Auto train crew rises above the cuts, Trip Report on 4/16/14 Sfa-Lor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I always rode the Southern

Service Attendant
Sorry for the delayed and brief report of our trip that was made right after the cuts took place.

After slogging through the parking lot from Disney to Downtown Orlando( once an Interstate Highway affectionately known as I-4 with double digit speed capability), we hit the Sanford auto train station at 11:30. Much to my surprise,as I knew this was a Sold Out train, there were only about 6 cars in line ahead of us. No wait inside and we were able to get our preferred 7pm dinner seating. There were only 3 dinner services offered; 5,7, and 9. This was the first time I have ever had an agent comment about our using an AGR award and how it was a pleasure to serve us. She was very pleasant, and apologetic about the cuts, letting us know that staff was unhappy and apprehensive about them also.

After checking in we took the shuttle to downtown Sanford to have lunch and the line of cars was now way out of the station area and down persimmon Drive. When we returned at 2:40 the line was not very long beyond the check in shack. but from there to the end of the car boarding zone it was a solid wait 5 lanes wide.
As we walked through the station the ticket lines were heavy and they were announcing only 9pm dinner reservations were left

. We were in Bedroom C 5244 and our CSA was Joe. He is young and has only worked for Amtrak for several months(unusual for a new employee to have their first assignment be the auto train? No one bidding for it any more?). He did an excellent job, as did all OBS on this trip. The diner crew were on top of their game and anticipated many of the problems that would occur because of the cuts. They made frequent announcements regarding when there were openings to go to the diner, or that overflow seating would be in the lounge car. The attitude of this entire crew was "we will do whatever we can to minimize the effects of these changes", and they did just that with patience, good humor, and a smile.

No significant change to dinner options. Still a great signature steak with wild mushroom sauce(unlike our return trip on the star when the steak sauce was quietly changed to A1).
Biggest loss we felt this time was having freedom to walk about the train, but nowhere to go. If there is no room in the lounge, you are basically confined to your seat/room.
We were grateful that we had a good trip without any significant problems thanks to the attitude and efforts of our crew, but we were prepared because we read AU. Many other passengers had no clue about the changes and were very upset.

We will be riding again next month and hopefully will have another great crew and trip.

I have been wondering how the changes will affect the crews and room attendants in particular. With reduced amenities people won't feel like they received good service and it does seem like there will be smaller tips. I'm always glad to hear a great report like yours!

Ditto! Tip o' the hat to these hard working pros that are doing their best to give good service despite the morons in 60 Mass who are busy trying to mess up a good train!

Just a point of information. Auto Train OBS crews are a separate group from the rest of the Country. They are hired specifically for AT and their OBS seniority does not transfer to any other crew base.

Back