Auto Train Info

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acela150

Super Buff
I know I had posted a while ago about this. But now that I'm laid off and have A. Time on my hands and B. Just got a wonderful tax return I decided to take a spin on the Auto Train. Looking for some info on what to expect, hints, etc.

Looking forward to trying something new!

That's very hard to answer. There have been recent reductions in the levels of onboard management, plus the introduction of the new business class coach. Pets --- not service animals, but unregulated pets --- have been carried in sleepers recently, before the official change in Amtrak pet policy. It seems that none of these changes is official. Changes in policy and practice seem to be introduced without advance notice to onboard crews. In short, I don't know what you can expect.

It might be easier to answer your questions if you would tell us when you plan to travel, which direction you are going, and what type of accommodations you plan to use. If your vehicle is anything other than a standard sized automobile, it would be good to provide that information too.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the auto train secures motorcycles for the trip? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with someone else loading up my bike. That's a much bigger job than keeping a car upright :lol: . Though I'm sure they're pros at it.

. Pets --- not service animals, but unregulated pets --- have been carried in sleepers recently, before the official change in Amtrak pet policy. It seems that none of these changes is official. Changes in policy and practice seem to be introduced without advance notice to onboard crews. In short, I don't know what you can expect.
Wait a minute! Whaaat?

My primary recommendations are 1. Don't do coach with out earplugs, eye mask, and a great pillow and blankie. 2. If more than one person don't do roomette unless you are both very short. 3. If you are flexible on date check amsnag for off peak dates, and you can find bedrooms available for $332 depending on direction of travel.

. Pets --- not service animals, but unregulated pets --- have been carried in sleepers recently, before the official change in Amtrak pet policy. It seems that none of these changes is official. Changes in policy and practice seem to be introduced without advance notice to onboard crews. In short, I don't know what you can expect.
Wait a minute! Whaaat?

My primary recommendations are 1. Don't do coach with out earplugs, eye mask, and a great pillow and blankie. 2. If more than one person don't do roomette unless you are both very short. 3. If you are flexible on date check amsnag for off peak dates, and you can find bedrooms available for $332 depending on direction of travel.
Check for a PM.

Tom

In most cases, mororcyclists can be present to observe the motorcycle being secured on the float that goes into the auto carrier, although I won't guarantee that you'll be able to see it going into the carrier.

Tom

Just seeing that structure they are strapped to is reassuring. I never imagined they'd use something like that, but it seems like a great system!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back