Auto Train Derailment Cause

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capltd29

Lead Service Attendant
Does anybody know what the NTSB finally ruled the cause of the 2002 Derailment of the auto train in Crescent City, FL?

Thanks,

Jon Parker

Scratch that, I researched and found the cause

The northbound Auto Train derailed 21 of 40 cars on April 18, 2002. The train, carrying 413 passengers and 33 Amtrak employees, derailed in a left-hand curve while traveling about 56 mph. The accident resulted in 4 fatalities, 36 serious injuries, and 106 minor injuries. The equipment and track costs associated with the accident totaled about $8.3 million.

Safety Board investigators noted that the track buckle that caused the derailment probably originated during the passage of a CSXT coal train over the accident curve. Track buckles may be induced or triggered by the passing of a train when the compressive dynamic forces are added to preexisting thermal forces. Once a track begins to buckle out of alignment under a train, the buckle will become progressively more severe as each wheel impacts the rail.

Furthermore, the investigators found that the track buckled because of its instability. Contributing to its instability was the roadbed width of the track on the curve embankment, the ballast condition of the track, the rail anchoring in the area, the surfacing operations undertaken by CSXT at this location, and the temperature controls used during and after the surfacing operations. These conditions led to the derailment, the report concludes.

The Board's report stated that at the time of the accident CSXT did not provide adequate requirements for ensuring effective rail anchoring and monumenting. Monumenting consists of establishing known reference points against which any subsequent movement of the track can be measured. The report also noted that CSXT failed to ensure that its track maintenance workers routinely fulfilled the requirements of its existing track standards. Therefore, the Safety Board concluded that CSXT did not provide adequate oversight to ensure that its track maintenance activities were carried out in accordance with its own standards.

Sad but true. CSX has started to reform its practices, as has CN since it was found to be at fault for the CONO Derailment last year or the year before. It should be noted that Amtrak was not at fault in either derailment, the crews did as much as they could to prevent the situation.

And the thing that really frosts ya is that even though the freight railroads were at fault, Amtrak had to pay all the resulting damage, injury, and death lawsuit judgments, NOT the freight railroads that actually caused the derailments, injuries, and deaths.

AmtrakWPK said:
And the thing that really frosts ya is that even though the freight railroads were at fault, Amtrak had to pay all the resulting damage, injury, and death lawsuit judgments, NOT the freight railroads that actually caused the derailments, injuries, and deaths.
Well, it is expected, :D , afterall this is Amtrak, does anything go their way?

Jon

The RR probably had a hold-harmless agreement with Amtrak, which is quite common in the legal world. I'm a retired claim adjuster and saw this situation all the time.
"Stuff" floats down, not up.

MrFSS said:
The RR probably had a hold-harmless agreement with Amtrak, which is quite common in the legal world. I'm a retired claim adjuster and saw this situation all the time.
All the freight RR's got together and had Congress pass a law that indemnifies them from any responsibility for any accidents involving Amtrak, something that I disagree with.

I could see a law that prevents suing the RR's for say an Amtrak grade crossing accident where all safety devices were working properly, or where the fault belongs to more than one party.

However, when the accident is 100% the fault of the host RR, then they should not be able to weasel out of responsibility. At the very least they should be forced to pay Amtrak for the damage to its equipment, even if they are shielded from lawsuits.

You know I have to wonder where responsibility falls when trackage rights are involved for freight. Say BNSF has an Intermodal to Atlanta on NS. It's crewed by NS, but a BNSF contract. Who's paying there?

battalion51 said:
You know I have to wonder where responsibility falls when trackage rights are involved for freight. Say BNSF has an Intermodal to Atlanta on NS. It's crewed by NS, but a BNSF contract. Who's paying there?
While I couldn't say for sure, since I've never read the contracts involved (nor do I intend to), but I'm under the impression that everybody pays for their own damages.

In other words, if BNSF engines are damaged, BNSF pays to fix them. If NS crews have medical claims against the company, then NS pays. If the train hits an auto at a crossing and the family of the driver sues...good question.

rmadisonwi said:
battalion51 said:
While I couldn't say for sure, since I've never read the contracts involved (nor do I intend to), but I'm under the impression that everybody pays for their own damages.

In other words, if BNSF engines are damaged, BNSF pays to fix them. If NS crews have medical claims against the company, then NS pays. If the train hits an auto at a crossing and the family of the driver sues...good question.
I'd guess it'd be whoever's crewing the train, since it was their people that hit the car. It could be who owned the tracks though if there was a malfunction in equipment, this would be for short trackage rights, like when CP runs on CN tracks.

I would think/HOPE that a judge would laugh at a lawsuit for an accident where all railroad equipment are functioning normally, and only occured because the person drove around the gate.

Or...

In the case of the Carolinian, where the train derailed, i would like fore Amtrak to sue the company who hired the persons in the dump truck that drove around the gate.

jon

Back