Bedroom Suite Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickrapak

Service Attendant
I am looking at taking the Coast Starlight on 7/2 from Oakland to Seattle. Since we are traveling with 5 people (2 children), two roomettes are too small, but the cost of two bedrooms easily exceeds the cost of three roomettes. My question is this: Does the Bedroom Suite cost the same as two bedrooms, or is there a discount of some sort for booking two adjoining rooms?

Nick,

There is no discount for the suite, which is simply two adjoining bedrooms with a connecting door that's opened for you.

I am looking at taking the Coast Starlight on 7/2 from Oakland to Seattle. Since we are traveling with 5 people (2 children), two roomettes are too small, but the cost of two bedrooms easily exceeds the cost of three roomettes. My question is this: Does the Bedroom Suite cost the same as two bedrooms, or is there a discount of some sort for booking two adjoining rooms?
You might look to see if you could get roomettes 1 & 2 plus deluxe bedroom E (around the corner) and price that. Sometimes roomette 1 is a crew service room though on the EB and CS.

You might look to see if you could get roomettes 1 & 2 plus deluxe bedroom E (around the corner) and price that. Sometimes roomette 1 is a crew service room though on the EB and CS.
Roomette #1 on a Superliner is never sold, even if the attendant doesn't use it, which is very rare.

Also something to note, only bedrooms B & C and also D & E can be made into suites. Those two pairs have the walls that open. So if you end up with any other pair combo, you cannot have a suite.

Also something to note, only bedrooms B & C and also D & E can be made into suites. Those two pairs have the walls that open. So if you end up with any other pair combo, you cannot have a suite.
Well if you acall and assume that you get an agent who knows what they are doing they will sell you the suite and then they should ensure you have the 2 bedrooms and then if things are really going right the attendent should know before you board and have the wall opened up for you. :eek:

Roomette #1 on a Superliner is never sold, even if the attendant doesn't use it, which is very rare.
Where else would the attendent stay? Is there a space for them in the crew dorm?

Where else would the attendent stay? Is there a space for them in the crew dorm?
Generally, yes, there is an extra room. There are 8 rooms on the crew side, so unless there is both an assistant cook and two SA's in dining car, then there would be an extra crew room. And if the dorm isn't being split half crew/half passenger, then definately.

Generally, yes, there is an extra room. There are 8 rooms on the crew side, so unless there is both an assistant cook and two SA's in dining car, then there would be an extra crew room. And if the dorm isn't being split half crew/half passenger, then definately.

So they stay in there car to make it easier on themselfs? Since they are right there vs. being a few cars away?

So they stay in there car to make it easier on themselfs? Since they are right there vs. being a few cars away?
That - and if a passenger rings their call button in the middle of the night, the SA would not know if (s)he is a few cars away.
True, good point. Also, I guess if they have a PAX boarding in the middle of the night it makes it less of a walk to get the door open for them.

Well if you acall and assume that you get an agent who knows what they are doing they will sell you the suite and then they should ensure you have the 2 bedrooms and then if things are really going right the attendent should know before you board and have the wall opened up for you. :eek:
First time I tried to book a suite, the agent did not know what they were doing. I did not know much then either and god C & D.

Even when we did get the correct pair, no one seemed to realize we were together until tickets were pulled, then they asked if we wanted the wall opened.

First time I tried to book a suite, the agent did not know what they were doing. I did not know much then either and god C & D.

Even when we did get the correct pair, no one seemed to realize we were together until tickets were pulled, then they asked if we wanted the wall opened.
:lol: :lol: I guess I assumed a little to much :eek: I just thought that Amtrak would be able to do something like that. Since the attendent should see the same people in the same room or am I thinking about it wrong here a bedroom suite is just a reservation with 2 bedrooms tied to it. I always thought it would be its own thing.

:lol: :lol: I guess I assumed a little to much :eek: I just thought that Amtrak would be able to do something like that. Since the attendent should see the same people in the same room or am I thinking about it wrong here a bedroom suite is just a reservation with 2 bedrooms tied to it. I always thought it would be its own thing.
Yeah, it is just a reservation with two bedrooms. I do not believe Amtrak has anywhere to note a bedroom suite. I could be wrong.

