Baggage questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theworldis

Train Attendant
I will be going from MA to CA at the end of the month. I have a few questions regarding baggage. It states two carry ons and two personal items (12x12x12). Would my lap and bag be considered a carry on because it is slightly larger than 12x12x12? Do they measure or is it something they are kind of lax about. My girlfriends purse is also slightly larger than 12x12x12 and we were hoping to bring two carry ons + her purse, my lap top bag, and a cooler. Does anyone know?? Thanks guys!

Purses, laptop cases etc are exempt from the carry-on item total. They would have to be exceptionally and noticeably larger than normal to be a problem.

In practice, if you can carry it without noticeable difficulty, it will not be questioned. No one is measuring. Although you may see a spot where you can set your bag to see if it is over the size limit. I've never seen anyone TOLD to put their bag their and check it, LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any carry-on bags are not measured or weighed at all - unless they are extraordinarily beyond the limit. Any checked bags are though, and must be under 50 lbs each. (If you checked 2 bags - one weighing 55 pounds and one weighing 17 pounds - they will make you rearrange your bags until the 55 lb bag is under 50 lbs. otherwise it will not be accepted. There is no "overweight charge" like on an airline.)

The only place I've seen anyone quested was by the awful Amtrak ticket agent in Poali, PA (who has a history of yelling at photographers). There was a woman getting on with three suitcases to head into PHL and connect to a LD train (I think to Florida) and was planning to check her bags after the short Keystone ride into PHL. I remember the agent saying it was up to the conductors once the train arrived she briefly told them her story and they let her on.

Baggage sizers have ended up in some wired places. Including on some random unstaffed platforms like Mount Joy, PA.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a baggage sizer sitting on the platform at Montpelier, VT (MPR) that never gets used and just fills up with snow in the winter. MPR is unstaffed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back