baggage transfer between trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tourlink99

Train Attendant
I'll be travelling between Tampa, Orlando, New Orleans, Chicago and Minneapolis in Sept. Should I check my bags all the way through or carry them myself. I'm physically able to carry my bags and I already know to bring a small bag with needed items. But it would be nice to have less to carry!

If your departure and arrival stations, including tranfer points are staffed, then you don't have to worry about checked baggage. Only thing you worry about is carry-on baggage. Make sure that you'll need the items during the entire journey. You'll have no access to checked baggage during the entire trip.

I've had bags transfered before (two transfers on the same bag through two major stations) and not had a problem. Amtrak is not like the airlines with losing bags, they are very reliable.

I've had several bag transfers on Amtrak and never lost one. They handle alot less bags and alot less trains run from station, so its hard to loose them, as compared to an airline. I'd go for it, because I hate dragging around my bags during layovers. They seem to get heavier as I lug them around.

Chris

My experience with Amtrak baggage service has always been good. However, be prepared in case train delays cause your baggage to arrive a day or two later than you had planned. That can happen, and you simply need to have an interim plan just in case.

I have not used the Checked baggage service much, but have always had good luck with them.

I had my bag arrive before I did once, because there were multiple departures.

However, i do occasionally see an open door on a baggage car. Is that bad? :eek:

Ocassionally the bag car door is open while the Conductor is in there shoving bags around. Other times the door simply just doesn't stay closed (which happens on about 1 in 10 cars). The Conductor is usually aware of the problem and keeps the bags far enough away the won't fall out. But in most circumstances it would require emergency braking in a curve or the train going on the ground to knock bags out of the bag car.

Back