Berlin, CT Station Burnt Down - Service Suspended 12/21/16

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakLKL

Lead Service Attendant
Fire destroyed the Berlin, CT station early this morning. Trains will not stop at Berlin until further notice. A new station building under construction next to the old one was not affected by the fire.

Wow I was just there yesterday.

The town of Berlin at one point had the highest ration of fire trucks to population in the state.

The nears fire station was across the street.

4 stations and mutual aid from two towns.

Well, that's sad. I always hate to see a historic building burn. I guess it's good that they're already building a new station, but not so good that it won't be ready until May.

Well, that's sad. I always hate to see a historic building burn. I guess it's good that they're already building a new station, but not so good that it won't be ready until May.
Accelerated oxidization is unfortunate but I can live with it. What really gets my blood boiling is when someone intentionally destroys something historic and timeless in order to replace it with something that will soon be seen as tacky and dated.

Service to Berlin (BER) resumed today with 56(22) being the first train to stop since the fire. The temporary platform, ramp, stairs, and bus shelter to the South of the old station building are once again in use as they were prior to the fire. Expect limited parking due to the new facility construction and the post fire clean up and securing of the old building.

Last week the historic 116 year old station caught fire. On December 29, 2016 the news reported that the station is a total loss and the remains will be torn down and removed. The site has been under construction building new commuter rail platforms. The station was to be preserved because of its historical status. So far the cause of the fire remains a mystery.
As a long time rail fan, This my home station and for many years. I've started several long distance and cross country rail adventures from this station. When not traveling I use to visit the station to just watch the trains and reminisce. I'm sadden by this loss. Imagine all the emotions that happened in this station, loved ones saying good bye while others were welcomed . I'm slightly angry as to how this could happen? Deep inside me I wonder if someone wanted the station destroyed possibly because of the cost associated with restoration. I have no proof but I'm upset. I don't think many people these days appreciate our railroad history. They have a love affair with their automobiles and the independence they feel . They get mad if the train is 30 mins late however they sit in traffic for just as long or longer. Now with my favorite station gone it will have to fade into my memories of the great days when train travel was the norm.

MODERATOR NOTE: This post was merged into a previous thread on the same topic

Last edited by a moderator:
Conspiracy theory.

But I agree.

Sold my childhood house in Berlin last week. The station has been in declining for several decades, was really sad to see the condition the day before the fire. If they were going to rebuild it right it would of been great, but fear they would not.

Got to remember the town is redoing the area. So if the station was not rebuilt right, it would stick out.

I remember the town making a home owner rebuild a barn because of the historic value it had. No reason not to build a replica a few feet further back from the tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back