Auto Train Sanford Station Pictures

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Told someone I'd take some pics of progress on SFA station in another thread was shocked on train to find out it had opened a day or 2 before arrival on the 10/15

Took the Auto Train from Lor SFA on Thur 10/14, arriving 10/15... on board was advised by one of the passengers, who's wife works for the Auto train that Sanford's station had opened a couple days prior, sure enough upon arrival it was open. I did not however take pictures until we left going nortbound on the 10/21 (battery had died), these are those pic's. Still a lot of work left to be done on site but the waiting area is very nice and is done.

http://s1104.photobu...nt=26dd593f.pbw

First time trying photobucket, let me know if any issues viewing

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice work!!

Does anyone know if this new Sanford station will serve both Auto Train as well as the other (Silver Service) trains?

Very nice work!!

Does anyone know if this new Sanford station will serve both Auto Train as well as the other (Silver Service) trains?
Auto Train only.
The Auto Train station is way off the main line and not useful to passengers riding the Silver's. There are multiple tracks and a road between the main line and the AT station.

Funding would have to be found to either fix-up or tear down & replace the existing station alongside the main line tracks before the Silver's could even consider resuming service to Sanford. Based upon the passenger counts that I seem to recall having heard at the time the station was dropped, I think it unlikely that funding will be found anytime soon to restore service to that original station.

My guess is that Amtrak may well consider service to the planned station for the Sunrail commuter ops, once that station is built. It would be more downtown than where the closed station is at, probably draw more passengers than the old one did, and costs would be minimal to Amtrak.

Is it just me, but does the platform look too low for a straight, even, shot into the Superliners? I think I see a portable step on the platform in front of the Superliner doors. If so, since the station ONLY supports Superlines, one would think that Amtrak could have done a better job.

Is it just me, but does the platform look too low for a straight, even, shot into the Superliners? I think I see a portable step on the platform in front of the Superliner doors. If so, since the station ONLY supports Superlines, one would think that Amtrak could have done a better job.

Superliners are entered at ground level. You enter the hall and go up the stairs to the sleepers or coach. If I recall its only about a 6" step up and for the handicapped they can put out a small ramp for those in walkers and wheelchairs.

Thanks for posting these. I've tried to find photos of the new station before but never could.

Told someone I'd take some pics of progress on SFA station in another thread was shocked on train to find out it had opened a day or 2 before arrival on the 10/15

Took the Auto Train from Lor SFA on Thur 10/14, arriving 10/15... on board was advised by one of the passengers, who's wife works for the Auto train that Sanford's station had opened a couple days prior, sure enough upon arrival it was open. I did not however take pictures until we left going nortbound on the 10/21 (battery had died), these are those pic's. Still a lot of work left to be done on site but the waiting area is very nice and is done.

http://s1104.photobu...nt=26dd593f.pbw

First time trying photobucket, let me know if any issues viewing
Thanks for taking and sharing the pictures. We will be in SFA on Dec 14th. Did you happen to notice if wi-fi was available at the station?

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back