Bedrooms, shared door question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerP42

Conductor
Hello, as some may know, I am taking my dream trip for my birthday! Anyways, I will be in a bedroom on the SWC and the CS. I was just curious about the door between the 2 bedrooms ( I have bedroom D and bedroom C, respectively). I was wondering if there is a way to lock it from my side so that the other people cannot open it while I am in my bedroom or out of it.

AFAIK, all bedroom doors can be locked from both sides. It is only on The Silver Streak that the locks pop open when jiggled.

The only thing to worry about is the gap between some of the doors. That's why I carry some duct tape. I've had to seal 1/2" gaps twice in the last year.

Jim

We have had a door open on its own with an interesting meeting with our fellow guests in the other room. :eek: But most of the time the door is secure and except for the rattling on the old Superliners (bring the duct tape), had no problems.

We have had a door open on its own with an interesting meeting with our fellow guests in the other room. :eek: But most of the time the door is secure and except for the rattling on the old Superliners (bring the duct tape), had no problems.
I had that happen on two separate trips. The lock that was supposed to keep the door shut was, in one case, not locked, and in the other case, broken. On just the correct curve with just the correct force, the door rolled open on its own. Not good.

In the case of the broken lock, no amount of tape and wedging of towels would stop the door from opening every five minutes. I was at a total loss as to how things would work when the next room became occupied. I really lucked out. I was in Room B with the connecting door to Room C. A family came in that had booked Rooms C and D with the assurance that those rooms connected. They do not. But B and C do, so I swapped my Room B for their Room D, and the problem was solved. They got the connecting rooms they desired, and I got a room where the connecting door lock worked.

AFAIK, all bedroom doors can be locked from both sides. It is only on The Silver Streak that the locks pop open when jiggled.
That makes it sound like the door must be unlocked from both sides, rather than from either side. I thought it could be unlocked (with the proper tool) from either side, and did not require action on both sides. Can someone comment?

There are locks on both sides of the partition, one at floor level and one at ceiling level. Both sides must be unlocked for the partition to open up.

It's a good idea to try to slide it open when you first occupy the room. If it moves, get the SCA to lock it up on both sides right away so you are not inconvenienced during your trip.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back