BC vs coach question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[Moderator's note - This thread was split off after being posted to a 2003 thread]

Being a newbie here thought it better to revive an old thread vice start a new one asking the same question. I recently rode the Palmetto from RVR to CHS and back in Business. I took a look in a coach car and it looked pretty much the same. The only difference I could tell is that it appeared their might have been a little less leg room, but not really sure. Was not offered any complimentary drinks, snacks pillow or blanket and did not see any installed entertainment that one of the poster in the thread years ago mentioned.

What are the advantages of Business class if any on this train besides not having to stand in the longer coach line and perhaps more leg room than coach? I plan to take this same route about once a year and trying to determine if it is worth the added costs. Thank in advance to anyone who will answer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Business Class on the Palmetto features Wi-Fi connectivity. There usually is one coach that offers Wi-Fi on the Palmetto (in addition to the Cafe), but it generally has a lot less legroom since it is a standard corridor coach. The long distance coaches (the rear three cars) generally have comparable leg room, but lack the Wi-Fi of Business Class. You are still entitled to the comp beverages in the lounge, you may just have to ask the Lounge Car Attendant when you go in there (it's not served to you at seat like on an airline or Acela First Class). Hope that helps!

Business Class on the Palmetto features Wi-Fi connectivity. There usually is one coach that offers Wi-Fi on the Palmetto (in addition to the Cafe), but it generally has a lot less legroom since it is a standard corridor coach. The long distance coaches (the rear three cars) generally have comparable leg room, but lack the Wi-Fi of Business Class. You are still entitled to the comp beverages in the lounge, you may just have to ask the Lounge Car Attendant when you go in there (it's not served to you at seat like on an airline or Acela First Class). Hope that helps!
Yes this helps - thank you, next time I will know to ask! I take it the post below (from 11 years ago) is obsolete at this point? I do not recall seeing any TV's/Movies or newspapers on the car nor did you mention this as a benefit.

As Amfleet alluded to I have ridden the Palmetto a couple of times before (the last being at the end of July). Nonetheless here is what can be expected from Palmetto Business Class, the car is located towards the front of the train, ahead of the lounge, but behind the baggage car. The cars are all refurbished up to Concept 2000 Standards (the blue and grey style). The car features movies on TV screens (the TVs are up in the baggage racks) which are kept silent. You can access the audio for the TVs (or the limited music library) by connecting headphones to an outlet in the arm rest (similar to the style used on Boeing 757's, 767's, and 777's but these take regular headphones). Despite the music being offered I would still recommend bringing a CD player (or something along those lines). Towards the rear of the car (by the restrooms) is a cooler which has complimentary beverages and coffee, you may recieve a copy of USA Today, but I'm not sure if this is still offered. Business Class also offers one main adavantage over Coach, not as many people. Because so few people use Business Class there are plenty of empty seats (which is more of a key if you are travelling solo overnight). Also be advised that until Febuary 19 this schedule change is in effect for the NB Palmetto. Enjoy the trip!

The TV's are long gone...

There should have been a few newspapers on board...They usually end up in luggage rack somewhere. Just ask the crew when they walk thru....

I have gone from Washington DC to Newport News VA back and forth and have always chosen business class. To me, it was well worth the extra $50 spent. The seats in business class are larger and you get more room. There are fewer people in the business class car, and it is more quiet. Back when I did this, you could get soft drinks included in the price of being in business class. It was close to the snack bar, so it wasn't too far to get a snack and/or a beer or wine. As others have said, I believe it depends on the route/which train you're on. My experiences were always pleasant, and I felt it was worth the extra money spent.

Yeah, definitely take the comment from 2003 as being irrelevant. Back in those days the Palmetto went all the way to Miami, iPods/iPhones/iPads did not exist, and Wi-Fi on trains/planes/buses wasn't even considered.

