol:

I got a chuckle out of Princeton, Las Vegas of the Midwest. Princeton was the station near the town where my grandparents lived and I've spent many days there. My favorite rail trips were getting off the Illinois Zephyr there.........but I never saw and slots or craps tables. :lol:
He kept making up all kinds of hilarious (and false) histories and nicknames for each town. His delivery made it clear he was joking without poking fun. I was so bummed when the commentary ended at Kansas City. My boyfriend and I cheered when he started up again on the homeward trip. We heard him starting at Fort Madison, and we both went, "It's Jason!!!"
biggrin.gif

I would say it was a trip I took in 2007, Baltimore, to Havre, MT, using the NE Regional, Capitol Limited, and Empire Builder. It was snowing in Indiana when we woke up (this was February), but we got into Chicago more or less on time. As I settled into my roomette on the Builder, the folks across the corrodor told us that O'Hare was closed due to the snow. We pulled out on time, and had a nice uneventful trip with a more or less on-time arrival in Havre. The cars were newly renovated, the food service on the builder was excellent, and the staff helpful. The return trip was also pretty good, at least on the Builder, where I made the wine&cheese tasting and even won a bottle of wine. We had massive delays on the Capitol Limited because of weather, they even had to route us through Detroit because the main line was clogged with stranded freight trains, but even in that case, the staff was helpful, and I got to see the route from Toledo through Pittsburgh in daylight.

The cab ride I took a couple years ago on the Fillmore & Western Railway here in Southern California was pretty fun.

Other than that, I've had numerous enjoyable experiences on Amtrak and other passenger trains -- but none that I can really point to as being "best."

It is much easier to chat about fun times rather than bad experiences. In September 2007, six persons, met on the Capital Limited and enjoyed the best, pressure free, train trip to Chicago and the most fun trip I had (have) ever taken.

A Grandma from Chicago South Side, a young man touring the US from London, a newly divorced lady out to have a alone vacation after an abusive marriage ending, two gay buddies going back to college in Chicago and me. We all got chatting in the Observation Car, drinks flowed and a fun dinner with a cool Amtrak Server. The Dining Car Attendant enjoyed the meal as much as we did. Wine kept flowing, conversation was constant, nonstop with tons of laughter.

We went downstairs for cards and more drinks after dinner. The Grandma announced "Lets do some gin!" I said, Aww, I can't drink anymore. She said, "Nooo honey, the card game!" That really cracked us up! We played gin until late, got off in Pittsburgh for air and slept soundly the rest of the night. The room attendant was still up and wished those of us that had sleepers, Good Night.

This was a true case of Strangers on a Train from different backgrounds meeting and having spontaneous fun on Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back