Baggage question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eee

Train Attendant
Apologies for the dumb question, but this will be my first long-distance Amtrak trip.

I'm planning an AGR trip from St. Louis to Portland, OR. I want to bring my bicycle to tool around the bike mecca of Portland.

But how will that work? It looks like my itinerary will be to board an Illinois Service train (302) at 6:40am, then a two-hour layover in Chicago before I transfer to the Empire Builder.

How will that work with my bike? The Illinois Service only carries unboxed bikes, while I'd have to box my bike to put it on the Builder. If the Illinois Service train were late, that could be problematic, trying to locate a box and box my bike while the Builder is boarding.

Also, I assume I'll have to pay the fee for bringing a bike as checked luggage, or will that be included with my AGR points paid trip?

Well you have a couple options. Like you said you can bring your bike on board the Lincoln Service then check it once you get to Chicago. You'll have to buy a bike box in Chicago and take the pedals off to get it in there.

Option 2 is the easiest I think. Just check your bike from St. Louis so you don't have to mess with it in Chicago or on the Lincoln Service train. The kicker is that you'll get your bike a day later in Portland. So if you don't mind going a day without your bike do it that way. In STL, they will put your checked bike on the Texas Eagle, which has checked baggage. But since it will probably miss the connection to the Empire Builder in Chicago it will be put on the next days Builder.

Well you have a couple options. Like you said you can bring your bike on board the Lincoln Service then check it once you get to Chicago. You'll have to buy a bike box in Chicago and take the pedals off to get it in there.
Option 2 is the easiest I think. Just check your bike from St. Louis so you don't have to mess with it in Chicago or on the Lincoln Service train. The kicker is that you'll get your bike a day later in Portland. So if you don't mind going a day without your bike do it that way. In STL, they will put your checked bike on the Texas Eagle, which has checked baggage. But since it will probably miss the connection to the Empire Builder in Chicago it will be put on the next days Builder.
Thanks.

I really don't want to do without my bike for a day when I'm only gonna be there a few days.

I haven't booked my AGR travel yet, but Amtrak.com gives me the 302 train from STL to CHI. When I book, can I request the train that leaves STL a couple hours earlier, giving me a longer layover in Chicago? That'd presumably give me plenty of time to box my bike in Chicago.

It looks like, assuming they aren't out of boxes, the process will be pretty easy with a couple of tools. The website says all I have to do is remove the pedals and turn the handlebars sideways. If they are out of boxes, that could end very badly.

One of nice features of Amtrak's baggage policy is that you check bags between any two stations that offer checked baggage service, regardless of whether or not the trains you are taking offer such service.

In this case, what I would do is box the bike up and check it in St Louis. It can be carried on the Texas Eagle, which does offer checked baggage service to Chicago, then transferred to the Empire builder. Since the Eagle doesn't make a valid, same day connection to the Empire Builder, I'd check your bike a day before you leave. Perhaps two days before, because the Eagle leaves St Louis at 7:55 AM - unless you want to get to the station early in the morning, just check it two days before.

Yes, you will have to pay the $5 for bringing a bike as checked baggage. That's included in the AGR award.

I see Saxman beat me to it.

However, I'll note that if you check your bike in advance, you won't be without it for a day in Portland. That's what I'd do.

My experience with bike boxes and checking bikes is that you really only need to remove the front tire. The box will bulge a bit with the handlebars and pedals still attached, but in my experience I've always been allowed to check it that way. But I'd be prepared to break it down just in case.

However, I'll note that if you check your bike in advance, you won't be without it for a day in Portland. That's what I'd do.

My experience with bike boxes and checking bikes is that you really only need to remove the front tire. The box will bulge a bit with the handlebars and pedals still attached, but in my experience I've always been allowed to check it that way. But I'd be prepared to break it down just in case.
Thanks.

I'm actually planning on starting the trip by riding in the Moonlight Ramble in St. Louis (the midnight bike ride), then leaving the next morning. So checking it early won't be an option.

Thanks.

I'm actually planning on starting the trip by riding in the Moonlight Ramble in St. Louis (the midnight bike ride), then leaving the next morning. So checking it early won't be an option.
Do they sell bike boxes in St. Louis? Since it's a station with checked baggage (for the Eagle) I imagine they might. If so, perhaps you can...

