Baggage claim proceedure

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travelchick45

Train Attendant
We are first time riders. We will be taking the Southwest Chief from Fort Madison to Albuquerque in June and will have 2 roomettes. We are going to check a couple of suitcases in Fort Madison. How do we claim them in Albuquerque? Will they automatically take them off the train and put them in a bagage claim area for us or do we have to ask someone to do so?

Do make sure to have your claim tickets. Unlike most airports where you can grab your own bags, Amtrak does compare claim tickets (at least at all the locations I've used checked baggage.)

I believe there are several ways it's done, but it's individual for the station. A few stations like Los Angeles Union Station have baggage carousels. My trip on the Coast Starlight picking up luggage at Emeryville, the baggage was taken to the bus loading area. The bags destined to connect via bus trip were placed in the bus, and anyone with baggage to be picked up at EMY could claim it there. I believe anything that wasn't claimed immediately would go to the baggage room and could be claimed from a ticket agent. There was no separate baggage claim counter. NY-Penn Station has a separate baggage counter.

Don't know about ABQ. The only thruway bus service is via Greyhound (at the station) and I don't believe they do connecting baggage transfers.

I have found each station to be different.... Keep your claim check and have it ready,,, you may or may not be asked for it,,, and I don't like the new policy of keeping the tags,,, i used to keep them as mementos (especially the old handwritten ones) now they treat them like they are gold,,,, but i still find it easier to check luggage than lug it,,,,,,,just make sure the service is offered at your stations,, not all have checked baggage

Reading the previous replies in this thread reminds me of how different Amtrak is from place to place and train to train. I often ride the Empire Builder but have also risen the Capitol Limited. I've used numerous station on the Builder. The only places I've been asked to show my baggage check stubs were Chicago and Washington Union Stations. Every where else I grabbed my bags and left. That includes Saint Paul Union Station.

I have not seen people asked for them here in Montana, other than when the baggage is not immediately claimed trackside.

I've been asked to show my baggage claim check in places like PDX, WAS, NYP, BOS, LAX, SBA, SAN, GJC, DEN, PVD, ALB, BUF STL, TPA, NOL, FLL and Van Nuys. Thus, although I don't have experience at every station, I have been to numerous large, mid-sized and small stations. Thus far, I've had to show my bag check at every one.

I suspect that amtrak policy now requires that passengers give up the baggage claim checks so (a) tags can't be put on other bags to be carried on future trains, and (b) someone can't claim their bag was lost by amtrak. When in fact they had retrieved it. I don't think amtrak uses handheld scanners to keep constant track of a bag's location.

I live in Albuquerque. Upon the train's arrival, all checked baggage is put on a large cart and taken to an outdoor area just to the north side of the terminal. It's a fenced in area and there are typically two Amtrak employees there. You enter the area, grab your bag(s) and show your baggage claim to one of the employees on your way out of the fenced in area.

The few times I've done this it's not been very crowded and goes quite smoothly.

I suspect that amtrak policy now requires that passengers give up the baggage claim checks so (a) tags can't be put on other bags to be carried on future trains, and (b) someone can't claim their bag was lost by amtrak. When in fact they had retrieved it. I don't think amtrak uses handheld scanners to keep constant track of a bag's location.
The claim checks would be pretty useless for checking in again. Leaving the tags on would be pretty useless. An agent will likely remove any before allowing them to be accepted. I've found that to be the case with airlines.

The tags I've seen from Amtrak don't have any sort of code to scan. I buy that perhaps it's harder to make a false claim of lost baggage if one isn't allowed to keep the claim check.

I'm not sure how taking the claim check stops either of those.

If it's SOP to take the claim check, then having the claim check is a good means of indicating that one never received the baggage. Perhaps it wouldn't stop claims, but someone trying to fake a claim would likely end up with Amtrak having the luggage. And if the passenger gets the baggage and has to give up the claim check, there's no indication of ever having checked in the luggage. It certainly wouldn't be like airline procedures where every piece is attached to the passenger's record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back