Attendent Tipping Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersummer

Service Attendant
I need some help in knowing the appropriate time to provide gratuity/tip the train attendent.

In hotels, I always leave something the morning after the evening. In many hotels, you don't see the housekeeping staff in the evenings, so mornings are the appropriate time to provide the gratuity.

On the train, should I leave the tip in our room before heading off to dinner? If so, is $5/person about the appropriate amount? And, if you tip that very first evening, does it help to assure better service throughout the journey? I know that's not a guarantee, but it might help. OR, do I leave the tip in the morning?

And last, do I personally hand the tip to the attendent OR leave it in envelope? If it's in person, is it difficult to track down the attendent OR are they fairly easy to find?

Thanks so much!

To add to Wintersummer's question about tipping (my husband & I will be heading west on the LSL & the EB) what happens when a crew leaves (I assume they do on LD trains) before the end of a trip? Is it permissible to ask one's car attendant if they will be leaving before the end of a trip, in order to tip them?

Perhaps a bit of a 'duh' question :rolleyes:

Thanks, from an old time rail rider (when the New York Central ran the Northeast Corridor :) )

I need some help in knowing the appropriate time to provide gratuity/tip the train attendent.
In hotels, I always leave something the morning after the evening. In many hotels, you don't see the housekeeping staff in the evenings, so mornings are the appropriate time to provide the gratuity.

On the train, should I leave the tip in our room before heading off to dinner? If so, is $5/person about the appropriate amount? And, if you tip that very first evening, does it help to assure better service throughout the journey? I know that's not a guarantee, but it might help. OR, do I leave the tip in the morning?

And last, do I personally hand the tip to the attendent OR leave it in envelope? If it's in person, is it difficult to track down the attendent OR are they fairly easy to find?

Thanks so much!

While a nice long train trip can, in one's thinking, be sort of like a cruise ship it is not structered that way in the ways you are thinking. Keep in mind the train makes several stops and the crew will be busy at various times with all that. It is not like an entire captive audience where every passenger will be getting on and off at the same time.And each person in each room is not necessarily riding the entire distance the train wil go.

Forget about envelopes, and leaving tips in your room.

Instead in the dining car tip as you would in a restaurant, assuming the service is reasonably prompt, courteous, etc. Leave it on the table as you leave.

Your tip for your sleeping car attendant, an entirely different matter, might be about $5 per night per person, handed to him or her as you step off the train at your final destination. This service you should receive include explanations about the features of your room, wake-up calls if desired, beds tucked down and room made up, help with luggage as needed, good attitude, etc.

You had lots of questions- but I'll try to answer them the best I can. All of these answers are only from my experience, some people may do it differently.

1. We tipped the attendant a little when we first got on the train, then tipped them again when they helped us off the train. One time, an attendant saw that I hadnt eaten breakfast yet, when my husband went when I was still asleep. The attendant brought me breakfast, complete with a tablecloth, flowers, and all. I gave him a big extra tip right there. So, it all depends.

2. I personally handed the tip to the attendant. The only time I had a hard time finding my attendant was once on the Silver Meteor. I think I only saw the attendant 2xs. The attendant wasnt even at the door when I got on or off! So, no tip for them anyway! But, if you have such a hard time finding your attendant, they probably dont deserve a tip anyway. Just my 2 cents.

I always tip $5 per person per night, unless the service provided by the attendant was mediocre or worse. The car attendant should be by the door when you detrain, so you can give him/her the tip then. I don't know of any people who tip the sleeping car attendant every night, and I do know that soem attendants won't accept a tip in advance.

All Amtrak crew members ride from the origin to destination, except conductors and engineers.

To add to Wintersummer's question about tipping (my husband & I will be heading west on the LSL & the EB) what happens when a crew leaves (I assume they do on LD trains) before the end of a trip? Is it permissible to ask one's car attendant if they will be leaving before the end of a trip, in order to tip them?Perhaps a bit of a 'duh' question :rolleyes:

Thanks, from an old time rail rider (when the New York Central ran the Northeast Corridor :) )
The service staff, dining car and sleeper car, etc, stay on the train the entire trip. Only conductors and engineers change along the way.
Many people wait until the trip is over and tip the sleeper car staff as they leave the train. Trust me, they will be there as you exit, to help with luggage, etc.

It is appropriate to tip, if deserved, the dining car staff after each meal.

See this LINK for more information.

To add to Wintersummer's question about tipping (my husband & I will be heading west on the LSL & the EB) what happens when a crew leaves (I assume they do on LD trains) before the end of a trip? Is it permissible to ask one's car attendant if they will be leaving before the end of a trip, in order to tip them?Perhaps a bit of a 'duh' question :rolleyes:

People like engineers, conductors, etc will change over several times in a long trip---but you do not tip them.

