Bag lunch on Coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For our 2nd night's dinner, we arranged to go to the diner together and sit together because we each had had some tablemates that we would prefer not to risk having again.
And this, my friends, is the Sleeper class snobbery that few others above have talked about and some have dismissed it as non-existent. Isn't the whole idea of community Diner supposed to be that you meet and eat with different types of co-passengers? Why pick and choose your own tablemates beforehand? If there was something seriously wrong with the previously encountered tablemates I am sure informing the train staff would have resulted in appropriate action upto and including them being evicted from the train. If they did not do anything that serious, and yet you do not want to risk seeing them again and choose your own tablemates, sorry but I have to say that's Sleeper class snobbery.

I have not had as many Am-meals as some of you folks, but in the few that I have had, as a coach passenger and Sleeper passenger with tablemates being Coach and Sleeper passengers too, I have had a few really memorable conversations ranging from two aged women on transcontinental vacation after their husbands' deaths to a lady whose husband was a drug peddler on Texas-Mexico border areas to a Japanese man who could not speak English but loved riding Amtrak to some folks who are just very quiet and would not initiate any conversation, just eat and go. I haven't been picky about whom do I want to sit with.
We did have a very interesting conversation with a 25 year BNSF Engineer and his wife on vacation on the EB. It was his first passenger train trip ever on very same tracks he used all the time.

For our 2nd night's dinner, we arranged to go to the diner together and sit together because we each had had some tablemates that we would prefer not to risk having again.
And this, my friends, is the Sleeper class snobbery that few others above have talked about and some have dismissed it as non-existent. Isn't the whole idea of community Diner supposed to be that you meet and eat with different types of co-passengers? Why pick and choose your own tablemates beforehand? If there was something seriously wrong with the previously encountered tablemates I am sure informing the train staff would have resulted in appropriate action upto and including them being evicted from the train. If they did not do anything that serious, and yet you do not want to risk seeing them again and choose your own tablemates, sorry but I have to say that's Sleeper class snobbery.

I have not had as many Am-meals as some of you folks, but in the few that I have had, as a coach passenger and Sleeper passenger with tablemates being Coach and Sleeper passengers too, I have had a few really memorable conversations ranging from two aged women on transcontinental vacation after their husbands' deaths to a lady whose husband was a drug peddler on Texas-Mexico border areas to a Japanese man who could not speak English but loved riding Amtrak to some folks who are just very quiet and would not initiate any conversation, just eat and go. I haven't been picky about whom do I want to sit with.
Again, I think that the word arrogant and snobbery is being unfairly substituted for privacy and personal preferences.

Amtrak, as well as legacy railroads, have sat strangers together out of the necessity of utilizing a limited amount of space to maximize the turnaround, and thus revenue. This is NOT common culture in the USA and for many it is quite uncomfortable. For most, though, it's an acceptable culture shock that can be rewarding. But this isn't kindergarten, a social club, or a reality game show - it's a form of transportation. I, for one, who have travelled about 50/50 coach vs sleeper have found the coach passengers to be the ones that tend to get drunk and abnoxious and whom I'd rather not share the next meal with. They don't have to be worthy of being kicked off a train before I'm uncomfortable sitting with them at dinner. Is it really snobbery and arrogance to plan to dine with another couple with whom you've built a friendship and rapport with? You're filling the 4-Top table without the crew having to do the matchmaking. They're happy, you're happy.

Look at cruise dining. For most dinners, they sit you with the same people for each meal for the duration of the cruise. They don't mix and match you so you can "meet new people". Now, you get the "railroad" experience in the dining halls at breakfast and lunch, but that's your choice. You can also choose to eat alone if you ask (and they're not crowded).

In the end, my personal preference shouldn't matter to anyone else, and if it means I don't want to dine with someone, then they probably won't want to dine with me again by the time the meal is over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people are shy. Some of my friends have told me they thought I didn't like them when we first met because I didn't make eye contact and barely spoke. My boyfriend and I both have social anxiety. I'm better at faking my way through the panic and chatting with others until I can hide in my room again, but he barely speaks.

