Bear DPF going back to overhaul

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
Rumor has it that Gunn wants all overhaul facilities to resume normal operations and start overhauls around the country.

Rumor has it that Hialeah will be getting 169 coaches added to the PM schedule. Added to the Diners, V/L's, lounges and crew dorms, thats 281 cars!!! We anticipate adding 2 new tracks to accomodate the cars and an overhead roof being installed within the next 4 to 5 months.

B)

So, do the coaches include Short Distance ones as well as Amfleet II's?

I guess the heater might help reduce the problems with the cold weather. So what does it mean? What exactly is an Overhaul?

Well even though I'm not Miami Joe, I believe an overhaul means replacing old equipment on the car, putting in new windows, gutting the interior, and putting in a new one. I would be really curious to see what kind of refrubishment the food service cars will receive (I'm doubting the Acela design).

Amfleet said:
Well even though I'm not Miami Joe, I believe an overhaul means replacing old equipment on the car, putting in new windows, gutting the interior, and putting in a new one. I would be really curious to see what kind of refrubishment the food service cars will receive (I'm doubting the Acela design).
That sounds about right. I know this is a little off topic, but does anyone else dislike the refurbished Viewliner? Any body know of any that were refurbished besides "Gulf View" and "American View"?

I wouldn't call them refurbished, but they had the window shades removed and replaced by curtains. Some don't even have a curtain or shade!

Add "Summer View" to your list.

Thanks, Click Here to view the Updated Roster, Plus a Change in 62091's Status. Amfleet, if you scroll down to the bottom, you'll see you've recieved credit where credit is due.

Thanks for the credit. Also 62091 has been spooted on the Cardinal as a revenue sleeper. According a member at Trainorders it received new trucks and I remember Miami Joe saying it got a coat of paint and new seat fabric on the interior.

Regarding the curtain, it does do an insufficent job of blocking out the over powering flourecent lighting in the hall, but it is better than nothing. I wish they could turn a couple off at night.

When did it say that? I got a PM from Joe last night saying it was once again having truck problems and was in D.C.

It was back in December. Remember this came from an unoffical source so the old trucks still could have been on there. I do beleive though that it was used in revenue service.

Maybe this will mean that other cars will go through the full e-cleaning they are supposed to in the first place. Apparently during the last few years they haven't really gotten the full-scale job because of the budget.

I have a feeling it ran in revenue service too, but is having problems again, I do know that it was running for a brief period of time. I looked in a Railfan and Railroad which said Bear would be working on restoring Single Level cars and overhauling Amfleets, while Beech Grove works on the Superliners.

One more thing I know of that all Viewliners are having done is the replacement of the loks. The cars that just have the lock/unlock switch are having those removed and the bar with switch installed instead. It is said that passengers recieve better security with this, but now the is no way to lock your room from the outside leaving you vulnerable to break ins at meals or smoking breaks.

I also prefer the original locks as well, besides if someone were to pass out or couldn't open their lock up from the inside for some reason, you'd have difficulty getting in to help them. The original locks are also (Slightly) simpler to operate.

So the orginal (unrefurbed, whatever...) Viewliners were able to be locked from the out side when you went to the Lounge or Diner? This wasn't the case on my Viewliner on the Silver M.

Lets say "as built" for sake of arguement, but yes since you had a "refurbed" Viewliner, it can only be locked from the inside. With the "as builts" you could use a key (or flathead screw driver perhaps) to lock it from the outside. There is also a little thing you can pull on the outside of the door as well to "lock" it.

I'm not saying they don't work, but I prefer being able to let myself in when my Mom is taking a nap, rather than having to wake her up. As for an unknown person letting themself in, what if someone is in the room? Caught in the act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back