Bad Image on Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haolerider

Conductor
The topic below is being discussed on another railfan website:

Date: November 9, 2008 23:03

Foamer Woes on the Starlight

Author: GenePoon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Passengers traveling today on the Coast Starlight, Train 11(8) noted two railfan-types in the Pacific Parlour Car with scanners (playing through loudspeakers...no earphones), talking loudly and generally complaining about Amtrak. One was overheard saying he was going to write a letter of complaint to Amtrak president Kummant.

They weren't THAT loud that they disturbed others seated away from them in the car...but that apparently was to change, later on.

A little past San Luis Obispo, the Conductor was summoned to the Parlour Car. A few minutes later the request was repeated...this time apparently he was urgently needed. My contact, by now elsewhere in the train in his room, turned on his own scanner and heard the Conductor requesting the engineer stop the train at Guadalupe. As the train sat, the Conductor called the engineer and requested the assistance of police.

The engineer called the UP dispatcher...and then cancelled the request for police.

Passengers reported that the two railfan types had become upset and abusive because the train was running the Coast Line instead of the San Joaquin/Tehachapi detour. Apparently they had gotten the travel date wrong (the PRIOR day's Starlight had detoured). They got nasty enough that the crew decided to have them removed from the train. Reportedly when they learned this, the two got even more agitated and angry, precipitating the stop at Guadalupe. When they heard on their scanners that the police were being called, they finally decided that discretion might be the better part of valor after all, and detrained.

Delay: approximately 5 min.

Passengers who observed the incident, once told about the rare-mileage detours that the Starlight has taken recently, were amused that such know-it-all railfans would get their travel date wrong! Many of those in the Parlour Car thanked the Conductor for handling the matter the way he did, expressing their appreciation for people who have jobs that can often involve conflict with some not-very-happy people.

And HOW LONG after Sacramento did it take before they realized that the train wasn't going where they had wrongly expected?

Note: Appartently they also refused to move from the Parlour Car to allow the wine tasting to begin and insisted that they be given free wine and cheese.

what jerks. we were on the cs in june on a run that was to take the tehachapi route and the ppc was full of railfans. one in particular was very helpful and patient with the kids and my questions. one other railfan could be heard throughout the car pontificating on railroads and any other subject that came to his mind. i thought he was pretty funny (without intending to be) but some others were disturbed in their conversations.

Seriously, I think I need to go back to collecting postage stamps... ;)

It seems that transportation in particular always has their share of "interesting people." I'm probably more of a transit geek than a train geek, and sure enough, if there's ever a function (historic bus or subway trip) the foamers come out of the woodwork.

Thankfully since I also work in the industry, I'm fully aware of the challenges that Transportation providers face in getting service out to the masses, so I'm not one of those ones would loudly bash a railroad for not using a "true railroad gothic" typeface for the numberboards or other such stuff that I hear some folks sing the tune of.

Hope they enjoyed SLO!

It seems that transportation in particular always has their share of "interesting people."
I call them wack-jobs. Just another reason to be discrete when using your scanner....

Or have fun people watching

Come up with stories as to why the conductor was called to the dining car! Make them ridculous with your sea partner and have some fun!

Hello all, I have been lurking here for years but never had reason to post, but now a reason is present. You see, I was one of those detrained by Amtrak in Guadalupe, and the other passenger was my father.

Unfortunately, GenePoon and some others have made some assumptions that I take grave offense to and I'd like to share my perception of the incident and the behavior of the Amtrak personnel involved.

We were aware at 630AM Sunday, when we arrived at the Sacramento train station, that we wouldn't be going over the loop in Tehachapi. This was not a result of a misunderstanding on our part, on Friday night the station agent in Sacramento made it clear that the train passing through Sacramento on Sunday would be detouring, and he understood clearly the only reason the tickets were being purchased were for that detour. If the station agent had read the bulletin properly, we would not have even gone down the coast route, but taking Amtrak is always an adventure and it was clear this trip would be no different. I know that we should have known better than to trust information from an Amtrak employee and that was clearly a mistake on our part. Next time we will consult our magic 8 ball.

I want to stress that we took this information in stride, and contrary to GenePoon's report, we were not at all upset that we would not be going over the loop. I ended up calling a friend that lived in Alameda and he met us at Jack London Square where we spent a precious few minutes catching up before we had to reboard the train. Every dark cloud has its silver lining.