If someone is seated with us, I do try to make conversation, but he's usually just doing his best to eat without freaking out. If someone thinks we're snobs, oh well. We could eat in our room, but we choose to get out for awhile for a change of scenery, and dinner time is a good opportunity. Yes, we would rather sit alone in the dining car, but that isn't an option. I also don't feel right asking the SCA to bring our food to us since we aren't disabled. Basically, we put up with sitting with strangers because Amtrak mandates it. If there's a to-go box option, then I'll gladly take it.

If we decide to stay in the room that we paid for, that's our prerogative. One of the reasons we have a roomette is to get away from the number of people and noise in Coach. Not everyone is an extrovert. I'm sorry if that makes us "snobs".

That said, I do look forward to meeting people from this forum whenever I have the chance. I'm talking about true strangers, not fellow railfans I interact with on an almost-daily basis. :hi: I'll still be a bit shy around you, but again, please don't take it personally.

To me one of the enjoyable aspects of traveling Amtrak, be it Coach or even Sleeper is how often folks eagerly share and swap food and drink with fellow passengers. I have several times shared sealed candy bars or treats with nearby children after getting parent's approval, and often when I've left the Sleeper with surplus snacks, have deposited them at the coffee station if the train is continuing on.
Last I travelled, I'm pretty sure those arrogant bunch in my Sleeper would not share anything, since they barely socialize with anybody. Well, at least I was in a Sleeper so I didn't bring much food.
Arrogant to keep what belongs to themselves? In all my riding, I've never seen this sort of sharing in the US. I understand that it's common on India Rail, even taking foreigners by suprise when they share sodas. I can see this happening in the US in coach without much strangeness, but I would NEVER expect to see it in the sleepers here - not because of arrogance, but because people have paid a price for privacy and their dining plan. Arrogant? That implies they OWE you and they refuse to even offer.
Sorry if anybody took offense, but you got me wrong there. I did not mean that they were arrogant because they did not share food,d as I never asked for any. They were arrogant because they were extremly unfriendly: never socializing and always ranting to themselves. I got assigned a table with one pair and the only thing they said was a unenthusiastic greeting, they left as quickly as they came. I will always remember how the second guy pushed over the tablecloth in his hurry to leave. I didn't associate with him at all so I don't understand why he acted like such.

I believe the one couple we wanted to avoid were also sleeper passengers. I did not mind sitting with new people at each meal whether other sleeper passengers or coach passengers.. As my daughter & I were going to detrain that night we wanted to have dinner with the couple we met on the CL one more time. I don't think we were being snobbish or arrogant.

Sorry if anybody took offense, but you got me wrong there. I did not mean that they were arrogant because they did not share food,d as I never asked for any. They were arrogant because they were extremly unfriendly: never socializing and always ranting to themselves. I got assigned a table with one pair and the only thing they said was a unenthusiastic greeting, they left as quickly as they came. I will always remember how the second guy pushed over the tablecloth in his hurry to leave. I didn't associate with him at all so I don't understand why he acted like such.
No, you do understand why he acted that way. He did so because he's arrogant.

Me, I'm old enough to have learned not to be so judgmental. I like Texan Eagle's point of view: one of the most charming things about rail travel is breaking bread with absolute strangers, many of whom come from places and have life experiences I'd never encounter in my normal life, and all of whom I'll never see again. Some are silent and some won't shut up, but I generally enjoy the meals I share on the train. After all, most people are entertaining enough for an hour or so.

What I personally dislike is people who insist on discussing politics. It seems to me shockingly rude to talk politics with strangers who are sharing a meal, and might not agree with you, and even ruder not to be willing to change the subject. I've had to listen to rants about the last three presidents, and in no case has it helped my digestion.

You can carry any food and non-alcoholic drinks you like and consume them in your Coach seat (or even Sleeper). No problem.
Actually, if you're in sleeper, you can also bring any alcholic drinks you want and consumer in your room.

I am reminded of a trip from LAX on the Southwest Chief. While waiting to board the train, we met a very sweet elderly lady who explained that she always reserved a lower level roomette and had the attendant bring meals to her because it was so hard to climb the stairs. We weren't more than an hour out of Los Angeles when I ran into her on the upper level of our sleeper car. When I expressed surprise that she was on the upper level, she explained that she was "getting some ice for my vodka."

