Auto Train Info

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acela150

Super Buff
Looking for a ton of info about the Auto Train!

Starting to plan a honeymoon which would most likely be a trip to Disney World with my Mom and Kids.

Any and all info, tips, etc is welcomed! I browsed over the page over at OTOL. Which helped some.

If anyone has a link to a video on YouTube or anywhere else that is Similar to what Pentrex put out about the AT back in the 90's that would be great!

TIA

Steve

Steve: As you know, FormerOBS, aka Tom, now retired, worked the Auto Train for many years. I'm sure he would be glad to share lots of inside info with you, I suggest you PM him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fine by me. Your request is a bit vague so I was waiting for a bit more conversation to develop before jumping in. Try to be fairly specific about what you want to know. I can't answer questions about fares & ticketing because my experience was entirely on board the train, and I never sold a ticket in my life. Also, I retired a year ago, so some info may be slightly out of date. There have been a few changes in recent times, but I've tried to keep up to date.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Tom

Frustrating! I just spent most of an hour working on a response and it all disappeared without a trace. Guess I have to start over. I'll do it in stages. First, things to consider when making your reservations.

Auto Train carries both sleepers and coaches, so you'll have to decide which you want. Since it's an overnight train and everybody is going all the way to the opposite terminal (no "shorts"), everybody gets dinner and a light Continental breakfast at no extra charge. Alcoholic beverages and between-meal snacks can be purchased in the lounge. The sleeper, of course, gives you the comfort of a bed.

When you make your reservations, be sure to tell them how many are in your party and whether there are any special needs. Obviously, they need to know about major food allergies, medical conditions that require handicapped facilities, service animals, etc. They need to know about the vehicle you are bringing. This is pretty straightforward for most cars, but there are some that are oversized, have extremely limited ground clearance, etc., and this can be important.

Ask about the check-in times. In general, check-in starts around 11:00 or 11:30 a.m., but it would be good to make sure there haven't been any changes since I retired a year ago. For most vehicles, you can probably check in as late as 3:00 p.m. For oversized vehicles, motorcycles, etc., they probably would want you there by 2:00 p.m. Ask about the current lime limits for check-in.

When you check in at the station, you will be offered the opportunity to select your meal time. Usually there are three dinner seatings, although recently there have sometimes been four. THE EARLIER YOU ARRIVE, THE BETTER YOUR CHANCES OF EATING AT THE TIME YOU WANT. Some veteran Auto Train travelers are lined up when the Greeter's Booth opens about 11:00 or 11:30. Some folks arrive the night before and stay at the Comfort Inn in Lorton or one of the many motels near Sanford. The second dinner seating usually fills up first, and the first seating fills up shortly after that. During the summer, there are usually more vacationing families with children, and the first seating is popular with them. The later seatings fill up last. Those who arrive at the end of the boarding process usually end up eating then. So try to plan your travels so that you don't get there too late.

That ought to be enough info to get you started. Let me know what else you need to know.

Tom

Next: Packing for the trip.

Think about what you'll need while you're on the train. MEDICATION is the most important thing! DON'T LEAVE IT IN THE CAR because YOU CAN'T ACCESS YOUR CAR AND CONTENTS ENROUTE!

Next, the things that you might need that aren't part of the train's normal supplies. You'd be surprised how many people forget to pack enough diapers, for example. Include special snacks or nonalcoholic beverages that you like, but which may not be part of the train's stock.

You'll only be on the train overnight, so extra clothing probably won't be needed. You might want a sweater, just in case. You'll want your toiletries such as toothbrush, toothbrush, shaving supplies, etc.

Bring your books, games, playing cards, etc. with you if you think you'll want them while on the train. Don't forget to have your charger with you, and you may want to have some extra batteries. A flashlight can be a very good thing to have. Convenience stores sell small ones, about the size of an old-fashioned roll of Lifesavers.

If you're traveling in coach, it would be good to go to a camping supply store and get an inflatable pillow. When deflated, they take up about as much space as a deck of cards. The lounge car will have a limited supply of light travel blankets for sale. You might find it more economical to bring your own. Again, camping supply stores can provide the most compact and efficient ones.

