Best GPS for dual use...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim G.

Service Attendant
I have an old GPS that I want to replace. I would like to get one that offers the best performance for both auto and train travel. Any suggestions. Thanks!

My car has a built in GPS. When I travel by train, I use my phone's GPS. I use either Google Map or Verizon Navigator, which identify's the owner of the railroad the train is riding on, as well as others in the proximity when you zoom into a certain level. For the purpose, it is very satisfactory. I do not see a need to bring another one with me when traveling by train....

I use a Garmin GPSmap 62s handheld which does both although not the best for automotive due to the small screen size.This unit is in Garmin's "On The Trail" series.

If you have a smart phone, Waze is a free app that is a superb GPS with excellent traffic info. Recently purchased by Google.

Regarding smart phones, *most* mapping apps require a wireless connection (in addition to "seeing" several GPS satellites) to download map imagery for your area as you move around. The Sunset Limited comes to mind when I think of little or no wireless coverage!

With a handheld GPS, maps are stored in the device memory and only require reception of GPS signals. My GPS will take a micro SD card up to 32 GB.

That said, I would imagine there are some smart phone apps out there that do store maps on the device but, you need the memory to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
About how many bits of storage is required to store a US and/or Canada map on a smartphone?

It is possible to record your travels via GPS without having a map to show where you are. The device simply records your position periodically as you travel into a "tracklog". In this case, you just need a GPS and software to record the tracklog. The tracklog can usually be displayed on Google Earth after you get back. Google Earth will allow you to "play back" the tracklog which looks like you are flying at a low altitude along your path.

For my Garmin 62s, the City Navigator map for the US, Canada, and Mexico requires nearly 2 GB of storage space. My more detailed 24K Topo covering Washington, Oregon, and California requires 3.75 GB of storage.

I have two rather old GPS units designed for autos. I found both had a "bug" of putting my location on a highway (instead of the railroad track) if said highway was within 100 feet or so of the train track on which my Amtrak train was riding. Don't know what the GPS would show in the event of a derailment.

The tips by others about using the smartphone GPS with extra software is very helpful information.

I use a Magellan Meridian Color (I have 2). I always buy on Ebay for less than $100. Most of my use is finding geocaches but I have sometimes had luck getting 4 or more satellites while riding on a train.

If you zoom the map out you can see what the next town is even if it doesn't have a station.

With my GPSMAP 62s I can disable "Lock on Road". It's not a bug. You don't necessarily have to "navigate" a destination...just let it go along with you and record the track.

I hang a remote antenna in the window and the GPS can see 6 or so satellites and typically shows an accuracy of 20-30 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back