Baggage question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Ryu

Conductor
So I am going to New York, but I am staying in Chicago for 2 days. Can I check in my baggage so that I can just pick it up at New york penn? Or do I have to check it in chicago again?

I have a similar question! I am going to NY and have like about 6 hours in Chicago. Do I have to collect the bags when I get off or transfer? I want to walk around town and was wondering also is there a baggage storage for my carry-ons.

I have a similar question! I am going to NY and have like about 6 hours in Chicago. Do I have to collect the bags when I get off or transfer? I want to walk around town and was wondering also is there a baggage storage for my carry-ons.
I am assuming that you will check some of your baggage and carry on some as well. Your checked baggage will be transfer from one train to the next for you; you do not need to re-claim or self-transfer those checked bags. You will need to do something with your carry-on baggage, either take it with you as you "walk around town" or you can use the paid storage lockers in Chicago Union Station that are located near the baggage claim area and in the Amtrak south boarding lounge.

EDIT: Also, if you are traveling in a sleeper, you can leave your carry-on baggage in the Metropolitan Lounge (only available to sleeping car passengers). If, however, you are traveling in coach, then you will not have access to the Metropolitan Lounge and will either need to hang on to carry-on baggage throughout your layover or use the storage lockers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean checked baggage?
huh.gif
If you check you bags in at say SEA right to NYP, they will be transfered in CHI for you. If you're in a sleeper on either segment, you can use the Metropolitan Lounge on CHI, and there is baggage storage (manned by a Red Cap) that you can leave your carry-ons while you explore CHI.
wink.gif

If you're in coach on both segments, I think (but I'm not sure) there is storage in the baggage room.

Back