Baggage Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travelchick45

Train Attendant
We will be taking the Southwest Chief from Fort Madison to Albuquerque. Both stations have checked baggage service. When we check in Albuquerque will we hand our checked bags over to the person checking us in or do we keep them and give them to our attendant? We have a Roomette. Do they go to a baggage car or just in the lower level baggage closet?

You will present them to the station agent who will tag them and give the claim tags to you. The bags will be put into the baggage car. At your destination, you will go to baggage claim and present your part of the claim tags to the station agent. Your bags will be then given back to you.

jb

If you want access to your baggage during your trip, then do not check the baggage. In that case, you can store your bags on the lower level of your sleeper car.

We will be taking the Southwest Chief from Fort Madison to Albuquerque. Both stations have checked baggage service. When we check in Albuquerque will we hand our checked bags over to the person checking us in or do we keep them and give them to our attendant? We have a Roomette. Do they go to a baggage car or just in the lower level baggage closet?
You say you are taking SWC from Fort Madison, but say "When we check in Albuquerque will we hand our checked bags over ..." ??

If boarding in Albuquerque, you'll give your checked luggage to the agent inside the station at the Amtrak window.

Anyone getting off at Albuquerque can claim their checked luggage outside the station on the north side of the building where there is a fenced in area manned by station staff.

Just to clarify, if you have any hand baggage (that you want to access during the trip) those aren't given to the station agent. Any given to them will be carried in the baggage car, and you will have no access to them until you reach your final destination.

Check only your large heavy bags with the agent in the station (as long as there is baggage service at your destination, Amtrak is eliminating this service at some smaller stops) and take an overnight bag/backpack with everything you need while on the train.

As was stated, checked baggage is done in the station building. It's usually the same as the line for tickets, although there are exceptions (NY Penn Station has a separate baggage counter).

In general, one doesn't "check in" for Amtrak as one would for an airline. For long distance trains, the passenger meets the conductor on the platform typically, although there might be a check in line at some stations (Seattle for instance). Many trains one just walks onto the train and waits for a conductor to scan tickets or even sell onboard. For sleeper, there may or may not be a line. Every station is different. I've seen stations where they bring out barriers and clipboards, and others where it's more random.

What's important is that there's a supposed requirement that baggage be checked in at least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, although there may be some flexibility. When I was taking the CS from Seattle, there was a last call message for baggage about 12 minutes before scheduled departure.

You say you are taking SWC from Fort Madison, but say "When we check in Albuquerque will we hand our checked bags over ..." ??
Presumably, she is also going to be coming home from ABQ at some point, and checking baggage at a station she isn't familiar with (hence the question about checking bags in ABQ).
I meant boarding at FMD and deboarding in ABQ...but the reverse is the case on the return.

We have carry on bags we are keeping with us but there is one larger wheeled suitcase. It's bigger than carry on size so I would assume they will ask us to check it. It definitely won't fit in the roomette unless someone sleeps on top of it.

The SWC is a Superliner, and there is a luggage storage area on the lower level (near the entry door). You do not need to bring the bag to your room, nor are you required to check it. (You can if you wish, but you don't have to.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Be one of the first to board so you can select where you want to put this large bag on the luggage shelves. This way in case you need to access the bag, you can do it.
Until it gets shuffled around by all the other bags after yours :giggle:

It may get moved around on the shelf but you will still have access to it.

It would be my preference not to check it. I'm just paranoid enough about it not being taken off of the train at my stop to want to take care of it myself.

We have carry on bags we are keeping with us but there is one larger wheeled suitcase. It's bigger than carry on size so I would assume they will ask us to check it. It definitely won't fit in the roomette unless someone sleeps on top of it.
Amtrak carry-on size is actually pretty large. It's a max 28"x22"x14", which is 64 linear inches. That carry on size can be larger than a current common airline standard check-in max of 63 linear inches.

My large piece would be OK as carry on for Amtrak.

Has anyone ever been boarded to a sleeper by the conductor? Maybe a ticket scan in a lounge before boarding, but usually the SCA meets you, and checks you in against the manifest, sometimes the conductors come around later for tickets, sometimes they just check off against the SCA's list. I'm not saying it's not possible, but they usually just want to get the passengers on and leave.

My bag is 26 X 16 X 17
That should easily fit. Amtrak personnel are generally known for not taking out a tape measure. Worst case scenario is that they charge the $20 oversize fee. I doubt it gets to that point. No way they make you check it in.
Famous last words if the conductor refuses it.
Worst case scenario is the oversize fee for being 2 inches over in one dimension. It's not as if it won't fit in a roomette or storage bin. It would be well under the allowable size in two dimensions. I'd think it's more than likely they let it slide, but if the OP would rather not check in, $20 isn't a bad alternative.

Boarded to a sleeper by a conductor? That is routine for the wee hours on 7 and 8 in Fargo. In fact I had the same conductor coming and going last month, great guy.

I guess it makes sense to let the SCA sleep for part of the night. Unless there are a number of people getting on or off (which they would know in advance) the conductors are awake anyway.

Has anyone ever been boarded to a sleeper by the conductor? Maybe a ticket scan in a lounge before boarding...
Worse. Late at night/train late. Station staff let us out of the lounge and pointed what sleeper to go to. No Conductor or SCA present at the car. Conductor came by near departure to close the door. The poor traveler ahead of me going to the sleeper had never been on the train and didn't have a clue what to do. I had to brief them on what the deal was about their roomette, baggage, dining etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back