Yes, we did have scanners. I was not aware they were forbidden items on a train and obviously the instruction manual that came with them was out of date since it didn't say we were supposed to use an earpiece and be discrete. They were not playing through loudspeakers, unless you call the 1/2 watt speaker inside the scanner a loudspeaker. We kept the volume down so that it would not disturb the other passengers, and this fact is one of the few nuggets of reliable information in GenePoon's report, as he noted himself that no other passengers complained about it and in fact a few were interested in the detector reports varying from 60 to 64 axles.

The trouble south of San Luis Obispo occurred because of Amtrak's apparent policy of kicking everyone out of the Parlour Car during the winetasting (I say "apparent" because this information is not disclosed by Amtrak anywhere prior to the winetasting, in fact we did not find out about this until the attendant told [not asked, as would be professionally appropriate] my father to leave the car when he declined to participate in the winetasting). You see, my father takes medication and cannot drink alcohol, and even before he had the prescription had not had a drink in 10 years. Additionally, our sleeper room was on the inland side of the train, so we would only have a view of the rolling hills of dry grass and would not be able to see the coast.

When the attendant again ordered my father to leave, we asked to speak to the conductor. Instead, a "customer service manager", or some similar title, named Elizabeth Peterson, walked over, and asked my father "if he intended to pay the fee for winetasting." We asked her if she was the conductor, and she said that she was in charge of the train. My father then advised her of his prescription, and then she told him he had to leave the car and return to his room since he was not participating in the winetasting.

I asked her where this was disclosed (especially considering we were just about to make it to the coast and the sun would soon be setting) and she advised me there was no such disclosure, and she conceded that Amtrak makes no effort to inform sleeper car passengers of this policy prior to the winetasting itself. She stated the reason for the policy was so as to allow for "paying" customers to be in the Parlour car during the winetasting. I then pointed out that there were at least 14 seats open in the Parlour car at the tables, and that it made no sense to enforce the policy when that many seats were open. She could only suggest that a few people may be making their way to the Parlour car from the coach cars.

We then reiterated our request to speak to the conductor, given that there were so many open seats, and she left. A moment later the assistant conductor showed up, we saw him talking to Elizabeth over at the bar before he came over to talk us, though. He walked up and immediately accused my father of being belligerent and told my father if he did not go back to his car that he'd be kicked off the train. At this point, we explained the trouble the ticketing agent in Sacramento caused, and the assistant conductor then said that my father could indeed stay in the Parlour car and would not be able to have any wine or crackers. Obviously he was not going to have wine, so this seemed to us to be a reasonable solution. However, the assistant conductor then said that "if you cause any more trouble we'll remove you from the train." At this time the head conductor finally showed up, but she did not do or say anything.

My father then asked the assistant conductor if he would continue the discussion in the sleeping car next to us, not to debate the most recent threat, but to notify him that three other people in the car sitting next to us did not pay for the winetasting, and that they got no flack from the Amtrak personnel at all. Plus, one of those three people was not even supposed to be in the sleeping car, he waited for the sleeping car attendant to walk away and boarded the train in San Luis Obispo. The assistant conductor then said there would be no more discussion on the matter.

My dad then stood up and said, "Look, this is a sensitive matter, can we just go to the next car to talk about this?" The assistant conductor then yelped "SIT DOWN IN YOUR SEAT", in a tone that I have not heard since I was in kindergarten. My father took offense to this, and insisted that the conductor treat him in a respectful manner. It is important to note that at no time did either of us raise our voices. When my father did not immediately sit down, the assistant conductor quickly stated that my father was going to be removed from the train at the next stop.

Then the assistant conductor got on his radio, and told the engineer to stop in Guadalupe. This was approximately 5 minutes North of Guadalupe. Both conductors then walked away, and stopped at the bar in the Parlour car where the dining room personnel were gathered along with Elizabeth and the car attendant. I followed them and began to speak with them regarding the incident, trying to understand their position and hopefully to try to convince them this was all a misunderstanding.

It was at this point that the assistant conductor noticed several passengers looking at us, and asked that we take the discussion into the dining car (next car down). I found this to be of particular concern, given his immediate refusal to do the same thing moments prior when speaking with my father. Elizabeth joined us, but the head conductor did not.

