AU Day L.A.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
This is a big rant about the small part I had in the recent trips of AU members/friends rtabern, Ispolkom, and Mrs. Ispolkom, when they had a little time at Los Angeles between trains. (Ispolkom has a trip report in progress in this forum)

You know, Valued Reader, being an Amtrak Unlimited member out here in the Land of Eternal Tourist Season has both advantages and disadvantages, with the former far outweighing the latter. Oh sure, we get (maybe more than) our share of rubes, and folks who were apparently deposited in our midst when their turnip truck took a sharp turn or hit a speed bump ("That travel agent feller said the streets is paved with gold. When was they covered over with asphalt?" or "You mean that monorail what goes to Disneyland don't stop at Union Station?").

But then there's the fun of getting to meet and greet fellow AU members who visit southern California (and most of them do, sooner or later), as they arrive on the rails seeking sunny relief from the dismal climes (i.e. everywhere else) whence they came.

The latest opportunity for welcoming was a couple weeks ago. AU member rtabern - Rob - had PMed that he'd be arriving aboard the Southwest Chief, and wondered if I'd like to meet him and hang out for awhile before he boarded the Coast Starlight to Seattle. I'd made Rob's acquaintance at the first Amtrak Unlimited Annual Gathering (Chicago, 2007), and since then we'd made tentative meeting plans a couple times, but they hadn't worked out. He comes out from his midwestern home a couple times a year to ride the Starlight, and in fact was aboard it up north at San Luis Obispo when the deadly Metrolink/UP wreck occurred two years ago this month - his train was waylaid by the catastrophe. No plans that time, but on other occasions it was always something.

This time nothing got in the way, though, and early on 9-1-10 I boarded a fog-shrouded Metrolink train 102 at Montalvo for the Ventura County Line run to L.A. Union Station. Little scenery to be seen at that hour (5:27 a.m. departure) under the best conditions, and even less in the dense fog, so the early part of the ride was passed in perusing my Los Angeles Times. Coincidentally, a story in the business section focused on an aspect of LAUS we'd see for ourselves later in the morning.

Metrolink 102 arrived on time, and I made my way among the bustling multitudes down the ramp from the platform, through the access tunnel, and headed for the big board to see whether the Chief was due in on time. Checking online at home before calling for a cab to the Metrolink station, train 3 had looked to be 30 or so minutes down at Barstow. The schedule is massively padded between Fullerton and L.A., though, so an ontime arrival had looked likely and that was why I'd opted for the early train.

The arrival board was so packed with the frequent rush hour Metrolink trains that it was too early for the Chief to be listed, so I walked out front for a smoke while finishing up the Times. On heading back inside the Chief had made its big board daily debut, and was due in on time. So back down the tunnel, up any ramp, down to the end of the stub tracks, and over to the high-numbered tracks (9-12) usually used by Amtrak.

I plopped down on the curb opposite the platforms and began laboriously texting Rob: "Whooz at lax board sez eta on time." My anti-cell phone and anti-texting views are well known, and when he came to town earlier this year AU member ALC_Rail_Writer professed to have fainted dead away upon receiving a similar text message from me prior to his train's arrival. What can I say? Even a telecom Luddite like me finds the gizmos useful now and again.

Rob's reply text said 9 miles out, 8 a.m. ETA, and something about the Whooz dome and watching while passing the yard. The dome part was mystifying, cuz Amtrak's sole remaining dome is incompatible with Superliner equipment, barring connection with a transition dormitory sleeper - pretty unlikely. Hmmmm. The passing-the-yard part made some sense, cuz from the pedestrian area at the base of the stub tracks one can look out over the Hollywood freeway and see arriving trains pass as they approach from the south, before they reach the tight curves of the station leads.

Already in position, I watched and waited and waited and watched. Saw several Red Line subway trains coming online from the MetroRail yards, 8 a.m came and went, and I recalled getting to L.A. 30 minutes early aboard the Sunset Limited from New Orleans at the conclusion of the Team Whooz RailRiot 2009. That was L.A. 30 minutes early, not into the station 30 minutes early. The train had been held on the east side of the L.A. River - waiting for its assigned slot during the morning rush, I'd supposed - before rolling into LAUS on time. Apparently a similar deal, as the next text came that the Chief was stopped under a bridge. The text was read while the train was seen passing.

After the Chief went by - no dome seen - I turned toward the platform to walk out to greet Rob when the train came around and in, and my holding-for-the-slot theory was abruptly destroyed by the sight of the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle sitting there at the Track 11 platform. So intent was the lookout for the Chief that the SL/TE arrival - about 20 minutes early - had been missed entirely.

Sporting the fez to be more recognizable, it proved unnecessary as rtabern was quickly spotted and given the high sign. Upon meeting & greeting Rob I got an Amtrak Unlimited Meet & Greet Surprise Bonus: AU member Ispolkom, and Mrs. Ispolkom, had arrived on the train as well, and were also doing the Coast Starlight connection thing. Way cool!