Yeah, it is just a reservation with two bedrooms. I do not believe Amtrak has anywhere to note a bedroom suite. I could be wrong.
They don't have a room "type" called bedroom suite, they just sell you two bedroms. In fact, the first person listed on the reservation gets any AGR points if they're a member for the first bedroom, and the second person gets the points for the second bedroom, again assuming that they are an AGR member and the number was provided.

Amtrak can note on the reservation that you want the "suite", meaning that if the attendant reads his car manifest, that he/she would know to open the wall before you get there, but that's the extent of things.

They don't have a room "type" called bedroom suite, they just sell you two bedroms. In fact, the first person listed on the reservation gets any AGR points if they're a member for the first bedroom, and the second person gets the points for the second bedroom, again assuming that they are an AGR member and the number was provided.

Amtrak can note on the reservation that you want the "suite", meaning that if the attendant reads his car manifest, that he/she would know to open the wall before you get there, but that's the extent of things.

Oh okay thats neat on with the AGR points I didn't know that. Although it makes sense.

Thanks for clearing up how the attendant knows.

Oh okay thats neat on with the AGR points I didn't know that. Although it makes sense.
Just as an FYI, that's how AGR points work anytime you book more than one room on a single reservation. If one books two roomettes, the points for the first room will go to the first person listed on the res, the points for the second room will go to the second person listed on the res.

So for example, if one had a family of 4 and decided to get two roomettes, make sure that the first and second person on the reservation have AGR numbers. And position is critical, if for example both mom and dad have an AGR number, but dad is listed first and mom is listed either third or last and the kids have no AGR numbers, then the points on the second room would be lost. No one will get them.

Of course there is no good reason not to simply enroll the entire family anyhow, but still when booking more than one room be careful that you list the passengers in the order that you want the points to be awarded.

Ok. Amend my suggestion to 2, 4 and E.

Just as an FYI, that's how AGR points work anytime you book more than one room on a single reservation. If one books two roomettes, the points for the first room will go to the first person listed on the res, the points for the second room will go to the second person listed on the res.

So for example, if one had a family of 4 and decided to get two roomettes, make sure that the first and second person on the reservation have AGR numbers. And position is critical, if for example both mom and dad have an AGR number, but dad is listed first and mom is listed either third or last and the kids have no AGR numbers, then the points on the second room would be lost. No one will get them.

Of course there is no good reason not to simply enroll the entire family anyhow, but still when booking more than one room be careful that you list the passengers in the order that you want the points to be awarded.
Thanks for that! And by enrolling an entire family you can get your referral points for yourself :lol:

One of the pitfalls of the Viewliner is you can only combine bedrooms A & B 'cause that's all there is. Maybe the new crop will have a couple of more to offer.

Hey, I'll be boarding on the CS in LA on the same day you'll be boarding in Oakland. That means you'll miss me by one day. Lucky you! :p

Hey, I'll be boarding on the CS in LA on the same day you'll be boarding in Oakland. That means you'll miss me by one day. Lucky you! :p
:huh:

If you board in LAX on 7/2 @ 10:15 AM, it arrives into OKJ @ 9:32 PM on 7/2 also! So how do you miss him by 1 day? :huh: (Unless you get off before OKJ.)

:huh:

If you board in LAX on 7/2 @ 10:15 AM, it arrives into OKJ @ 9:32 PM on 7/2 also! So how do you miss him by 1 day? :huh: (Unless you get off before OKJ.)
HEY... YOU GOTTA SPOIL ALL MY FUN? :lol:

Seriously, did you notice the time of my post? It was the middle of the night. I was not having any luck sleeping so got up half asleep, booted my computer and got on AU.

After reading the posting and when I checked out the pdf schedule for the CS I wearily looked at the left side of the time table instead of the right. That error made me think the departure was in the evening - the arrival time of the southbound run in LAX instead of the correct AM departure. So that's how "I" thought I missed him by one day.

However, with your catching the error and posting it, you've probably wound up scaring the tar out of Nickrapak! :eek: Don't worry Nick; we're not going to be on the Orient Express and there'll be no remaking of the movie... "Murder on the Orient Express!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't worry Nick; we're not going to be on the Orient Express and there'll be no remaking of the movie... "Murder on the Orient Express!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Unless I happen to be on it too! :D Then Joe would probably "Throw the_traveler (and maybe Mamma) from the train"! :lol: :lol: :lol:
throwMama2.jpg

If you looked like this, I wouldn't have to throw you from the train.

The conductor would do it for me! :D :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back