After a minute of discussion, it was clear that the assistant conductor would not budge from his position, and he stated we were done discussing the matter and walked away. I then went back to our sleeper car (three cars up from the Parlour car) and checked our room. All of our luggage was gone (including my laptop). I went downstairs and found my father and the conductor, along with the sleeping car attendant. At this point we were just pulling into Guadalupe. The conductor removed the luggage and my father exited the train. She then informed me that I was being removed from the train as well. I asked her why, as I paid my fee for the winetasting and only tried to mediate the situation and had kept my calm the entire time. She then said that if I didn't get off the train that she would have me arrested. Seeing as I had no choice, I got off the train.

They then closed the door and the train pulled away. I then called 911, as Guadalupe is an unfamiliar, appeared to be sparsely populated, and we had no method of transportation. 911 dispatch said they'd send a unit, and we moved our luggage to the front of the shed that passes for a station there (there are no indoor facilities). Then we realized my father was missing one of suitcases. In her haste collecting our belongings, the conductor missed one of our bags.

A couple moments later two police cars from Guadalupe PD arrived. We spoke with the officers, (for those of you that don't know, Guadalupe is an extremely small town, and the officers told us has no taxi cabs, no buses, and no rental car agencies.) One of the officers the Sergeant, seemed to be pretty sympathetic to our plight and she offered us a ride to the next town over, Santa Maria, which has an airport with an indoor terminal rental car agencies.

So we got to Santa Maria, and got a one-way rental car back to Los Angeles, and figured we'd be able to catch the train in Santa Barbara or Oxnard to retrieve the piece of missing luggage. We called the 800 number to see if the suitcase could be put in a secure location (it had some valuable electronics in it) but the nice lady we spoke with said she could only file a lost luggage claim. So she took our information as we set off down highway 101.

Based on the timetable it seemed like we would not catch the train in Santa Barbara (indeed it was sitting in the station just as we passed by it on the 101) but we knew at this point we'd catch the train in Oxnard. So off we went, and we got to Oxnard about 20 minutes before the train. We asked the station agent if he could call the conductor to hold the train, just in case it was going to be a quick stop, so that we could retrieve the suitcase right there and eliminate the possibility of anything bad happening when the train was turned in Los Angeles. He said he could not make any calls, but a few people would be getting on the train, so they would have to stop for at least a few minutes.

The train then arrived, and the conductor was the first one off the train from the crew car right behind the baggage car. She seemed very surprised to see us. My father explained the situation, and she said she'd let him get the suitcase as soon as she got the baggage car open, and we did manage to get the bag there in Oxnard. We then drove back and returned the rental car at Burbank airport and caught a ride home.

Thus ends the story of our adventure.

And yet, it doesn't. When I got home, I took my laptop out to charge it, and found that my 1TB external hard drive was missing. I am not sure whether the conductor overlooked it when she gathered our belongings, or if she stole it, but nevertheless it's gone, along with the data saved on it.

The conduct of the Amtrak personnel was unacceptable to say the least, and possibly reckless to say the worst. The temperature in Guadalupe was about 60 degrees when we were detrained, and we had no jackets, and the sun was setting. Tonight in Guadalupe it's going to get down to 40 degrees. Thank goodness the police came to help us out or else we might have had to spend the night outdoors. Considering the proximity of Santa Maria to Guadalupe, I perceive the crew's decision was spiteful, vindictive, and a classic example of poor decision-making.

And I still do not understand why I was told to leave the train.

If Amtrak has no room for being reasonable for "first class" passengers not participating in winetasting because they are on medication, I have to imagine the same would go for someone who cannot consume alcohol because of their religion, such as Jehovah's Witnesses or Latter Day Saints. And what about children? Are they removed from the car when alcohol is served?

I am honestly hopeful that someone in Customer Relations will see that the entire cause of this mess was a stupid policy, and that we'll receive a personal apology for what I feel was gross misconduct on the part of the train crew.

When seemingly mundane policies are not flexible, they tend to backfire. Here is a shining example.

In retrospect, we probably should have just paid these folks their $5 and thrown the wine out and let them carry on thinking they rule the world. Sorry for the length of the post, I have a hard time dealing with the shameful and hurtful comments that have been propagated by those who have taken GenePoon's original report as gospel.