1) bike in the Moonlight Ramble

2) buy a bike box in St. Louis while waiting for the 302

3) remove the pedals while waiting for the 302, and put them in a backpack

4) put the unboxed bike (sans pedals) on the 302, and carry on the bike box as carry-on (it's basically a specially-shaped cardboard box, right? which you buy collapsed and then put together? so I would think you could carry it on)

5) quickly put the bike in the box in Chicago, since you've already done the disassembly and acquired the box (no worries about not being able to buy a box in Chicago, less worries about not having time to box it in Chicago)

The one problem that remains is, you probably have to check your bike at least 30 minutes prior to departure of the Builder. Maybe more than 30; I don't know Chicago's policy on that. So if the 302 is really late, it's possible that even if you have the box and the time to get the bike in the box, you won't have time to check the bike.

I'd say your odds of this are low, though, and it's your best option. And as a fallback, in case of disaster: if you're only going to be in Portland "a few days", you can probably "day-check" your boxed bike in Chicago for something like $3-6/day, and reclaim it when you return to Chicago (ensuring your bike is safe while you're gone) and easily rent a bike in Portland (there's no shortage of opportunity for this). I know, that's not at all ideal as naturally you'd like your bike in Portland, but as I said the odds of needing to use this fallback plan are low, and at least it provides you safe storage for your bike and a bike to use in Portland.

Last edited by a moderator:
4) put the unboxed bike (sans pedals) on the 302, and carry on the bike box as carry-on (it's basically a specially-shaped cardboard box, right? which you buy collapsed and then put together? so I would think you could carry it on)
Collapsed bike boxes are quite large - basically the same size as a bike box, just flat. There's just no way that one could fit in the overhead racks in the car.

Collapsed bike boxes are quite large - basically the same size as a bike box, just flat. There's just no way that one could fit in the overhead racks in the car.
But there's some luggage storage at the end of the car, against the bulkhead, no? And a flattened box takes up no depth, just wall-space. I would think you could put it against the wall, and it wouldn't interfere with the aisle, the door, or the seating area. I can certainly envision this working in the Amfleet Is on the Keystone, but I don't know for sure about the Missiouri cars as I've never ridden one.

Would AGR allow me to take the train that leaves STL a couple hours earlier, giving me a four-hour-ish layover in Chicago? That seems like a good plan, plus since I'd be finishing the Moonlight Ramble at 2am, I wouldn't have too much time to kill between that and the 4:30am train departure.

Would AGR allow me to take the train that leaves STL a couple hours earlier, giving me a four-hour-ish layover in Chicago? That seems like a good plan, plus since I'd be finishing the Moonlight Ramble at 2am, I wouldn't have too much time to kill between that and the 4:30am train departure.
Possibly; only way to find out for sure is to call them. My limited dealings with them over the phone have been very positive, agents are flexible, understanding, accommodating. But it all depends who you talk to, I'm sure. Also, if you're told no, call again later -- you might speak with someone different who says yes.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I see there's an option on Amtrak.com to book AGR travel, but I get an error message telling me to call the 1-800 number.

Thanks for everyone's help.
I see there's an option on Amtrak.com to book AGR travel, but I get an error message telling me to call the 1-800 number.
You can only do trips involving one train and in coach on the website. Got to call them up.

But there's some luggage storage at the end of the car, against the bulkhead, no? And a flattened box takes up no depth, just wall-space. I would think you could put it against the wall, and it wouldn't interfere with the aisle, the door, or the seating area. I can certainly envision this working in the Amfleet Is on the Keystone, but I don't know for sure about the Missiouri cars as I've never ridden one.
Still an empty box is way too large for even the end of the car. Even storing it against the wall would have it block windows, much less getting it on the train. Why not just buy the box in Chicago? They'll have boxes there for sure.

Call AGR and see if you can take the earliest train. They might can get it done for you. They would probably just have to contact Amtrak Res while you're on hold to make it do that, but they have to put you on hold anyway. I forgot about suggesting check your bike a day early, but since you can't its just easiest to carry it with you and check in Chicago.

Still an empty box is way too large for even the end of the car.
Finally found dimensions of the Amtrak-sold box: 69"x41"x8.5" !!! That's much, much larger than bicycle boxes I've seen elsewhere; I wasn't expecting it to be so large, which is why I thought the folded box would work.

