Baggage limit.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chabre

Hi, I am going to travel by train from New York to Toronto and I want to know what is the baggage limit, I read that in that trip, the train doesnt have baggage car???

Another thing, someone has travelled from NYC to Toronto?

It is going to be my first train trip, so I dont know anything about travelling by train. If someone can tell me a HOW TO from station to station please?

Is it a direct trip or I have to change trains?

Thank You.

You are limited to 2 bags for your trip. Here are the exact guidlines.

The following guidelines apply to baggage you bring onboard with you as carry-on baggage:
Two-Piece Limit: Each passenger may bring aboard no more than two pieces of carry-on baggage. Not included in this limit are personal items such as briefcases, purses, laptops, and infant paraphernalia such as strollers, diaper bags and car seats.

50-Pound Limit: Each carry-on bag may weigh no more than 50 lbs.

Size Limit: Each carry-on bag may not exceed 28 x 22 x 14 inches in size.

Visible Tag Required: Each carry-on bag must be visibly tagged with the name and address of the passenger. Passengers may use their own personal identification tags, or may obtain Amtrak baggage identification tags at station ticket offices, or onboard trains from a member of the train crew.
You do not have to change trains and customs officials will board the train at Niagra Falls, so you don't even have to leave your seat. But make sure that you've got your passport with you!

I basically took this very trip in the summer of 2004, riding the Maple Leaf all the way from Toronto to NY. Going to Toronto, I took a train to Buffalo and spent the night there, then caught the train to Toronto the next day from Buffalo. That was done by choice, not because I had to.

Also be aware that in Toronto I believe that they have low level platforms. This means that your bags will have to go down a set of steps to detrain, and there may or may not be someone there to help you.

AlanB said:
..............But make sure that you've got your passport with you!
A Passport is recommended and the best Identification to carry but it is Not required by US and Canadian citizens to cross the border. If you don't have a Passport you must have a certified copy of your birth certificate and current, valid government-issued photo identification.

The following information is from the Amtrak Web Site:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Border Crossing Information

Crossing the Canadian/US Border on Amtrak

If your trip involves a trip across the US/Canadian border, you can help ensure a safe and speedy passage by reviewing the following requirements, guidelines and tips.

Requirements and Guidelines

When Making Reservations

When making a reservation for services crossing the US/Canadian border, you must provide various pieces of information, including your date of birth, gender, country of citizenship, and detailed information regarding the form of ID that you will carry with you on your trip. Further conditions apply.

Providing inaccurate or incomplete information will subject you to extensive inspection and questioning at the border. Please make sure that you supply us with complete and accurate information.

The information you provide when you make your reservation will be entered into your reservation record and supplied to Customs and Immigration officers to facilitate your clearance. Neither Amtrak nor VIA Rail Canada will use this information for any other purpose.

When Traveling

In General: Amtrak services that cross the US/Canada border are subject to inspection by Canadian and American law enforcement officials. If your trip involves an international border crossing, you must carry with you both:

Proof of citizenship, and

Proof of identity

The form of identification you carry with you on your trip should be the same piece of ID that you selected and provided details about when you made your reservation.

Please note you must carry the original, valid identification document. Copies, expired or otherwise invalid documents will not suffice. Each passenger must have his or her own ID.

US and Canadian Citizens: We strongly recommend that US and Canadian citizens carry a passport. Passengers without a passport, must have a certified copy of a birth certificate and current, valid government-issued photo identification.

Citizens of Other Countries: Citizens of all other countries must carry a valid passport. In addition, many passengers must obtain and carry a visa.

Passengers Under 18 (Not Traveling with Both Parents): Passengers under 18 years old (if not traveling with both parents) must carry a notarized letter from any parent or legal guardian not present which gives permission for the child to cross the border. This letter must include the address and telephone number of the parent or parents not present.

If one parent is deceased, a copy of that parent's death certificate will minimize questions and delay.

No Guaranty of Entry

Permission to enter the US or Canada is granted solely at the discretion of Customs and Immigration officers. Accordingly, possession of required documentation and providing Amtrak with required information in no way guarantees entry into the United States or Canada.

Neither Amtrak nor VIA Rail Canada nor any other carrier is in any way liable in the event that you are denied entry or delayed on your trip. Please note that trains or buses will not be delayed at the border on your behalf if you are detained.

Delays Are Possible

Please be aware that you may experience delays at border crossings. Such delays are usually due to US and/or Canadian customs and immigration procedures, and are beyond Amtrak's control.

Need More Information?

For further information, please contact the appropriate US or Canadian government offices prior to travel, as listed below:

Canadian Resources

On the Internet: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca

By Telephone: 1-800-O-CANADA (1-800-622-6232)

In Person (in the USA): Canadian Embassy (Washington, DC) or the nearest Canadian consulate (Atlanta, Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Seattle)

In Person (in Canada): The nearest Citizenship and Immigration Canada or Revenue Canada office.

United States Resources

On the Internet: http://www.travel.state.gov (select links to Citizenship and Immigration, Customs, or Passport)

By Telephone: 1-800-FED-INFO (1-800-333-4636)

In Person (in the USA): The nearest office of the US Passport Agency, the US Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration, or the US Bureau of Customs and Border Protection.

In Person (in Canada): United States Embassy (Ottawa), or the nearest United States Consulate (Calgary, Halifax, Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto, Vancouver).

thanks for your answers.

I have another question.

Is it worth to pay another $30 for the bussines class?

What is the difference from coach and bussines?

Thanks.

Only you can truly decide if it's worth it to you. However the differences are, a little more legroom than coach, electrical outlets near your seat, a free newspaper, and free soft drinks or coffee. You'll also be very close to the snack bar, since it's in the same car as your seat, so you won't have to walk very far and you can see if there's a long line before you even leave your seat.

With such a long ride, you might well appreciate the slightly better seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back