Always good to hear the other side of the story. "Agitated", "angry", and "abusive" definitely seem to be way over exaggerated when reading your post. Best of luck to you...hopefully you get tickets for a new ride from Amtrak. Write a letter of complaint and send an email to them and see what they'll say. The crew seems in the wrong here for sure, at least in my opinion. No reason for them to act like that. That is really surprising that the car is FOR the sleeping car passengers...there's a ton of room, and yet you're FORCING sleeping passengers to leave, especially when it's not mentioned at all beforehand. Very bad performance on their part from my perspective.

And that really sucks about your HD....let them know about that as well. It's always saddening to lose a lot of data like that (I lost hundreds of GBs of data when my HD absolutely killed itself earlier this year)....

Last edited by a moderator:
We were aware at 630AM Sunday, when we arrived at the Sacramento train station, that we wouldn't be going over the loop in Tehachapi. This was not a result of a misunderstanding on our part, on Friday night the station agent in Sacramento made it clear that the train passing through Sacramento on Sunday would be detouring, and he understood clearly the only reason the tickets were being purchased were for that detour. If the station agent had read the bulletin properly, we would not have even gone down the coast route, but taking Amtrak is always an adventure and it was clear this trip would be no different. I know that we should have known better than to trust information from an Amtrak employee and that was clearly a mistake on our part. Next time we will consult our magic 8 ball.

In retrospect, we probably should have just paid these folks their $5 and thrown the wine out and let them carry on thinking they rule the world. Sorry for the length of the post, I have a hard time dealing with the shameful and hurtful comments that have been propagated by those who have taken GenePoon's original report as gospel.
Whatever happenned to people using trains for TRANSPORTATION. I wouldn't think any station agent has any obligation to help railfans do anything. I for one would not want to share the lounge car with scanners going off or loud mouth railfans anytime. Glad I wasn't on that trip. Yep you should have paid the $5 dollars and just shut up.

Wow... thanks for the writeup, FireRescue. It's always good to get both sides of the story. If I were you, I'd take this up with Amtrak Customer Relations and file a formal complaint if you feel that you need some closure to how things went. I can see the point of view from both sides, but in this case, based on what you wrote, the Asst Conductor hadn't gotten the "discretion is the better part of valor" part of Customer Service training. He should have sat down with you folks and listened before he made his judgement call.

Anyway, Customer Relations does have a mechanism to deal with these kinds of this post-mortem (I unfortunately had a very bad experience with a conductor about a year ago and was pleased with how CR resolved it) if you're so inclined.

Rafi

And yet, it doesn't. When I got home, I took my laptop out to charge it, and found that my 1TB external hard drive was missing. I am not sure whether the conductor overlooked it when she gathered our belongings, or if she stole it, but nevertheless it's gone, along with the data saved on it.
Aloha

I am no expert but in my opinion you should file a formal police report regarding the drive, since an employee of Amtrak in an official capacity, caused your loss. I feel this is appropriate even if we assume your actions were wrong, Amtrak failed to return your property in their custody.

It is a scary thought on the changes in our society over the last generation.

Yes, we did have scanners. I was not aware they were forbidden items on a train and obviously the instruction manual that came with them was out of date since it didn't say we were supposed to use an earpiece and be discrete.
I'm sympathetic to everything else you wrote except this part. Why would you need a manual to tell you not to play *any* sort of radio through speakers in a public place? This is just common courtesy. While you may think the volume may have been low enough not to notice, you're not in a position to judge that. Clearly, some other people did notice or we wouldn't have had it in the original story. I've found that in a train car, even the sound from loud headphones can travel halfway through the car.

Not to mention that, while scanners are not expressly disallowed on trains from what I know (and I have used mine), they are a privilege and not a right. Some states have outlawed them for most uses, and many people look upon them with suspicion. For you not to know this as a scanner user is not anybody's fault but your own, and it borders on irresponsible. You could be detained or in some areas even arrested for cavelier scanner use. It is in your own best interests to be discrete.

That doesn't mean hiding your scanner, which itself looks suspicious. But it does mean not giving anyone a reason to complain to the conductor about it. Then you've given them an excuse to be suspicious.

It wouldn't surprise me if your ensuing troubles were exacerbated by your inconsiderate scanner use. You may have given off an aura that you felt you "owned the car", which would just be confirmed in the minds of the crew by your refusal to pay the wine tasting fee or leave (whether this is right or wrong). Your attitude in the paragraph I've quoted above doesn't suggest otherwise. That's more likely to draw an adversarial tone than someone who's been quiet and considerate prior to that point.