Most of your suitcases etc. can be left in your car. You won't need them. They'll just be in the way, and there's no reason to burden yourself with a bunch of extra stuff. We could always identify the first-time riders by the amount of unnecessary stuff they dragged along.

Tom

Checking in at the station: .

When you arrive, you'll drive up a long driveway where the vehicles queue up. Stop at the Greeter's booth where the employee will attach a magnetic I.D. number to your car. Pull forward to the canopied dropoff area in front of the station. This is where you'll turn over your car to the driver who will drive it up the ramp and onto the auto carrier. Leave the key in the ignition. Leave most of your luggage in the car, and take your personal items with you, as mentioned above. In most cases, car-top carriers won't fit into the auto carriers. In virtually every case, items that you transport on top of your car will have to be put inside the vehicle while you're on the train. Trailers can occasionally be transported, but not always. If you intend to use a trailer, you should give a full explanation at the time you make your reservation, to be sure it can be done.

Keep an eye on the kids in the dropoff area, just as you would in any parking lot or other area where vehicles are moving around. Kids are short (that's not their fault). They also move around impetuously. That makes it hard for drivers to see them sometimes.

When you release your vehicle, a video will be made to record the condition of your vehicle at the time of dropoff. This is to protect both you and Amtrak. Before they began to do it, Amtrak spent a lot of money on damage claims. Once they started to do the videos, damage claims dropped precipitously, which leads me to believe most of them were probably fraudulent. Damage to vehicles is EXTREMELY rare, but the video protects you in the unlikely event it happens.

After releasing your vehicle, you need to go into the station and check in at the ticket counter. Tickets are scanned and lifted in the station --- not on the train. You will be given a boarding pass that tells the I.D. number of your car, what car you'll be riding in, and it will identify your reserved seats or sleeper accommodations. It will also say how many are in your party. If in coach, be sure there is a seat for each individual in your party --- including children. Don't lose the boarding pass. That's what you need to actually board the train.

You will also receive meal coupons that are color-coded and have numbers indicating your meal service time. Be sure you have a separate meal coupon for each member of your party --- including children. Hang onto them because they will be collected when you go to dinner.

Don't try to board until the boarding announcement is made. This is usually 2:30 p.m. Before that, the cleaning crew and the Mechanical Dept. will be working on the equipment to prepare it. The onboard service crew will also be taking on stock and preparing the equipment. Occasionally, boarding is delayed until after 2:30 if it takes longer to get everything ready. If that happens, announcements will be made. The final boarding call is usually made at 3:00. When that happens, go the the door for your assigned car and allow the attendant to take your boarding pass. If you aren't sure where to board, check the signs or ask an employee.

The Sanford and Lorton stations are fairly spacious and have restrooms and gift/snack shops. The Lorton station is a bit bigger, but both stations are adequate for their purpose. There are also small outside playgrounds for the kids.

Reconstruction work on the platform at Sanford is evidently still going on. Please walk only in designated areas for your safety.

At this point, you'll be on the train and the worst is over.

After the doors are all closed (shortly after 3:00 p.m.), the auto carriers will be attached and the entire train will be assembled. Departure is theoretically 4:00 p.m., but is often earlier. The important thing is that we know everybody is aboard right after the final boarding call is made shortly after 3:00, and auto loading ends at 3:00. As soon as the entire train is assembled, the CSX dispatcher is notified. The train gets underway as soon as permission is received from the dispatcher, even if it's before 4:00 p.m.

Tom

Ask about the check-in times. In general, check-in starts around 11:00 or 11:30 a.m., but it would be good to make sure there haven't been any changes since I retired a year ago. For most vehicles, you can probably check in as late as 3:00 p.m. For oversized vehicles, motorcycles, etc., they probably would want you there by 2:00 p.m. Ask about the current lime limits for check-in.
No one can give you better info than Tom.

Check in time has changed though, they now tell you no later than 2pm.

When leaving Sanford, if you arrive early you can drop off your car, check in and then take the free shuttle to historic downtown Sanford . Lots of shops, including my favorite used bookstore, and places to eat lunch. You can drop off your overnite bags at the welcome center. The shuttle runs every 15 mintes with last return to station at 2;30.

Also remember that you can pay $50 extra for " priority" unloading of your car, sort of like valet parking except on the rails!