To me one of the enjoyable aspects of traveling Amtrak, be it Coach or even Sleeper is how often folks eagerly share and swap food and drink with fellow passengers. I have several times shared sealed candy bars or treats with nearby children after getting parent's approval, and often when I've left the Sleeper with surplus snacks, have deposited them at the coffee station if the train is continuing on.
Had older gentleman buy beers for me once, and saw some other guy buying wine for everyone in the diner on the Cardinal.
Yup, pretty awesome.

Me, I'm old enough to have learned not to be so judgmental. I like Texan Eagle's point of view: one of the most charming things about rail travel is breaking bread with absolute strangers, many of whom come from places and have life experiences I'd never encounter in my normal life, and all of whom I'll never see again. Some are silent and some won't shut up, but I generally enjoy the meals I share on the train. After all, most people are entertaining enough for an hour or so.

What I personally dislike is people who insist on discussing politics. It seems to me shockingly rude to talk politics with strangers who are sharing a meal, and might not agree with you, and even ruder not to be willing to change the subject. I've had to listen to rants about the last three presidents, and in no case has it helped my digestion.
I've met a few politically ranters in the dining car- but it didn't bother me much - even when the person across the table stated that any anti-Nixon person should be shot in the head.

People have opinions -- means that they have no clue - so what?

The people I've met in the diner - and in coach - have mostly been damn decent folks - even the loser Williston worker who got cut off in the lounge - he eventually helped a geezer in my coach.

I like riding with people with different opinions -- because we all realize - eventually - that we are all in the same boat.

I've met a few politically ranters in the dining car- but it didn't bother me much - even when the person across the table stated that any anti-Nixon person should be shot in the head.

People have opinions -- means that they have no clue - so what?

The people I've met in the diner - and in coach - have mostly been damn decent folks - even the loser Williston worker who got cut off in the lounge - he eventually helped a geezer in my coach.

I like riding with people with different opinions -- because we all realize - eventually - that we are all in the same boat.
Breaking bread? Yeah, I tried, but they were harder than a stone! Maybe I didn't try hard enough, but if you don't want to talk, I don't push it. They weren't political ranters, either, they were ranting about and detracting the train crew! Sure, nobody's perfect, but that crew was actually pretty good IMO and when you complain over and over again, especially when dining, it gets annoying.

Oh, I see what you're saying now. I never rant about Amtrak or anything else. I usually chat about where people are from, if they're enjoying their trip, where they're going, and so on. I feel much more comfortable being the one asking and listening than the one answering questions. :)

I'm with Sorcha on this one. I'm very introverted, almost, at times, pathologically so. I know I come off to some as arrogant, but I'm anything but that. Nonetheless, I enjoy the atmosphere in the diner. I enjoy talking to diners and finding out where they're from, where they are going, etc. On occasions I've had some table mates that didn't want to talk, and that's perfectly fine by me. On only one occasion can I recall dining with someone I really had no use for. I was traveling with my uncle on the Crescent, and we were at breakfast. The man seated with us began a long, nasty rant about how rotten Amtrak was, how horrible their service was, especially how horrible the food was. And on and on and on........ He sounded like a couple of posters on here. :ph34r: And when the breakfast came, sure enough, he practically threw the biscuit back in the server's face, and demanded another one, in a voice so loud I'm sure the engineer could hear him. :rolleyes: Fortunately we departed the Crescent soon after, and didn't have to face the possiblity of dining with this man again. I'd have gone without before sharing a table with him again. And if that makes me arrogant, so be it.

And on the subject of sharing food, one time while returning to Spokane from Glacier Park, (I was riding coach), I was munching on a bag of chips when the litte girl seated in front of me, who couldn't have been more that six or seven years old, turned around, and said in a snotty, sneering voice that only a little girl of that age can do, "My mommy told me it's rude to eat in front of someone if you don't have enough to share!!!" I wanted to ask the little darling when Mommy was going to get to the chapter in her etiquette book about treating adults (or anyone else, for that matter) with respect and about being polite, but I managed to contain the impulse. And proceeded to give her exactly what she deserved: A long, rather icy stare. :p