Why not just buy the box in Chicago? They'll have boxes there for sure.
I think the OP's problem with that was the time constraint that would be put on him (or her) if the train into Chicago was running late. If it was much over an hour late, the time needed to buy the box, break down the bike, and get it checked in for the EB at least half an hour before departure (assuming it had to be checked in by then) would be pretty short.

I really don't want to do without my bike for a day when I'm only gonna be there a few days.
As a biker and a train lover, I appreciate the effort you're putting into getting your bike to Portland for a couple days, but is it really worth it? If I were in your shoes (or cleats, as the case may be), I'd rent a bike when I got to Portland, and leave my bike at home. There's a nice bike rental store not more than 8 blocks from Portland Union Station:

Waterfront Bicycles

OK, I peeked. They want a fair amount of money for a nice road bike, but if you're only there for a couple days, it might be worth it just so you can ride a different bike, and avoid the box hassle.

As a biker and a train lover, I appreciate the effort you're putting into getting your bike to Portland for a couple days, but is it really worth it? If I were in your shoes (or cleats, as the case may be), I'd rent a bike when I got to Portland, and leave my bike at home. There's a nice bike rental store not more than 8 blocks from Portland Union Station:

Waterfront Bicycles

OK, I peeked. They want a fair amount of money for a nice road bike, but if you're only there for a couple days, it might be worth it just so you can ride a different bike, and avoid the box hassle.
I considered rental, but I'm cheap and it seems to cost as much or more to rent a $500 bike than a $15,000 car at most places. Usually when I travel, cheapness gets the best of me and I always end up eschewing the bike rental when I realize I can do without it and save a considerable amount of money. Having my bike there just makes it much more fun for me. I'd love to arrive at Union Station, throw my bike together, sling my bag over my shoulder, and ride around and to my hotel. You can't beat that.

No body seems to have mentioned the $15 charge for the box, assuming you don't supply your own. So the cost will be

10 - bike ticket on the Illinois Service train to CHI

5 - bike handling fee, CHI - PDX

15 - box, CHI - PDX

plus the same on the return, unless you can stash the box somewhere near the station in Portland, for a total of $60.

So your cheapest, I mean most cost effective, solution is to get a box from a bike shop, pack your bike and check it on the TE through to PDX a day early, borrow a beater for the Moonlight Ramble, and stash or find a box in Portland for the return. Note: Amtrak boxes are huge compared to boxes used to ship to bike shops. So a little more dis-assembly will be required.

Or do like I did, buy a folder and carry it on anywhere on Amtrak for free. Only 5 trips and it's paid for

Incidentally, the procedure should you decide to purchase a box and check it at CUS is to go to the baggage check area to the right of the ticket counter. They will unlock the elevator so you can go down into the bowels of the station to get the box and pack it. If I remember right, you pay down there. They also have tape machines for sealing the box. The personnel down there have always been pleasant; i.e., don't suffer from bicycle derangement syndrome.

I second Guest_guest's suggestion to leave your ride at home and rent in Portland. I did that in '07 (and '08 in San Francisco); there are plenty of nice rentals available. Your own bike won't get lost, banged up, rebuilt x2, and will look that much sweeter when you come back.

I second Guest_guest's suggestion to leave your ride at home and rent in Portland. I did that in '07 (and '08 in San Francisco); there are plenty of nice rentals available. Your own bike won't get lost, banged up, rebuilt x2, and will look that much sweeter when you come back.
It's as much a matter of principle as anything. Being charged $35/day for a bike that they probably bought for $800 and will sell for $500 a year later is ridiculous. There won't even be any significant maintenance required during that time, just lube the chain and pump the tires.

I'll be taking the train out and flying back. I may just find a solid brand used bike for $100 near my home and either donate or sell it at the end of my trip. Doing that, I either come out slightly ahead vs. bike rental, or if I can sell it without too much hassle, I come out way ahead. There are plenty of decent servicable bikes for that much, and I won't be supporting what I believe to be ridiculous pricing. Plus if it gets stolen (I plan on riding everywhere I go) it won't even be a big loss. A shiny new rental bike would attract more thieves than an old crappy bike.

If cars cost as much to rent as bikes you'd be paying $5,000 to rent a car for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back