Being Big On A Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had issues with pocket knives on Amtrak? I have two personal ones that were from grandparents that I'd like to bring in my checked luggage, but don't want to be told I have to throw them away or anything like that. The blades aren't long or anything. Maybe two and a half inches long?

Will that be an issue?
A Swiss Army knife is part of my standard Amtrak travel kit, along with duct tape and small flashlight. I've been carrying pocket knives onboard Amtrak literally for decades.

They don't do intrusive airport-like TSA inspections. In any case, pocket knives are allowed even in airline checked baggage. You just can't carry them on. Heck, guns are allowed in airline checked baggage, as long as they are in the proper case, unloaded, and declared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I just didn't want them anywhere except with me just in case something were to happen. Don't want to lose family type stuff, no matter how silly the item may sound and or be.

I would say a swiss army knife in your carry on is not allowed. Will anything be said. Probably not.

Not allowed in checked or carry on. See exceptions below:

Sharp objects, including but not limited to axes, ice picks, knives, spears, and swords
*Scissors, nail clippers, corkscrews, and razors are allowed in carry-on baggage.
**Sheathed equipment, to include fencing equipment, are allowed in checked baggage.

Well, the trip is coming up so just wanted to ask again about Chicago being I'll be there for about 6 hours. We'd like to tour a little. I believe someone said we can leave the luggage in the Chicago station somewhere.

Can anyone tell me about that again. Should I buy locks so nobody goes through anything?

Thanks!

If you are either arriving or departing in a sleeper, you can leave your bags in a secure room manned by a Red Cap in the Metropolitan Lounge. I wouldn't bother with locks or anything. I use that service a lot because if I have a long layover, I don't like to just hang around in the station. The service is free but a tip is customary.

If you don't have access to the Metropolitan Lounge, I think there are lockers in the baggage area. I don't know much about them.

Capitol Limited to SW Chief, right?

Dump your bags in the Met Lounge. Leave the station and walk over to the Sears Tower. Go up top and step out on the ledge, it's cool.

Leave the tower, turn left and Giordiano's is a block down on your right. Grab a deep dish, enjoy half, take half back to snack on the train later.

Yup, I have the sleeper car too so I should have access to that. I know tips are "whatever you feel like," but what do you usually give?

I tip basically the same (about $2/bag)

And there's Lou Mitchell's a little less than block west of the Great Hall on Jackson, and Al's Italian Beef a block west on Adams.

Good food to be had all around. The problem is what to pick. Leave the station!

What EXACTLY is the DIFFERENCE between the TE and the SL? They BOTH leave Maricopa Arizona at the same time on the schedule. I realize there is just one train, but do they operate on different days per week, OR, are their routes different?

It is one physical train between Los Angeles and San Antonio, TX that runs 3 days a week. At San Antonio, the train splits (or combines), with the Texas Eagle section (21/22) heading to (or coming from) Chicago, and the Sunset section (1/2) heading to (or coming from) New Orleans.

One goes to New Orleans, the other goes to Chicago. The train splits in San Antonio.

Also, the Texas Eagle runs from San Antonio to Chicago every day, not just on the days that the SL runs.

Hey THANKS! Took this train last January and liked it SO MUCH, I am doing the same exact trip again this January! Only this time I booked a roomette.

Question #2: I booked my roomette in October. Are they assigned in a certain way? Are they assigned like, upper first, THEN lower? I checked my Reservation confirmation and don't see a roomette number. Thanks for your response.

You should definitely have one, they're assigned at the time of booking.

By default, they book in a particular order, but it scatters them to keep the loading even. Upon request, the agent can book a specific room, as long as it is available, regardless of the preprogrammed order.

I received my bedrooms the moment I booked them, so you should definitely call and check.

Also thanks for the dollar amount, appreciate it.

Hey THANKS! Took this train last January and liked it SO MUCH, I am doing the same exact trip again this January! Only this time I booked a roomette.

Question #2: I booked my roomette in October. Are they assigned in a certain way? Are they assigned like, upper first, THEN lower? I checked my Reservation confirmation and don't see a roomette number. Thanks for your response.
May not be on the reservation confirmation but should be on the e-ticket.

I probably asked these two questions somewhere earlier, but can't seem to find it so I'll ask again.

1) Should I expect the Amtrak train to be packed Dec 30th - Jan 2nd? I figured some people would be returning home then, but maybe they'd wait a little later too?

2) How early can we board the train? For instance if it's a 4:05 departure, can we get on around 3:00? I like to beat crowds and what not, but if it can't be done, then so be it. Do sleeper car people get to board faster? I think I recall someone saying they get special privileges?

1.) Expect the trains to be pretty full during that period.

2) I didn't go back and read the whole thread so don't know where you are boarding and the answer somewhat depends on that.

At originating stations, trains are generally opened for occupancy about 25-30 minutes before departure. Sleeping car passengers are generally called first. Over an hour before departure, the train may not even be spotted at the platform. At intermediate stations, boarding happens when the train shows up. There is no such thing as early boarding because the thing isn't there.

There are some early boarding exceptions, like the eastbound LSL at Chicago opening for occupancy by sleeping car passengers approximately 90 minutes before departure for the "wine and cheese reception."

Yes.

4:05 is CL to Chicago

Also, checked bagged. Does it work like airplanes? I don't have to worry about picking it up until my last stop? Or do I have to get it each time I change trains?

Actually, the airlines "do it like the railroad" rather than the other way around :)

Railroads were checking baggage through to the destination and interlining it between carriers from the 19th century on. Airlines picked up on the established RR practices that Amtrak is continuing.

Well, there's my history lesson for the day! Never knew that. Quite interesting, but certainly makes sense.

Might be a silly question. How do we know what track we go to for the train? Are they always on the same track or do they change? I assume they change. When we get there will they have a sign or something saying Capitol Limited Track D. Or something like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back