Best day trip from FBG? RVM or WBG

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tonijustine

I will be in FBG in May commemorating the 150th anniversary of the start of the Overland Campaign (Civil War). I will have my nearly 2 year old son with me and thought that he might enjoy his first train trip. We are looking at going on a Sunday, and I am not sure which of these options makes the most sense. I have been to both cities, but never by train, so I have some concerns...

RVM: We would have 8 hours (assuming things are on time) and two great Civil War museums are within walking distance. DS loves to people watch, so I don't think we would have any trouble filling that time. However, here are my concerns:

1. How safe if the area the station is located in? I will be arriving and departing during daylight hours (assuming, again, everything is on time).

2. Does anyone know if there would be restaurants open downtown on a Sunday afternoon?

3. How hilly is the area around the station (I seem to recall it was rather hilly in Richmond, and I will be pushing a stroller and heavy diaper bag/camera bag)?

4. How is the waiting room? Safe and clean? (IND, my home station, seems to always smell like urine).

WBG: We would have a little over 5 hours and would be within walking distance of Colonial Williamsburg. I love Williamsburg....they do a great job bringing history to the masses. However, here are my concerns:

1. This seems like a rather long trip for DS's first time. I imagine it will be easier to get him to sleep on the train than in a stroller (if I got lucky with him taking a nap while on the town in Richmond) with the rocking and all.

2. From Google Maps, it looks like Colonial Williamsburg and the Visitor's Center is an easy walk from the train station. Anyone done this before?

3. Same question about the waiting room: Safe and clean?

Now, in general, since it is the same train...

I've never been on a Northeast Regional before. I've only ever been on LD trains. Are the accommodations kid-friendly (room to move, is the lounge car where I want to be?)? And what kind of ridership (100% full, 10% full) would you expect on a Sunday?

I should probably not be worrying this much over this decision. I just want to have a balance of entertainment and down time and this could either be very fun for him or the biggest travel mistake I've ever been...even odds here.

Thanks for your help!

I can't speak for regionals from RVM, but on Sunday I took NER 88 from RVR to FBG.leaving at 8:25 a.m. Business Class was wide open, sit wherever you want. I didn't walk the train, but I doubt the other coaches were much different, Not very many boarded at RVR and we didnt even stop in Ashland

Of the two, WBG is probably the better stop. WBG itself is about four blocks from Colonial Williamsburg, so you can do the whole day without a cab.

At RVM you are at the bottom of what the locals call Broad Street Hill. Attractions such as St John's Church, the Capitol, Museum of the Confederacy, "White House" of the Confederacy are all uphill. I live here and wouldn't want to make those walks with bags and stroller. If you are coming on a Sunday, you probably want to check the opening schedules for those things you want to see. As much as we would like to have you visit here, you probably would be better off going to Williamsburg.

RVM: We would have 8 hours (assuming things are on time) and two great Civil War museums are within walking distance. DS loves to people watch, so I don't think we would have any trouble filling that time. However, here are my concerns:

1. How safe if the area the station is located in? I will be arriving and departing during daylight hours (assuming, again, everything is on time).

2. Does anyone know if there would be restaurants open downtown on a Sunday afternoon?

3. How hilly is the area around the station (I seem to recall it was rather hilly in Richmond, and I will be pushing a stroller and heavy diaper bag/camera bag)?

4. How is the waiting room? Safe and clean? (IND, my home station, seems to always smell like urine).

1. Very safe during daylight hours every day of the week. You should have no worries at all. The area is busy with pedestrian and auto traffic. A lively area.

2. There will be restaurants open near the station. Downtown, restaurants are a bit spread out for walking.

3. The station is located in Shockoe Bottom. Everything from there is uphill, whether you go west for the Museum of the Confederacy or east for St. John's Church. With a stroller, these destination might be too far to walk with a stroller and luggage.

4. The waiting room is immaculate and safe.

Thank you all for your insight. Looks like WBG is a winner (not that Richmond loses).

Thanks again!

Of the two, WBG is probably the better stop. WBG itself is about four blocks from Colonial Williamsburg, so you can do the whole day without a cab.
Good to hear. I live in Ricmond and have been wanting to plan a day trip RVM-WBG, but was wondering how to get around once there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back