I have gone from Washington DC to Newport News VA back and forth and have always chosen business class. To me, it was well worth the extra $50 spent. The seats in business class are larger and you get more room. There are fewer people in the business class car, and it is more quiet. Back when I did this, you could get soft drinks included in the price of being in business class. It was close to the snack bar, so it wasn't too far to get a snack and/or a beer or wine. As others have said, I believe it depends on the route/which train you're on. My experiences were always pleasant, and I felt it was worth the extra money spent.
There are a bunch of different business classes but the seats on that route are not larger. They do have some extra leg room. Between DC and Newport News there are usually fewer people but on that same train between Washington and New York it might be the most crowded car on the train. And business class could also be a very noisy car, it depends who is riding. Business Class is a good service for Amtrak. Charge $50 and give out a few newspapers and sodas......Also offers something for Guest Rewards feel good upgrades.

Being a newbie here thought it better to revive an old thread vice start a new one asking the same question. I recently rode the Palmetto from RVR to CHS and back in Business. I took a look in a coach car and it looked pretty much the same. The only difference I could tell is that it appeared their might have been a little less leg room, but not really sure. Was not offered any complimentary drinks, snacks pillow or blanket and did not see any installed entertainment that one of the poster in the thread years ago mentioned.

What are the advantages of Business class if any on this train besides not having to stand in the longer coach line and perhaps more leg room than coach? I plan to take this same route about once a year and trying to determine if it is worth the added costs. Thank in advance to anyone who will answer!
The reason I took BC on the Palmetto is so I'd have my own row. Travelling from NY-SAV, for 15 hours in a seat, I need my own row. Next time maybe I'll just take a silver service and get a roomette.

I have taken BC I the Palmetto a couple of times. Last time was from DC to Sav about a year and a half ago. All I recall is that I was in a front row by a window. I think I slept sold all the way to DC. Anyway, by the time I woke up, BC was pretty full. I don't know if I smelled, snored, or just was sleeping too hard, but when I woke up, the seat next to mine was the only one unoccupied. Eek.

Anyway, BC (heck, the whole train) empties from DC to SAV. Both times in BC, I was the last passenger in the car between Charleston and Savannah.

That all being said, if I had the cash and/or points, I'd take a roomette over BC in a heartbeat. Then again, if they returned the 2x1 faux leather seating, THAT would be my preference.

In my experience there is really no way to know in advance what paying extra for "business class" will actually buy you. It might be a wider seat, more legroom, a better recline, more storage, a reading light, an electric outlet, a nearby restroom, a newspaper, or a free drink. Or absolutely nothing at all. Only Amtrak knows what you'll be receiving on any given train on any given day. Amtrak talks about business class on their website but I wouldn't take anything they say about it too seriously.

I really think Amtrak needs to do something to really differentiate their business class and make it consistent and worthwhile. I rarely if ever take it. About the only time is if I have a sleeper south of NYP, I'll end up in Business class up to Albany simply as a result the way the ticketing works.

I don't bother otherwise.

As far as I know, the Surfliner is really the only Business Class that you get a lot for your money. And it does not cost a fortune above coach to upgrade at all.

Included In Business Class

- Snack packs, muffins, pastries depending on the time of day.

- Coffee and Juice (All Day)

- Wine, Soda, or Water (Afternoon Only)

- Reserved Seat (Coach Is Unreserved On The Surfliner)

Also, with business class on the Surfliner, it is generally much quieter than coach.

Were taking the Cascades in May from SEA to PDX in business class. Does anyone know what I can expect other than a bigger seat?

Were taking the Cascades in May from SEA to PDX in business class. Does anyone know what I can expect other than a bigger seat?
On my Cascades trip SEA-VAC-SEA last May with my father, we upgraded to BC for the return leg. The main difference was three-across (2+1) seating, as opposed to 2+2 of normal coach. Also, there was more room in the car and we were closer to the cafe and lounge...on the trip north to Vancouver, they loaded all the passengers for Canada (which was most of us) into the very first coach, so that we had one car which was almost full followed by four more cars that were almost entirely empty. They did give us one voucher for (I believe) $3 per person to buy a snack or drink in the cafe car, but that was it...no complimentary beverages, snacks or refills.

I'm not sorry I did it once, but I probably wouldn't spend the extra again.

