Back from TX Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda T

Lead Service Attendant
Well I feel like I've got post partum depression. My trip was so wonderful that it was difficult to stand at the Huntington station and hear the conductor call "All aboard!" and realize he didn't mean me. :unsure: Then I watched as the Cardinal pulled away heading for the New River Gorge.

Anyway, the Texas Eagle was one of the most efficient trains I've ever been on -- if anything it was early all the way to SAS, giving us over 2 hours to tour FTW, which is a beautiful city. The only complaint that I had was how cold my room was. Other pax had the same problem and so I pulled out my trusty duct tape and we took pages of the newspaper and covered the overhead vent which had been turned off, but still allowed cold air into the room. The paper and tape worked their magic and before long we were all able to return to our rooms in comfort. THANKS AU for the suggestion of carrying duct tape! Of course our SCA walked into both #9 and my room #3 and saw the papers on the ceiling. He made a brief comment to me and I told him I always carry duct tape on the train. He thanked me for also assisting the other people. I wonder what he really thought when he FIRST saw the papers on the ceiling? :help:

My entire trip was as near to perfect as a trip can be. I was amazed how little freight traffic there seemed to be, very different from my trips on the SWC and the CZ last year. The room was clean and comfortable, and since I had the exact same room, in the exact same car, with the exact same crew on the return it felt like the crew was more than just service providers. My SCA offered to keep my pack in his room in SAS so I could go out and walk about the city. I really appreciated that. Apparently it is not necessary for the cleaning crew to enter his room on the train as he locked it up with my pack inside before we detrained for the night. I did get to see the Alamo and walk along the river walk. Sadly I did get lost. I was convinced that the river walk wound it's way close to the station so I just kept walking. Finally I followed the sign for the Marriott hotel only to find out it was the wrong Marriott! But with whatever festivities were going on, it appeared as though every other person was police and they directed me back to the station. FANTASTIC! Trip! Now to wait till August to go to NYP and the next day up to BOS! I love spring as it leaves me something to look forward to.

Oh yes, Wabbit, I did wave, did you see me? :lol:

Glad you had a great trip Linda. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Nice to hear the trip went well. How did you spend your time during the overnight layover at SAS? It seems like quite a long time between when the southbound arrives and the northbound leaves. The Texas Eagle is kind of on my "to do" list at this point - might take it next time I head to San Diego (though the EB+CS combination may end up being my choice there, or even the SWC again if I'm pressed for time).

Why did you have to leave your room in SAS? When my son and I did the TE to LAX we were able to leave our things in our room. In fact we slept the night in our room.

yes i did linda i waved back who was your SCA linda i might have him monday morning on 422 to chicago
Oops, sorry, didn't see this. Jesus. No, really, you know the Mexican name. :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back