I don't see the need for it myself, but lots of people are into such prestige stuff and are also in a hurry to beat the crowd! It does create revenue for Amtrak and tips for the car handlers!

Yes, the downtown shuttle in Sanford is a very nice and reliable service. The regular driver was Bob when I was using it as of a year ago, although Andrew sometimes filled in. Both really good guys. Tell them I said hello.

I usually ate at the Colonial Room in Sanford. I started going there many years ago when Bill owned it and Michelle was one of the waitresses. Michelle and her husband owned it last time I was there. Ask about the daily specials. I always loved the Trout Almondine and the lamb shanks when they were on the menu. Tell them I sent you.

Another popular place for lunch in Sanford was Hollerbach's Willow Tree Restaurant. Excellent German food. A bit more expensive than the Colonial, but very worthwhile. I rarely ate there because they serve alcohol and I didn't want our passengers to see me eating there and jumping to the incorrect conclusion that I might be drinking. Maybe I was too cautious. The Corner Café is another good place for sandwiches.

Ya gotta love Maya Books & Music!

If you're in Sanford on a Saturday, there's a little street fair in the downtown area.

There was also a similar shuttle service from the Lorton station to downtown Occoquan, VA, and I assume it is still available. I never used it because Lorton was my home base, rather than a turnaround point.

Tom

Looking for a ton of info about the Auto Train!

Starting to plan a honeymoon which would most likely be a trip to Disney World with my Mom and Kids.

Any and all info, tips, etc is welcomed! I browsed over the page over at OTOL. Which helped some.

If anyone has a link to a video on YouTube or anywhere else that is Similar to what Pentrex put out about the AT back in the 90's that would be great!

TIA

Steve
"Honeymoon" and "My Mom" in the same sentence? Dude, you might wanna re-think this.....

And if it I a honeymoon, whether mom is coming or not, (maybe she's gonna baby-sit the kids, that'd be good) get a sleeper, and NOT just a roomette, you want a BEDROOM. For you and your bride, only, Make mom occupy the roomette with your kids.

Better yet, pay mom to watch the kids at home, and make a reservation on the Canadian, and book it "Prestige Class". THAT would be a honeymoon. (Unless your bride is a real railfan, she may be in for a real let down on Amtrak.)

"Honeymoon" and "My Mom" in the same sentence? Dude, you might wanna re-think this.....
It works with most East-Asian families.... we call it "family values" :p

I'm probably thee least romantic guy who posts on these boards, but "mom on a honeymoon" just doesn't gut it for me.

But as JIS often writes, "YMMV". And as Jim Hudson often replies, "To each his own".

Have fun, but don't expect it the Auto Train to be "First Class", as Amtrak has long ago nixed that idea when it comes to sleepers..........

Also remember that you can pay $50 extra for " priority" unloading of your car, sort of like valet parking except on the rails!

I don't see the need for it myself, but lots of people are into such prestige stuff and are also in a hurry to beat the crowd! It does create revenue for Amtrak and tips for the car handlers!
I think there is a limited number of priority unloading slots. I was on the southbound Auto Train in March and we were not able to secure a priority unloading slot - they were sold out (and the train was not full).

This will be the third time I have tried to respond regarding recommended accommodations. My two previous responses both disappeared when I tried to send them. So I'm going to make this very brief so I don't waste effort again.

Two possibilities:

First, a family room on the lower level for Grandma and the kids, with a Bedroom upstairs for the bride and groom. It might be difficult to guarantee that the two rooms are in the same car.

Second, two bedrooms upstairs, located side-by-side so that they can be opened up ensuite by the SCA when needed.

Contact me in a P.M. for more detailed pros & cons of the two arrangements.

Make your reservations ASAP! Veteran Auto Train travelers make their reservations many months in advance.

Tpm

Since the food cuts last year we have stayed away from the A/T. We had some friends take the train a few months ago and they reported that the food was not good. Is nominal food service still the rule on this train?

Since the food cuts last year we have stayed away from the A/T. We had some friends take the train a few months ago and they reported that the food was not good. Is nominal food service still the rule on this train?
I rode the AT in March and found the food service perfectly fine. I did not hear any complaints from any of the passengers I encountered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back