Bedrooms on Superliner and Viewliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattN

which bedrooms are the best on the california zephyr and the lake shore limited and also coast starlight

E is hands down the best and favorite on the superliners. On the viewliners it's give or take. I think it's A which you would be sitting forward. But try to avoid A on the superliners. Smaller and more noise then the others.

Good Luck,

Steve

I am not sure about the Lakeshore Limited, but the B bedrooms on the Silvers and Cardinal Viewliners are the best in my opinion - because the couch faces forward.

I am on the Silver Meteor right now and the B bedroom is facing forward (I am not in it though - I'm in a roomette)

I am not sure about the Lakeshore Limited, but the B bedrooms on the Silvers and Cardinal Viewliners are the best in my opinion - because the couch faces forward.

I am on the Silver Meteor right now and the B bedroom is facing forward (I am not in it though - I'm in a roomette)
I forgot it was B thanks for the clear up. It was a 50/50 shot so I guessed A. So you want B then.

E is hands down the best and favorite on the superliners. On the viewliners it's give or take. I think it's A which you would be sitting forward. But try to avoid A on the superliners. Smaller and more noise then the others.

Good Luck,

Steve
why is e so great

Good Luck,

Steve
why is e so great
E is next to the stairs, right near the coffee station. One of the Conductors told me that E is the largest of all.

D is nice too, but we prefer E. Even though it is next to the stairs, the traffic/noise did not seem to be bad.

Enjoy your trip!

Good Luck,

Steve
why is e so great
E is next to the stairs, right near the coffee station. One of the Conductors told me that E is the largest of all.

D is nice too, but we prefer E. Even though it is next to the stairs, the traffic/noise did not seem to be bad.

Enjoy your trip!
Isn't E backwards when you take the train would D be better if the train is going forward

Good Luck,

Steve
why is e so great

Enjoy your trip!

Isn't E backwards when you take the train would D be better if the train is going forward
E seems to be the most favored bedroom by all the members here on AU.

Good Luck,

Steve
why is e so great

Enjoy your trip!
Depends on how the car is oriented and there is no to be sure of that. Any room can be either forward or backward depending on how the car is oriented that day in that consist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good Luck,

Steve
why is e so great

Enjoy your trip!
Depends on how the car is oriented and there is no to be sure of that. Any room can be either forward or backward depending on how the car is oriented that day in that consist.
This is true for Superliners but I thought Viewliners had to have a particular end facing the Diner and that meant they always traveled in the same direction?

This is true for Superliners but I thought Viewliners had to have a particular end facing the Diner and that meant they always traveled in the same direction?
Generally true for the car adjacent to the Diner, but I have often seen the other ones oriented any which way.

Good Luck,

Steve
why is e so great

Enjoy your trip!

When are the bedrooms 'assigned'? When you make reservations or on boarding? I guess the trick would be to get there early to gain the prime locations?

They're assigned at the time of the reservation.

On the SLs, E also has the benefit of one neighbor, so less chance of a noisy neighbor ruining a trip. And as was mentioned, they can face either way - it's a crap shoot.

Good Luck,

Steve
why is e so great

Enjoy your trip!

When are the bedrooms 'assigned'? When you make reservations or on boarding? I guess the trick would be to get there early to gain the prime locations?
Bear in mind that while you can't see what room you are getting when you book on the website, you can if you reserve with an agent by phone.

Which room I get is important to me, more for avoiding the locations I don't like than getting the "perfect" room (for me, roomette 3 or 4). So I check prices on the website, but then book with an agent for sleeper trips so I know what room I am getting.

The Crescent, per our car attendant, turns around in New Orleans so the cars face the same way relative to the front of the train. I assume that is true in NYP.

The Crescent, per our car attendant, turns around in New Orleans so the cars face the same way relative to the front of the train. I assume that is true in NYP.
At the far terminal of the run, as opposed to the home terminal, they usually just turn the consist as you have said, unless there is a bad order car. However, the originating yard may mix or match depending on the equipment and inspection needs, and in swapping cars in and out of the consist, it can be "whatever" in terms of direction (at least for Superliners, which are truly direction neutral).

In my neck of the woods, Seattle isn't the home terminal of either of its long distance trains, the Builder and the Starlight in terms of equipment. So they mostly just turn them around unless there is something wrong. The home terminals as far as the equipment goes for those trains are Chicago and Los Angeles respectively. At LA or Chicago, they'll mix and match as necessary, such as cutting cars in and out for scheduled inspection or other needs.

Not knowing your area, my guess is that the consist is made up at New York's Sunnyside Yard and just turned around in NOL. I am pretty sure the Sunset's home is LA.

Last edited by a moderator:
The consist is generally wyed in NOL, assuming no problems. In NY, you can't get into the Sunnyside yard without going around the loop (which of course results in a turned train), unless one comes out of the 2 tunnels that normally only handle inbound traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back