Autotrain Price Jump

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meat Puppet

Lead Service Attendant
I was checking some autotrain dates last night and the vehicle price was $179 for most every day. Now it is $270. Any idea what would cause a $91 price jump across the board for about 20 different dates?

Amtrak is expecting enough to demand for the dates to warrant a higher fare, so they adjusted the bucket allocations.

My guess is that Amtrak is hunkering down on the cash flow front. I wonder if this is showing up elsewhere in the system?

Supply and Demand! It's Fall Now and the Snowbirds are getting Restless and want to Head South for the Winter! Good for Amtrak, the People that spend the Winter in Florida can afford a Few more Dollars! (Right Penny and Dick?? :giggle: )

As to the Other Trains, the Amtrak Revenue Wizards seem to be doing a pretty good job of starting Buckets High on the LD Trains and Not Coming Down Much, If Any! :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I booked a trip on the Auto Train returning from FL in late March (already SO on many dates) and because of high demand no discounts of any kind were accepted. That's the first time I've ever seen that being done. Makes sense from a revenue standpoint but I don't like not taking my AAA discount!

Is this being done on all LD trains?

I booked a trip on the Auto Train returning from FL in late March (already SO on many dates) and because of high demand no discounts of any kind were accepted. That's the first time I've ever seen that being done. Makes sense from a revenue standpoint but I don't like not taking my AAA discount!

Is this being done on all LD trains?
Something Doesn't Jive Here! :eek: Discounts Always Come Off the Rail Fare Except on Special Discounted Fares like NEC Tickets or other One Time Promos and Specials!!! (Perhaps since the Auto-Train has it''s Own Set of Operating Rules this Isn't True on this Train Only??? :help: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak manages ticket prices for maximum profit (minimum loss) and has done so since Graham Claytor was President at least. This will only change if someone (Congress, state, etc.) starts providing large direct subsidies to Amtrak specifically for the purpose of reducing ticket prices.

I guess someone at Amtrak thinks that the Auto Train seats will keep on selling at the higher prices.

They're probably right.

Almost all the trains in the system have been getting large ticket price increases for several years.

There are relatively few routes where Amtrak seems to have perhaps hit the "price wall" where higher prices lead to lower revenue, and these routes don't include the Auto Train. On most of the routes, the seats seem to keep filling up even at higher prices, so it makes sense for Amtrak to keep raising the prices.

These were the only trains with dropping revenue from 2012 to 2013:

- Silver Star

- Silver Meteor

- Crescent

- Ethan Allen

- Niagara Falls / Maple Leaf

- Heartland Flyer

- Cascades

- Capitol Corridor

- Pere Marquette

These trains are the only trains where I would *not* expect Amtrak to be aggressively increasing prices; on these trains, dropping prices might make more money. (In some cases, this might be appropriate only temporarily; the Silver Star, Silver Meteor, and Cascades were all less attractive in 2013 due to disruptions, and as soon as the disruptions end I might expect the ticket prices to start creeping up again.)

Amtrak will increase prices until doing so stops making money.

I do not know what your dates are.

I just rechecked my dates which are Feb 20/14 from Lorton and then returning from Sanford on March 7th. The I vehicle price is 179.00. When I originally booked in July the rate was $279.00. I kept checking and saw the rate had dropped to 179.00 so I called and got a refund,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back