Bag Weight Limit

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsandal

Train Attendant
I have my bag all packed for our weekend excursion to LAX via the SWC. Just weighed the bag, which is w/i the SIZE limit, but weighs 57 pounds!! We plan to carry this bag on and keep it in the "downstairs" as we have roomettes. We will then get our bag at LAX to load it on the Pacific Surfliner to Santa Barbara and keep it in the "downstairs" part as well but we have coach seats. Any advise? Thanks!

As long as you don't ask for help from an Amtrak employee and don't appear to be struggling with the bag, then you should be fine. But if you try to check it, or if you ask for help, then you could get into to trouble.

Am I right in thinking that If you have a bedroom you can have have bags up to the size (36x36x36) and weight (50lbs) and just put them in your room? You'd just carry them on yourself and that'd be ok?

This is what I saw before but things seem to be written differently in some places.

Edit:

Actually I've just found out my 'big' bag fits into the carry-on size limits anyway (it's a lot smaller than I remember it being when I bought it a few months ago!) but it's still something I'd like to know if anyone has any experience of this :) 36x36x36 is very big isn't it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I right in thinking that If you have a bedroom you can have have bags up to the size (36x36x36) and weight (50lbs) and just put them in your room? You'd just carry them on yourself and that'd be ok?
According to the Baggage Policy on Amtrak.com 36x36x36 is for checked bags. The size limit for carry on bags is 28x22x14.

As AlanB says, if you load it yourself, it's ok. We travelled with a 65-pounder last year, doing it as you plan to do - put it in the "downstrairs" yourself. (Why we were running around with a 65-pound suitcase is another story for another time; just let me say that I won't soon forget it! Oof!)

Last edited by a moderator:
As AlanB says, if you load it yourself, it's ok. We travelled with a 65-pounder last year, doing it as you plan to do - put it in the "downstrairs" yourself. (Why we were running around with a 65-pound suitcase is another story for another time; just let me say that I won't soon forget it! Oof!)
If you leave your bag downstairs in the public storage area, be sure to clearly mark your bag to differentiate it from other similar bags and do not put anything of value or importance in that bag. On my Zephyr trip two weeks ago a couple in the next sleeper lost a suitcase from the downstairs storage. The went to exit at Fraser and it was missing. The thought was the bag had been taken off by another passenger in Denver by mistake since there was a similar looking bag still there, although that was just a theory. After a ten minute or so futile search, the train left and the couple, quite upset, was short one suitcase. Problems with storing baggage in the public storage area of Superliner sleepers are rare, but they do happen. Plan accordingly.
This begs the question: why doesn't Amtrak require bags left in the downstairs storage to be tagged with name and room number? Tags could be made available by the attendant or could be stored near the area. That way it would be less likely s bag could be taken by mistake.

As AlanB says, if you load it yourself, it's ok. We traveled with a 65-pounder last year, doing it as you plan to do - put it in the "downstairs" yourself. (Why we were running around with a 65-pound suitcase is another story for another time; just let me say that I won't soon forget it! Oof!)
And, its that way on airplanes. You can't check one more than 50 lbs but can carry one on weighing more than 50 lbs. Doesn't make sense unless they just don't want employees lifting more than 50 lbs.

I thought it was the case that it was only 36x36x36max for checked but other sites I read made the line between checked and carry-on blur if you were in a roomette or bedroom.

I'm sure I checked all those things out back in October when I got my bags and just forgot!

Great theres so many nice helpful people here :)

Back