The crew you do tip--dining car and sleeping cars attendants, normally ride the whole way you. They attempt to sleep and eat on the train same as you.

Should you ever go across country in Canada you will will find the dining and sleeping car crews change over at Winnepeg, but they make sure you know that so you can tip those going off duty.

No-o :p I do know not to tip a conductor :D (or an engineer for that matter), but there has been talk here about the train crew changing shift, and leaving the train (or so I thought) ...

I appreciate it. Thanks for all your help :)

No-o :p I do know not to tip a conductor :D (or an engineer for that matter), but there has been talk here about the train crew changing shift, and leaving the train (or so I thought) ...I appreciate it. Thanks for all your help :)
Well before the Sunset Limited was suspended east of NOL, the OBS crew changed in NOL, AFAIK.

Your tip for your sleeping car attendant, an entirely different matter, might be about $5 per night per person, handed to him or her as you step off the train at your final destination. This service you should receive include explanations about the features of your room, wake-up calls if desired, beds tucked down and room made up, help with luggage as needed, good attitude, etc.
I EXPECT a sleeper attendant to do all those things you list and do so WITHOUT need for a gratuity.

A gratuity I might extend is for extra service, such as: getting a special dinner reservation request fulfilled, checking by periodically, bring water or coffee by without having to be asked, being visible (not hangin' in the diner), being knowledgeable about our route, making sure ALL previous guest trash and leftovers are gone from my room before I enter, or maybe wiping off the window.

A gratuity is not mandatory, and in my opinion, will not be extended for service that defines the do-no-more-than-required attitude.

I EXPECT a sleeper attendant to do all those things you list and do so WITHOUT need for a gratuity.

A gratuity I might extend is for extra service, such as: getting a special dinner reservation request fulfilled, checking by periodically, bring water or coffee by without having to be asked, being visible (not hangin' in the diner), being knowledgeable about our route, making sure ALL previous guest trash and leftovers are gone from my room before I enter, or maybe wiping off the window.

A gratuity is not mandatory, and in my opinion, will not be extended for service that defines the do-no-more-than-required attitude.
I've purposely watched sleeper passengers de-training at the end of a long run. Being among them, I stayed back and watched how many tipped. IF the attendant was attentive and hospitable the passengers went out of their way to not only tip but comment on how good the service was. On the other side of the coin I have watched passengers walk the exact opposite way to get off the train and avoid the attendant. Kinda makes me think the attendant avoided them the whole trip as he did us. I've only not tipped once and unfortunately I felt like I would have felt worse for doing so.

I always try to tip if the service was average or better. I'm sure the sleeping car attendants probably don't earn very much for what they do, so I tip not only to reward attendants, but also to "help" them. I'm not saying I would tip if bad/rude service was provided, so don't take this the wrong way.

EDIT: Also worth noting, with today's Amtrak, you're almost lucky if your attendant does his/her assigned jobs and doesn't vanish at 9:00pm, refusing to make up any beds after that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go a little further with tipping. I bring thank you cards from home and put them in a ziplock baggie. If the sleeper attendent is excellent (ex: Reggie Howard on the CZ 7/14) I write a personal thank you and write out what we really appreciated. I also have done this with the housekeeping staff at hotels. I DO NOT do this if they don't deserve it. I had the best service on the #5 with Mr. Howard. He recieved $30.00 from me, my girlfriend and her two kids. Both kids (15 and 17 years old) also wrote out thank you's as well with their tip. If someone goes an extra mile with me, I take the time to do more than just open up my wallet and throw them a twenty. I tipped $10 when we got on in LNK and then an additional $20 at the end. Why? Because he was worth it. I'm in the service industry and go the "extra mile" alot with never getting any kudo's and thats fine, but when someone takes the time to call my boss or give me a "thank you" card with a gift card in it or money, it really makes me feel appreciated.

I appreciate your expansion to what I said. Guess I sort of meant all of that, maybe in my mind included them it in "etc"______ but you spelled it out much better..

Sadly, there are times when the bare minimum, as I originally listed, are not done. And, yes, there have been times when I have not tipped a single dime.

