au lapel pin

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fred

We will be leaving for ld west coast trip soon. I enjoy reading posts on this site, and think it would be fun to be able to identify other folks who also enjoy this site, while on our trip. Has anyone ever thought of selling a lapel pin with a amtrak unlimited logo which could be worn while on the train? It might even be a revenue source for a tour or meal for your annual gatherings. Any thoughts?

This idea, and a shirt idea has been talked about for years.

The biggest problem is that the name of the forum is "AMTRAK Unlimited". We are not in any way associated with Amtrak, and besides the name Amtrak is copyrighted. So we can not go around advertising ourselves as Amtrak.

That is why there is a disclaimer at the bottom of the page saying that "AU is not associated with Amtrak" in any way. However we still get posts mostly from guests who Google Amtrak, see AU and post think they're talking to Amtrak themselves!

Last edited by a moderator:
This idea, and a shirt idea has been talked about for years.

The biggest problem is that the name of the forum is "AMTRAK Unlimited". We are not in any way associated with Amtrak, and besides the name Amtrak is copyrighted. So we can not go around advertising ourselves as Amtrak.

That is why there is a disclaimer at the bottom of the page saying that "AU is not associated with Amtrak" in any way. However we still get posts mostly from guests who Google Amtrak, see AU and post think they're talking to Amtrak themselves!
How about renaming the forum? Such as: Train Talk Unlimited; the unofficial Amtrak Forum. Then the logo could be TTU? :)

Why would you have to use the name Amtrak on anything. Why could you not just use AU. Those who frequent the site and would like to talk to other members would know what that means without infringing on any copyright/trademark/naming issues.

Why would you have to use the name Amtrak on anything. Why could you not just use AU. Those who frequent the site and would like to talk to other members would know what that means without infringing on any copyright/trademark/naming issues.
Yea, kind of stealth :)

That part is true, but how about other passengers or people at the station who see AU and ask "What does AU stand for?" When you start to say the first word "Amtrak", they may stop listening, and assume we represent Amtrak!
excl.gif

How about "Foamer"? Sure, it could mean anything, but then, you are on the "A" train. :giggle:

That part is true, but how about other passengers or people at the station who see AU and ask "What does AU stand for?" When you start to say the first word "Amtrak", they may stop listening, and assume we represent Amtrak!
excl.gif

but if they are actually going to take the time to ask you about it, you can begin your side of the conversation with the disclaimer that you are not affiliated with Amtrak, but like to discuss it online with others who enjoy train travel.

Despite Dave's reaction I think it's a neat idea to have a small "AU" insignia of some sort. As I understand it there are sites that will put a logo on almost anything with no up-front cost to the creator. Might be something to look at. Could help build the site up even further.

How do i place my order for 2 pins? "AU" in Amtrak colors sounds good to me. Of course i would have to do some explaining to my Alabama friends.

Although a bit cheesy, I recommend having sheets of 1” diameter stickers made with “AU” on them. Pins, hats, and t-shirts are great, but not everybody wears those items. A sticker that you can put on your shirt, or hat, or jacket, or handbag would be fine in identifying you with other members, and the sticker only needs to last the duration of your trip. If someone asks you what it means, just say that you are a fan of passenger trains, and AU is a group of Amtrak fans.

Since “Au” is the scientific symbol for gold, perhaps gold stickers or AU in gold on a blue background would be appropriate.

If we were really going to go for some kind of pin that members were to recognize why even include the letters AU? It could be something simple like a certain locomotive or something along those lines. As long as members know what the pins look like they could identify each other while traveling around.

Maybe we could rename the forum to Foamers Unlimited!!
That sounds like we're a bunch of (hic) beer drinkers (hic) to the average person!
laugh.gif
(Hey, we are! Didn't we have our Boston dinner at "The Boston BEER Garden" and our NTD lunch at the "Capital City BREWING Company"?
huh.gif
)

laugh.gif
mosking.gif
laugh.gif

I like the idea of the gold stickers with Au on them!
cool.gif

If we were really going to go for some kind of pin that members were to recognize why even include the letters AU? It could be something simple like a certain locomotive or something along those lines. As long as members know what the pins look like they could identify each other while traveling around.
This would probably be the easiest and cheapest option and would certainly help forum members to find each other. However, it might not do much to help build the brand so to speak. It also would not be possible to use it as a logo or icon on the site because it would still not be "ours" in the legal sense.

