baggage restrictions question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I know the checked restriction is 28x22x14 and 50lbs. I have 26" roller suitcases. The suitcase manufacturer lists it's demensions 26". They do not include the little feet and the handle. Will amtrak accept the bags if the handle and the little feet are slightly more than 28"? When I say slightly, I mean at most 29"

Thanks

I don't think that they get that crazy at measuring the bags, such that they worry about the feet and handles.

Amtrak is mainly concerned with the overall bulk of the suitcase.

I'm concerned about this as well. I just got new luggage for Xmas and my main piece that I need is almost 29" and that's NOT including wheels. I leave this Thursday for my Amtrak trip. Do you think they are going to keep me from boarding???

No, don't worry about it. Amtrak says their new policy is "strict" so that they can avoid hauling the six foot long military bags and the like people have brought aboard in the past. Pretty much any size roller suitcase is fine, just try to keep it from being too heavy if you might need a staff member to help you lift it as the weight is their real concern.

Thank you so much for answering. I have been sweating this out all afternoon and was ready to go buy all new luggage!!!! I hope I have a nice attendant who lets me slide.........

Like JC said, you should be fine, they don't break out the measuring tape on every bag. Basically if you could easily fit a body in there it aint gonna fly (or ride). :lol:

Back