I'm with Sorcha on this one. I'm very introverted, almost, at times, pathologically so. I know I come off to some as arrogant, but I'm anything but that. Nonetheless, I enjoy the atmosphere in the diner. I enjoy talking to diners and finding out where they're from, where they are going, etc. On occasions I've had some table mates that didn't want to talk, and that's perfectly fine by me. On only one occasion can I recall dining with someone I really had no use for. I was traveling with my uncle on the Crescent, and we were at breakfast. The man seated with us began a long, nasty rant about how rotten Amtrak was, how horrible their service was, especially how horrible the food was. And on and on and on........ He sounded like a couple of posters on here. :ph34r: And when the breakfast came, sure enough, he practically threw the biscuit back in the server's face, and demanded another one, in a voice so loud I'm sure the engineer could hear him. :rolleyes: Fortunately we departed the Crescent soon after, and didn't have to face the possiblity of dining with this man again. I'd have gone without before sharing a table with him again. And if that makes me arrogant, so be it.

And on the subject of sharing food, one time while returning to Spokane from Glacier Park, (I was riding coach), I was munching on a bag of chips when the litte girl seated in front of me, who couldn't have been more that six or seven years old, turned around, and said in a snotty, sneering voice that only a little girl of that age can do, "My mommy told me it's rude to eat in front of someone if you don't have enough to share!!!" I wanted to ask the little darling when Mommy was going to get to the chapter in her etiquette book about treating adults (or anyone else, for that matter) with respect and about being polite, but I managed to contain the impulse. And proceeded to give her exactly what she deserved: A long, rather icy stare. :p
But you weren't eating in front of her. You were eating behind her. Wonder if she tells people in that in restaurants while she's waiting for her food. :eek:

I'm shy. I do try to converse with people but sometimes I'm just not that up to it.

I will say I've had all kinds to eat with in the dining car - the guy who would not look up from his copy of "the Da Vinci Code" to speak to anyone, a retired industrial engineer who told interesting stories about his job, a guy who ranted and raved and said horrible rude things about people of any religious persuasion other than his own (I finally worked up my courage and remarked that I was not saying anything against his religion, could he kindly not say anything against mine?), a person who was really rude to the LSA who was doing his best in a crowded diner.....

On balance, most of the people I've eaten meals with have been fairly interesting. It's just the one or two stinkers I tend to remember.

I will say I'd rather eat with an "arrogant" person who wouldn't talk to me than someone who bashes people for their beliefs.

I will say I'd rather eat with an "arrogant" person who wouldn't talk to me than someone who bashes people for their beliefs.
I'm quoting both of these. If you don't wanna talk, that's OK. If you rant and rant yet you don't want to stop OR talk about anything else, it's NOT OK.

My favorite food to take on the train is string cheese (1 oz. sealed). I have given a few to children only with the parents permission. Nearly anyone in coach can afford to buy a couple of the hot noodle packs from the cafe car. They are quite high in sodium and you will want a drink soon afterward.

Sorry but I think the Texan Eagle is way off base in criticizing passengers who meet people and want to have a second, or even a third meal with them.

On the Canadian, where you have three meals a day for three days-plus, we made friends with a couple the first night in the dome car, and proceeded to eat most of our meals together. That hardly made us arrogant. We would have been arrogant if we had been unable to eat together because of seating problems and then refused to sit with anyone else.

We have continued our friendship with this couple now for more than a year since the Via Rail trip, and they spent a week visiting with us in August on a train trip they took to California.

Please consider your choice of words more precisely when undertaking to criticize others for behavior that you somehow do not like. Thank you.

Some folks get "turned off" by the idea of community dining but when wifey and I were seated and were told that since it easn't crowded we would dine asa couple, I was a bit disappointed

We enjoyed chatting with the fellow who inspected Private VVVarnish (FRA inspection), the guy who was an electrician on the Circus train and many others. But there were also some jerks.

Sorry but I think the Texan Eagle is way off base in criticizing passengers who meet people and want to have a second, or even a third meal with them.

On the Canadian, where you have three meals a day for three days-plus, we made friends with a couple the first night in the dome car, and proceeded to eat most of our meals together. That hardly made us arrogant. We would have been arrogant if we had been unable to eat together because of seating problems and then refused to sit with anyone else.

We have continued our friendship with this couple now for more than a year since the Via Rail trip, and they spent a week visiting with us in August on a train trip they took to California.