ETA: Be advised that on board the Cascades Talgos that while there are outlets, there is only a single outlet for each pair of seats (vice two for each pair as you normally find aboard Superliner coach). Bring a power strip if you think that the both of you will want to "plug in".

Possibly, such as changed, but Business Class would also include priority boarding. I remember at WAS, there was a long line of coach passengers standing, waiting for the go-ahead to board a regional. Over the PA system, they would announce, first, that boarding for disabled and business class passengers would begin, allowing such to stroll right on by the line, proceed thru the gate, and onto the train.

Some people (like me) might think that priority boarding, and being able to skip standing on those lines, might be worth a few bucks.

if coach is packed, biz is worth it. if coach isn't packed, biz is a waste. re: boarding, i like to be one of the last to board anyway so that i can pick who i sit next to (if i have to sit with someone).

Since the Heartland Flyer and Texas Eagle are my Home Trains, I generally have no interaction with Business Class; however they one time I used it to travel from Chicago to Kansas City via St. Louis, it was well worth it and made for a very enjoyable day long trip, starting with a smooth check in and boarding at CUS. Of course the downfall came when I hit Kansas City just past 10 pm and had to work the wheel for 5 hours to get back to Norman as I didn't feel like checking into a hotel for a few hours.

Possibly, such as changed, but Business Class would also include priority boarding. I remember at WAS, there was a long line of coach passengers standing, waiting for the go-ahead to board a regional. Over the PA system, they would announce, first, that boarding for disabled and business class passengers would begin, allowing such to stroll right on by the line, proceed thru the gate, and onto the train.

Some people (like me) might think that priority boarding, and being able to skip standing on those lines, might be worth a few bucks.
On the Surfliner you get priority boarding at the San Diego, Los Angeles but not sure about Goleta or SLO. At Los Angeles the red caps will take you via the lounge back door.

I guess we should add to the list. "LOUNGE ACCESS" where available. Now this gets tricky. Business class gets access to the Metropolitan lounge but I don't think Acela Business class gets access.

On my Cascades trip SEA-VAC-SEA last May with my father, we upgraded to BC for the return leg. The main difference was three-across (2+1) seating, as opposed to 2+2 of normal coach. Also, there was more room in the car and we were closer to the cafe and lounge...on the trip north to Vancouver, they loaded all the passengers for Canada (which was most of us) into the very first coach, so that we had one car which was almost full followed by four more cars that were almost entirely empty. They did give us one voucher for (I believe) $3 per person to buy a snack or drink in the cafe car, but that was it...no complimentary beverages, snacks or refills.

I'm not sorry I did it once, but I probably wouldn't spend the extra again.

ETA: Be advised that on board the Cascades Talgos that while there are outlets, there is only a single outlet for each pair of seats (vice two for each pair as you normally find aboard Superliner coach). Bring a power strip if you think that the both of you will want to "plug in".
Ok, so instead of providing drinks they are giving out coupons which are pretty much good for one drink / bottled water with some change left over in the bistro. Not enough for a wine but enough for a soft drink or water. With my weekly ride in the Surfliner business class, I actually have stacks of the snack packs and wine sitting around in my cabinet. Last summer, I took a bunch of them with we on the San Joaquin including the little bottles of wine they give out. Will be taking a stack of them and bottles on my trip on the CS and the EB in May.

IMG_0717 by seat38a, on Flickr

On the Surfliner you get priority boarding at the San Diego, Los Angeles but not sure about Goleta or SLO. At Los Angeles the red caps will take you via the lounge back door.

I guess we should add to the list. "LOUNGE ACCESS" where available. Now this gets tricky. Business class gets access to the Metropolitan lounge but I don't think Acela Business class gets access.
If we got lounge access with BC then HECK YES Ill upgrade ! .... its not like PDX Met lounge is THAT packed any ways .

Now this gets tricky. Business class gets access to the Metropolitan lounge but I don't think Acela Business class gets access.
Kind of continuing with my previous point, the inconsistencies of class naming. On the Acela, Business class is not the highest class (matter of fact, BC is the lowest class). First class is the highest on the Acela, and it does indeed get lounge access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back