Things got a little confused, I guess, as while me and Rob were taking pictures by the SL/TE power we kinda lost track of the Ispolkoms. Not to worry. Two locomotives on the nose, and Rob noted that they'd started with 3; one had been taken off at some point, but he didn't know where - maybe San Antonio.

Down the ramp, through the tunnel and main hall, we kept eyes peeled for Ispolkom and wife. Didn't see 'em, and as it turned out that neither of us had had breakfast yet we decided to head down Alameda to Philippe's for some morning French dip action. Following the short and easy stroll on the fine downtown L.A. morning - deep in conversation all the way on the pressing topics of this, that, and the crucial other thing - we entered the iconic eatery to find our AU friends already in line.

Philippe's can be crowded almost beyond belief, and the lines can seem interminable, but at the right times it's a breeze. Believe me, Valued Reader, an on-time connection from the SL/TE or Chief (or certain Pacific Surfliners) to the Starlight is the right time to walk over and grab great grub with minimal hassle. A small glitch on this occasion was that the excellent hot mustard was not yet out on the tables and had to be requested. Sandwiches for the visitors (1 lamb, 1 beef, 1 turkey), while I had one of Philippe's stellar breakfasts (served 'til 10:30 a.m.).

A fine meal and fine conversation were enjoyed by all while eating and on the walk back to LAUS. On returning we were treated to the sight of the main entrance being transformed into NY's Grand Central for movie or TV or some kinda location shooting purpose. It was this Hollywood aspect of LAUS that had been the subject of a Times story I'd read on the ride down, and what great timing for AU visitors to get to see it in action for themselves! Naturally a few photos were in order. The story:

Hollywood is all aboard Union Station

The Ispolkoms and Rob checked in at Union Station's makeshift 1st Class lounge, and I checked to be sure there'd be no problem with me riding up front with my friends as far as my home station at Oxnard - Coach ticket. Not a problem in similar situations in the past, but best to check.

Sleeper passengers weren't yet being boarded, so me and Rob headed up to the platforms for pictures while the Ispolkoms held the fort at the Traxx lounge.

It's worth noting that I have NEVER been hassled in the slightest over photography at LAUS, or heard of anybody who has. It's likely because I'm so accustomed to this freedom of movement and action (which I don't abuse) that I take such great umbrage when plagued by petty harrassments elsewhere (San Diego leaps to mind).

Anyway, we got to watch Coast Starlight train 14 backing to the platform for departure on track 10, and noted a California Car from the north (Capitol Corridor/San Joaquin) tacked to the end. Then it was back inside to meet up for boarding.

Rob had a bedroom for his run to Seattle, while Mr. & Mrs. Ispolkom were in the Family Bedroom of another sleeper for their ride to Portland. Our tickets had been lifted at the lounge in the station, so it was just a matter of stashing bags and meeting in the Pacific Parlour Car.

Departure was on time, and as we got rolling I downshifted into full Annoying Tour Guide Mode and began droning about such local points of disinterest as the Men's Central Jail (formerly Chez O.J.), Dodger stadium, the concrete canal (L.A. River), Metro Gold Line shops, Metrolink shops, and like that, as the train proceeded past them. I get a real kick outta watching people's eyes glaze over.

Turning from external to internal, a couple interesting things were going on aboard the train. There was an Amtrak supervisor aboard, and a contingent of Amtrak telephone reservation trainees was riding to Eugene, OR. Rob chatted up the supervisor, talked with the trainer of the trainees (who graciously agreed to take a group shot of us AU types), and will hopefully post to add more details than I can provide.

Further along the way I pointed out the Metrolink Death Curve as we passed over it, waxed ineloquent about Santa Susana Pass, made sure my visitors knew which side of the train to be on for the coast run north of Santa Barbara, and prattled about California's #1 industry - agriculture, not tourism or movies - as we sped past lush farmlands. Can't get enough of that glazed-eye look!

As the Starlight rounded the curve from Camarillo onto the 5th Street speedway into Oxnard it was time say goodbye and make my way through the dining car and Sightseer Lounge to detrain from a coach at OXN. On the ground there was time to run to the north end of the platform to grab a departure video.

Thanks to rtabern, Ispolkom, and Mrs. Ispolkom, for a fine - though brief - AU Day L.A., and I hope y'all had as much fun as me.

Pics:

AU Day L.A. 9-1-10

Vid:

Coast Starlight 14 Departs Oxnard, 9-1-10

Last edited by a moderator:
Superb report, simply Fez-Tastic.

Wish I could have joined you all, or hooked up when I was in La-La Land earlier this summer, but I was on tight biz schedule. Did luck out and ride the Whooz dome tho on the Surfliner. Now THAT was a nice surprise. Only caught it on one out of 7 trains thou. One is better than none.

Great write up, Whooz! It was so great meeting you! Phillipe's is an amazing place, and I'm grateful that you didn't mention our gluttony (Mrs. and I split three different French-dip sandwiches). I'm also sorry we'd didn't buy some of their great mustard.

We were amazed at your depth of knowledge about the route, and glad that you had no problems riding in the PPC. If you're ever in Minnesota...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back