Baggage Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and my wife are planning a trip on the Capitol Limited from DC to Chicago, then the Southwestern Chief from Chicago to Fullerton, CA and will have a roomtte on both legs. I am trying to decide how to handle baggage. We will probably each have a large suitcase and a carry on bag. Should we check the suitcases in DC through to Fullerton and just bring on the carry-on, or would it be better to bring the suitcases on with us and put them in the baggage storage area?

My recommendation is that unless you are planning an overnight stopover in Chicago or think you will have some need of an item packed away in them that you check your large suitcases through from DC to Fullerton. That way you will not have the hassle of schlepping them around Chicago Union Station.

Be advised that since you have first class tickets, you may leave your carry on luggage in the checkroom of the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago between trains, in case you would like to pop outside for some fresh air or to head up to the Skydeck of the Willis (ex-Sears) Tower.

As long as you have nothing in your large bags that you will need until you arrive in Fullerton, I would advise checking the two large bags and just taking the carry on luggage with you. It will be much less hassle lugging them onto and off of the train in Chicago.

There is plenty of room to store larger bags on the Capitol Ltd and SW Chief in the lower level compartments if you choose to do so.

When you arrive in Chicago you can store your carry-ons in the Metro Lounge baggage area that is manned by Redcaps and is very safe.

That way you can enjoy some time walking around Chicago between trains. Dont forget that as a sleeper passenger you have the right to use the Metropolitan Lounge with a quiet area with TV and Wifi, free snacks and soft drinks and clean restrooms. :)

I would check the large bags. In the past, I worried about lost baggage but, since I've travelled Amtrak quite a bit, I have no problems checking luggage! How ever, if you decide to carry all luggage with you, there is usually space in the lower level racks & you can check them in the Chicago Metro Lounge, with a Red Cap!

Have Fun

I too second the "check your bags" replies! Just make sure what you need is in your carry-on bag(s)!

Your checked bags will be transferred between trains for you in CHI. And there is a very low chance that they will be put on a train going to Tokyo, Rio or Warsaw!
laugh.gif

I too second the "check your bags" replies! Just make sure what you need is in your carry-on bag(s)!

Your checked bags will be transferred between trains for you in CHI. And there is a very low chance that they will be put on a train going to Tokyo, Rio or Warsaw!
laugh.gif

Thanks for all the responses, looks like it's unanimous, check the bags.

We have done a couple trips from Philly to Florida and Atlanta, but this will be a first time going west so I am trying to get a handle on some of the things that are different.

Thanks again.

Dan

We have done a couple trips from Philly to Florida and Atlanta, but this will be a first time going west so I am trying to get a handle on some of the things that are different.
Aloha Dan

The biggest difference between a Philly, Florida, and Atlanta route, and a western route, beside the scenery, and towns, is where the Sun is. :rolleyes: You also need to track the time zone changes so that you get all of those great meals. :giggle:

My recommendation is that unless you are planning an overnight stopover in Chicago or think you will have some need of an item packed away in them that you check your large suitcases through from DC to Fullerton. That way you will not have the hassle of schlepping them around Chicago Union Station.

Be advised that since you have first class tickets, you may leave your carry on luggage in the checkroom of the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago between trains, in case you would like to pop outside for some fresh air or to head up to the Skydeck of the Willis (ex-Sears) Tower.
This is a free service and the person that runs it is very nice. I recommend tipping that person...

Even on our most complicated trips, our checked baggage has always made it with us. Check 'em. It will make your life easier.

Our trip in June will be the first time we cannot check our bags due to Galesburg (where we switch from the SWC to CZ) not offering checked baggage service. So we will have to haul them ourselves. Not looking forward to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back