Not a bad idea re the pins as a source of revenue for the Forum but "Au" was the Barry Goldwater symbol in the 1964 Campaign , also a sponsor of Glenn Beck! :eek: so I'd have to pass on that one as a good, old time Texas Yellow Dog Democrat!!!The Beer reference is interesting (and True! :lol: ), I think FU could also stand for "Freeloaders Unlimited", my favorite category! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why could you not just use AU. Those who frequent the site and would like to talk to other members would know what that means without infringing on any copyright/trademark/naming issues.
Or simply develop a logo that would appear on a lapel pin or in a compartment window (with possibly the by-line of "by passengers, for passengers").

Though, I would the odds of two or more of us just happening to be on same train would be pretty low.

... but Au was the Barry Goldwater symbol in the 1964 Campaign and also a sponsor of Glenn Beck! :eek: so id have to pass on that one!
For the 1960 Campaign, Nixon's button slogan was "no one can lick our Dick". :giggle: :eek:
He also used "Nixon's the One" alot! The one who did the sleaziest, crookedist Political tricks ever, hence the nickname "Tricky Dick"! (not our Dick in AU, he's a good guy! ^_^ )

...so I'd have to pass on that one as a good, old time Texas Yellow Dog Democrat!!!...., I think FU could also stand for "Freeloaders Unlimited", my favorite category! :lol: :lol: :lol:

wow, so tempting to comment on that, but I won't because I promised myself that I wouldn't debate politics on this forum.

Before I get flamed, let me just say that I don't identify myself as an "R" or a "D" because I think both parties are corrupt and no longer serve the people they are elected to represent. I also find that my opinions cross traditional party lines. Finally, and to make this train-related, I believe that one of the services government should provide is infrastructure.

But I do enjoy Jim's friendliness and enthusiasm. :rolleyes:

Talk about over-thought and over-analyzed! It's a lapel pin for gosh sakes!

Although I will be the FIRST IN LINE if we get them made up with the Foamers Unlimited abbreviation!

Lead. Follow. Or "Get Out Of The Way". If someone wants to do it, just DO IT. See if you can sell them. I'll buy whatever you come up with.

It's not like you are going to mass produce them, make millions, and have a whole bunch of attorneys jumping all over you for using the Amtrak name or log. Just do it.

...so I'd have to pass on that one as a good, old time Texas Yellow Dog Democrat!!!...., I think FU could also stand for "Freeloaders Unlimited", my favorite category! :lol: :lol: :lol:

wow, so tempting to comment on that, but I won't because I promised myself that I wouldn't debate politics on this forum.

Before I get flamed, let me just say that I don't identify myself as an "R" or a "D" because I think both parties are corrupt and no longer serve the people they are elected to represent. I also find that my opinions cross traditional party lines. Finally, and to make this train-related, I believe that one of the services government should provide is infrastructure.

But I do enjoy Jim's friendliness and enthusiasm. :rolleyes:
:hi: Yellow dog democrat is an old time Texas saying.( "I'd rather vote for a yellow dog than a Republican"). This was back in the day when there were only like 5 Republicans in the state and they were all Country Club Repoublicans, ie Rich and White! Our current Senator, Kay Bailey Hutchison,(Ive voted for her), who is a Republican BTW, helped save the Texas Eagle and Amtrak, unfortunately shes leaving office next year to return home to Texas!

One has to live here to know just how bad the current gang in Austin is decimating our education system, our social services and we lead the nation in most negative catagories! Rick Perry, the current Flavor of the Month in Kook circles, is a fraud,the New Nixon, watch him go down in flames as hes exposed!! That said, I totally support anyones right to believe whatever they want too, it's the American Way! But the birther kooks, the gay bashers, immigrant haters etc.are Un-American and dangerous! Compromise has been our system for over 200 years, our Founding Fathers would be appaled by the mess going on in this country, both political and financial!(and Both parties are too Blame, I agree!!) I proudly voted for President Obama, will do so again, but I stillLove Trains, I like all people of good will, I just dont have time for the haters making all the noise, and as for our so called Media, a pox on all of them, both Left and Right! Lets support those that support Passenger Rail ,Fairness for ALL etc. etc. As Rodney King famously said: "Can't we all just get along?" That sounds like a Good motto for America!! :help:

I really didn't mean to pick on you, Jim. I think you are one of the good guys and kind to everyone. I think most people who are a regular here do like trains and hope their existence continues, despite where they may fall on the political spectrum.

But I do have a serious question, relates to history and expressions. What is the difference between a "yellow dog" democrat and a "blue dog" democrat? As others have said, you learn something new here everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back