Please consider your choice of words more precisely when undertaking to criticize others for behavior that you somehow do not like. Thank you.
I don't think you're criticizing me, but I do not believe eating with the same couple every time is being arrogant.

I don't think you're criticizing me, but I do not believe eating with the same couple every time is being arrogant.
So, if I'm traveling with 3 other family members or friends I shouldn't have all my meals with them? No, that's not different than meeting new friends & wanting to eat with them & get to know them better.

This does not mean I don't want to eat with strangers but that I did eat with strangers & found some I want to be friends with.

One bad experience and it's put you off other sleeper passengers forever? Please, please give it another try. The law of averages being what it is, you are bound to encounter mopes and dopes across the dining table now and then. I have, but for every unpleasant dining partner there are dozens of pleasant and interesting folks.

I do think it's perfectly OK to eat with the same couple every time. Just arrive in the diner as a party of four, and the staff will try to accommodate you. Who's being slighted? Nobody.

That said, there are two kinds of dining partners that make me uncomfortable. The first is the fervently political of either party who bring up the election (thank goodness that's over) and spend the entire meal telling you in violent and hateful terms why the Other Guy is stupid, incompetent and dangerous. The second is the fervently religious who spend the entire meal trying to save your soul before dessert. All one can do is smile, nod politely, and say "That so?" and "Indeed?" at appropriate times.

It has only happened a couple of times but a polite 'conversations about politics and religion are a great way to ruin a perfectly good time' type statement followed by a question pertaining to train travel has worked for me and my table mates were just fine.

If, in the future, that doesn't work, I'll ask to be moved to another table but I certainly won't be polite about nor listen to rude, vehement rants from strangers about anything.

As for treating dining staff poorly, that too has happened on occasion, but I've smacked that down by being obviously nice, polite, and complimentary to the staffer in question.

I always meet interesting and, sometimes, fun people in the diner and on the train in general.

Sometimes, I'm not in the mood for conversation and a big ol' $100 hotdog from the cafe is just fine on those occasions :p

As for the OT, I travel almost exclusively in coach - I've never brought a meal with me but I bring snacks and I always have cheese corn with me when I depart from CHI - staff doesn't care.

I've shared wrapped snacks with seatmates and they with me.

While on a 7 hr. delayed CZ this spring, I bought a cafe meal for a broke girl (overheard her convo on the phone) moving back home after a failed try at life in California.

Pack up a picnic, enjoy and have fun! :)

They weren't political ranters, either, they were ranting about and detracting the train crew! Sure, nobody's perfect, but that crew was actually pretty good IMO and when you complain over and over again, especially when dining, it gets annoying.
Wow, you must have been with a bunch of forum members.

Let me make this clear- I DID NOT say or mean that eating multiple meals with someone you met and got along well on the train is snobbish or arrogant or rude. That is perfectly normal and I would do that too if it came to that. My reply was specifically to this statement from a reply-

"For our 2nd night's dinner, we arranged to go to the diner together and sit together because we each had had some tablemates that we would prefer not to risk having again."

Now pardon me if my understanding of English is not as good, but to me this is interpreted as the passengers chose to go to dinner with a particular group (also from Sleeper) because they did not like their earlier tablemates and so now they wanted to take things in their own hands and decide whom they sit with rather than Dining Car attendant throwing up a lucky draw, something like, their intention to pick a tablemate beforehand was to avoid seeing unknown people more than the desire to bond with that particular passengers.

This is NOT the same as "we went to dinner with the same people we met earlier because we liked each other's company so much". I hope I am clear here.

So, if I'm traveling with 3 other family members or friends I shouldn't have all my meals with them? No, that's not different than meeting new friends & wanting to eat with them & get to know them better.

This does not mean I don't want to eat with strangers but that I did eat with strangers & found some I want to be friends with.
I have no idea what you are talking about. As I said, I do not believe any of what you just said to be arrogant behaviour. The arrogance is with the RANTING and the "I'm better than you because of blah-blah-blah." attitude.

One bad experience and it's put you off other sleeper passengers forever? Please, please give it another try.
Wait, me? Swadian Hardcore is Swadian Hardcore! I've taken enough trips to know that not all pax are bad. No offence, just saying that you needn't worry that I'll be an Amtrak basher just because of one trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back