This is not to excuse some of the things you mention in your post, like the missing hard drive, but I wonder if the crew's initial attitude might have been different if you'd been a little more discrete to begin with.

This is not to excuse some of the things you mention in your post, like the missing hard drive, but I wonder if the crew's initial attitude might have been different if you'd been a little more discrete to begin with.
Agreed. If you aren't in a private room/roomette, use headphones. If you can't use headphones, don't use them at all.

As for the EHD- I wouldn't suspect Amtrak. While it may be very easy to throw suspect at them or authority-- its not their MO. It sounds more like a petty crook.

Believe me, I wouldn't mind a 1TB EHD... They're not cheap.

My dad then stood up and said, "Look, this is a sensitive matter, can we just go to the next car to talk about this?" The assistant conductor then yelped "SIT DOWN IN YOUR SEAT", in a tone that I have not heard since I was in kindergarten. My father took offense to this, and insisted that the conductor treat him in a respectful manner. It is important to note that at no time did either of us raise our voices. When my father did not immediately sit down, the assistant conductor quickly stated that my father was going to be removed from the train at the next stop.
This is a big mistake. You do not STAND UP when being approached by an Authority Figure. That is an Aggressive Gesture, and is very bad form. The Conductor runs the Train, and if you don't like it you get dumped. I thought everybody knew that already. And you do not DEMAND that the Authority Figure treat you in a "respectful manner". This is another Aggressive Gesture, and they really do not like it. Then when YOU attempted to explain and clarify everything, you made yourself party to all of your Father's mistakes, and earned yourself the chance to be thrown off as well. Besides, did you REALLY want to stay on board and ABANDON the poor guy alone in Guadalupe with no jacket? (Who ever takes a Train Ride with no jacket, this is just getting stranger and stranger.)

Correct Move for future reference: When you have to leave the Parlor Car, move to the Observation Lounge. It's just past the Dining Car, and is open to ALL PASSENGERS. The viewing is Much Better. As long as you don't play your radios out loud (Use Headphones, for goodness sake!) you would have a fine trip.

Sorry you didn't get all your stuff together before leaving the Train. Every passenger is responsible for his own stuff. Never carry more than you can carry and keep track of. And (as to that item left in the Baggage Car) we see yet Another reason never to check your luggage. You never know WHEN you might have a sudden "change of plans".

Of course, riding in Coach, none of this would have happened. Just enjoy the ride, without all those pretensions about being first-class passengers who can tell the Conductor how to run his own train and everything.

By the way, finding the right dates for the Tehachapi runs was not at all difficult. Sorry you don't know how to do your homework!

Can't find the particular dialogue but there is an Amtrak blog that goes something like this, "In the interest of pax comfort we request that earphones be used when listening to audio devices." No, scanners are not forbidden but their output is.

Can't find the particular dialogue but there is an Amtrak blog that goes something like this, "In the interest of pax comfort we request that earphones be used when listening to audio devices." No, scanners are not forbidden but their output is.

And if you don't got em- go back to your room... That way you can listen to your quiet scanners and enjoy the talk together.

And I have to agree with p&sr... if an authority figure tells you to do something, you do it. Then you complain. Now of course if this person doesn't have authority or just thinks they do, then feel free to stand up for your rights. But ruddy hell- its the conductor of the train man! If that's not authority, I don't know what is?

Thank you for providing us with both sides of the story. But I have 2 things to say.

The trouble south of San Luis Obispo occurred because of Amtrak's apparent policy of kicking everyone out of the Parlour Car during the winetasting (I say "apparent" because this information is not disclosed by Amtrak anywhere prior to the winetasting, in fact we did not find out about this until the attendant told [not asked, as would be professionally appropriate] my father to leave the car when he declined to participate in the winetasting).
When I was on the CS last month from PDX-LAX, there were 2 wine tastings (on different days). The 1st day, I participated - and they did announce that the PPC was CLOSED for the time. However, the 2nd day, I did not participate, they DID NOT say that the PPC was closed, and I stayed in the PPC during that time. (BTW, there were another 5 or 6 "non-participants" also.)

Additionally, our sleeper room was on the inland side of the train, so we would only have a view of the rolling hills of dry grass and would not be able to see the coast.
Why not go to the other "regular" Sightseer Lounge? :huh: You DID have a choice to go somewhere besides your room! (True, it's not like the PPC, but you had a choice!)