Other times, the attendant made the trip what it was, he or she was so good. I have had several of those, also.---both on Amtrak and on VIA Rail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rail Rookie - Your hotel tipping practice seems comparable to mine, and that's why I was asking this question re: train tipping. I don't bring notes from home for hotel tipping. However, I do always use a piece of hotel stationery and write a note. I often use the note not only to thank the room staff, but also to make special requests (for instance, in hotel rooms they always leave one pack of caffienated and one pack of decaf coffee - I like 2 full strength coffees!). I find that our room is always maintained in tip-top shape after that first mornings tip. Also, I've received back the nicest notes from hotel housekeeping staff. You can really tell that it means something to them to be acknowledged by a guest.

Although I normally work the diner, I do occasionally work the sleepers.

As far as getting dinner reservations filled, that's up to the dining car lead, not the attendant. You should request the attendant to check periodically, many people find it annoying to have someone come by their room every hour since most people ride in the sleepers for privacy. Again, you should request water or coffee, we are not psychics, we won't know when you're thirsty.

As far as wiping windows, we do not have the supplies for that. We are not allowed to use any chemicals or supplies outside of what Amtrak issues.

I am relatively new but listening to the "old timers", I often hear about the old glory days when first class passengers were "first class passengers". No one was running around without shoes or a shirt, throwing trash every where, or receiving service without tipping.

Gratuity is not mandatory, however it should be given as long as good service was provided. We shouldn't have to do cartwheels, back flips, and handstands for a $5 tip. Your attendant helps you on board, makes your dining reservations, puts down your bed, offers wake up call, helps you with your luggage, waters the car to make sure you have a working toilet/running water, is at your call for the duration of the trip, makes up your bed and clean your room when you detrain. I'm sorry daveyb99 if you feel more should be done for a small tip.

What I notice is those who ride without running you all over the train every five minutes are those who tip the most. I don't mind providing this service, it is my job, however I do mind those passengers who treat you like their personal slave. I had one lady who called me to turn off her light (and on when needed), not because she didn't know how, but because she felt that's my job. The tip left - $3. I had one man who requested all meals brought to his room and an extra sheet and blanket because he liked to sleep sitting up. That meant I didn't need to bring down and make any beds in that room. I came by his room but he requested to have some privacy and if he needed me he would call. He left no trash in the room, not a speck and when I helped him off he gave me $100.

The expected tip for expected service is $10 roomette, $15 bedroom (these are a pain to make up/clean up). Anything above and beyond is at your discretion. I love the idea of handwritten thank you notes! We work very hard to make your trip comfortable and pleasant and it feels good to know that it is appreciated. A thank you note or a complimentary letter to Amtrak is worth more than the monetary tip.

The expected tip for expected service is $10 roomette, $15 bedroom (these are a pain to make up/clean up). Anything above and beyond is at your discretion. I love the idea of handwritten thank you notes! We work very hard to make your trip comfortable and pleasant and it feels good to know that it is appreciated. A thank you note or a complimentary letter to Amtrak is worth more than the monetary tip.
Do you mean $10/$15 per person per night, or per night overall?

Overall. Of course, it is what you can afford but this is the norm.

For that matter, what's the standard tip for attendants on the Grand Luxe (AOE)?

I believe $5 per person per night is quite adequate to show appreciation for performing normal duties in a cheerful and efficent manner. Anything more should be reserved for going above and beyond the routine and expected tasks.

For that matter, what's the standard tip for attendants on the Grand Luxe (AOE)?
Tipping on the GrandeLuxe is different than Amtrak. It is not $5 here, $10 there.

When you board GrandLuxe you start a tab charged to your credit card of record. This tab covers incidentals such as snacks and drinks other items that are not included in the fare. Toward the end of the trip you add a general gratuity to that tab for all the on board service. That covers food service, lounge, baggage handling, room attendants, everything. The typical gratuity is, I believe, about 5% of the trip cost (maybe higher: it's been a while since I did that). Two people on a one night trip paying $1600 would provide about an $80 tip. The gratuities from all the passengers are pooled and shared amongst the crew.

Tipping on the GrandeLuxe is different than Amtrak. It is not $5 here, $10 there.

When you board GrandLuxe you start a tab charged to your credit card of record. This tab covers incidentals such as snacks and drinks other items that are not included in the fare. Toward the end of the trip you add a general gratuity to that tab for all the on board service. That covers food service, lounge, baggage handling, room attendants, everything. The typical gratuity is, I believe, about 5% of the trip cost (maybe higher: it's been a while since I did that). Two people on a one night trip paying $1600 would provide about an $80 tip. The gratuities from all the passengers are pooled and shared amongst the crew.
Same way as a cruise ship. My wife and I cruise quite a bit. One we will be on in Sept is $20/day for the two or $200 for the ten day cruise. It is added to the bill automatically. But, it is for a lot of different folks who take care of us during the trip. A little better service than Amtrak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back