On yesterday's Empire Builder, the coach car attendant had a remarkably detailed list of instructions for passengers: all devices must be in silent mode or use headphones, clean up trash around your seat before leaving the train, take loud conversations to the lounge car after 10 p.m., flush the toilets after use, don't let children run through the cars unattended, no carried-on alcohol outside of the sleeper, etc., etc., etc.

I'm sure that there were good reasons for each rule, but the extended litany was a bit depressing.

1 the conducter was in the wrong for yelling if the conducter is yelling at you for no reason hes asking to start a fight. thats harrassment and he can be sued for that.

1 the conducter was in the wrong for yelling if the conducter is yelling at you for no reason hes asking to start a fight. thats harrassment and he can be sued for that.
a: nowhere did he say the conductor "yelled", he said the conductor "yelped" which is not the same thing.

b: how is it "harassment"?

c: on what grounds would this lawsuit be filed? what monetary damages has someone suffered for being told to sit down?

If there's any lawsuit here, it would be over the lost items.

Not to mention that, while scanners are not expressly disallowed on trains from what I know (and I have used mine), they are a privilege and not a right. Some states have outlawed them for most uses, and many people look upon them with suspicion. For you not to know this as a scanner user is not anybody's fault but your own, and it borders on irresponsible. You could be detained or in some areas even arrested for cavelier scanner use. It is in your own best interests to be discrete.
I doubt this is true.

see here for laws regulating scanners. In any case it's not illegal in California.

I think the bottom line here is that the train crew is in charge of the train and their orders have to be obeyed.

There are good reasons for this. You can always complain afterward but the crew must be obeyed and not

interfered with.

A few weeks ago I was on the Coast Starlight and they bussed us around the Chatsworth wreck. There was

a rail buff or railfan on the bus. He was totally obnoxious, but when the driver told him "go sit in the back, the

front seat is reserved for handicapped", he respectfully complied. Annoying is not illegal but defiance might be.

In all cases there is no way to determine what really happened because witnesses will have different memories

of the events.

I think the bottom line here is that the train crew is in charge of the train and their orders have to be obeyed.
Amen.

The safety of all of the passengers is the responsibility of the crew, and, particularly, the conductors. They don't have time to play twenty questions.

If this kind of thing had happened on a plane, they would have diverted, and had these people arrested.

Amen.

The safety of all of the passengers is the responsibility of the crew, and, particularly, the conductors. They don't have time to play twenty questions.

If this kind of thing had happened on a plane, they would have diverted, and had these people arrested.
And TSA would have gotten rough, and they be put on a no fly list, ect. ect.

Obey first. Sue later.

So, we have the story from someone that wasn't involved and the story from the "accused" however, we don't have the train crew's story. Seems to me there is still alot of missing information.

However, based on what was said by the "accused," this could have all been dropped if they had just said "Ok, we will move to the lounge car until the wine tasting is over."

That's all. Not sure you have any grounds for a law suit, as they were acting within their power.

Just my opinion.

I doubt this is true.see here for laws regulating scanners. In any case it's not illegal in California.
It is illegal to use a scanner in furtherance of a crime in California. And that gives law enforcement, again, an excuse to be suspicious.

Also, interfering with a train crew *is* illegal in California, and in this case, the police were called. So this guy's scanner use was arguably illegal in this case, as he was potentially using it in furtherance of that crime - it would be up to the police if they wanted to try to prosecute that (provided that initial call had not been canceled). Might not be very easy to make that charge stick, as it's not really the spirit of the California scanner law, but they could try depending on whether or not they wanted to be jerks about it. I wouldn't rely on the warm-heartedness of a cop, though.

The point is not that you shouldn't use a scanner because it's illegal - that's not what I said. The point is, and this is what I said up there, that it's in your own interests to be discrete about it, and not give anyone a reason to want you to stop using your scanner.

Also, the guy was traveling, and just generally when traveling, it's also in your interests to know that scanner laws in some states can be more restrictive than others. For example, in New York it's arguably illegal to own a scanner without a permit (hasn't really been tested in court; the law itself is vague on what this applies to). It's definitely illegal to use a scanner while in a car; that's explicit. So it's best to use something of a "lowest common denominator" mentality when using a scanner while traveling, which means not drawing attention to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back