Atlantic Coast Service discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this on Instagram. The Silver Star apparently had one of the 1991 Dash 8 “Pepsi Can” Engines pulling it. Only one locomotive to pull an 8-car consist. I didn’t know Amtrak still used these for road hauling. Most of them have been relegated to yard and switching duties. Apparently, the post also indicated that a CSX locomotive was added to the train somewhere south of Lakeland. How can that work since CSX engines cannot supply HEP? That would have been neat to see in person!
Its definitely not the first time a P32BH has been called in to pinch-hit, and they used to regularly power the Pennsylvanian, a much lighter train but ascending more hills than a Florida train would. These routes are pretty flat- a single F40PH powered the JAX-MIA and JAX-TPA sections of these trains all the time, and that was back when there were heavier Heritage cars in the consist. If one of the F40PHs on the combined train broke down though it was a bad time because the train was stuck until rescue power could be added. The only thing I am not sure of is the impact of having to generate HEP for 8 cars on the net power available from a P32BH- acceleration might be poor.

This is not a reply but a question. Today we are under an extreme heat warning. I have heard that there are concerns when rails experience very high temperatures--they may deflect or warp, etc. Are there measures that railroads take to mitigate the way rail condition may change on very hot or very cold days?

This is not a reply but a question. Today we are under an extreme heat warning. I have heard that there are concerns when rails experience very high temperatures--they may deflect or warp, etc. Are there measures that railroads take to mitigate the way rail condition may change on very hot or very cold days?
On cold days railroads will heat switches using propane and natural gas burners. In excessive heat there isn't much that can be done to prevent damage, but the tracks are regularly inspected, including using computer aided vision and drones to look for conditions that could cause a derailment.

Are there measures that railroads take to mitigate the way rail condition may change on very hot or very cold days?
Most certainly, but the best way to find out about sun kink problems. . .

SunKinka.jpg

is Google "railroad sunk kinks" or "railroad heat kinks". It's quite an involved process for CWR (continuosuly welded rail). It wan't too much of a problem for older segmented "klickety-klack" rail.

Perhaps off topic, but I’m not sure. Does anyone know if there is any long term parking (9 nights) available at the Orlando station? I’ve been allowed to do that at the Winter Haven station this year and last, but it’s just out on the street. That wasn’t a problem because I had a 17 year old car that wasn’t a very attractive target. But I have a new car now so I’m looking for a safer alternative. I drove to the Kissimmee station to ask but they only allow overnight parking for 7 nights. Before anyone suggests Uber/Lyft those services are not available where I live with any reliability. I can’t count on them. And there is zero cab service, I’ve called them all. I’m not in the boondocks, I’m about 40 miles from Orlando and a bit closer to Winter Haven. Any suggestions?

Perhaps off topic, but I’m not sure. Does anyone know if there is any long term parking (9 nights) available at the Orlando station? I’ve been allowed to do that at the Winter Haven station this year and last, but it’s just out on the street. That wasn’t a problem because I had a 17 year old car that wasn’t a very attractive target. But I have a new car now so I’m looking for a safer alternative. I drove to the Kissimmee station to ask but they only allow overnight parking for 7 nights. Before anyone suggests Uber/Lyft those services are not available where I live with any reliability. I can’t count on them. And there is zero cab service, I’ve called them all. I’m not in the boondocks, I’m about 40 miles from Orlando and a bit closer to Winter Haven. Any suggestions?
Wow, I'd never been told there was a limit at the Kissimmee Multimodal Garage. I have a trip coming up next week that's 8 nights; don't know what I'll do if they give me trouble.

Orlando has a very small parking lot. There are maybe a dozen or so spots for "overnight" parking, and I have seen them all filled up. I don't know whether they have a time limit. It's also not in a very appealing area, and I don't know whether there's any nighttime security.

A few months ago I took a train from Orlando and flew back, so I parked in the airport long-term parking, rode the shuttle to the terminal, and then a Lynx bus to a few blocks from the Amtrak station. (I checked my bag the night before to avoid dealing with it on the bus.) Not ideal, and time-consuming, but it worked. It would be very easy to get an Uber/Lyft from the airport terminal, rather than ride Lynx. You can also ride a bus from the airport to the Sand Lake SunRail station, and then ride SunRail directly to the station, but the train gets to the station about 30 minutes before the Meteor, and I didn't want to cut it that close with public transit involved.

Orlando has a very small parking lot. There are maybe a dozen or so spots for "overnight" parking, and I have seen them all filled up. I don't know whether they have a time limit. It's also not in a very appealing area, and I don't know whether there's any nighttime security.
I do not beleive Orlando station has overnight security. The nearby hospital has security however. A few years back, I was at the Orlando station early one morning and noticed about a half dozen vehicles had been vandalized. My car is fairly old and I am reluctant to leave it in the Orlando station for more than one night.

I do not beleive Orlando station has overnight security. The nearby hospital has security however. A few years back, I was at the Orlando station early one morning and noticed about a half dozen vehicles had been vandalized. My car is fairly old and I am reluctant to leave it in the Orlando station for more than one night.
I use Orlando or Kissimmee a lot, and have tried using the parking facility by the respective stations in the past, and have decided not to use them, as my car is relatively new and one of the target brands for theft of Catalytic Converters.

What I do these days is park at one of the more secure off airport parking facilities with good fencing and frequent security patrols, off Semoran Blvd, and take Uber from there to the station and back. Costs a bit but works perfectly for me. I can even have the facility wash my car and have it ready for pickup on my day of return. Even in covered parking facility, there is a sheen of oily gunk that gets deposited what with the facilities being right under the approach to MCO.

I drove to the Kissimmee station to ask but they only allow overnight parking for 7 nights.
This is what I've got, take it as you wish:

I just phoned Kissimmee station and explained the situation to the ticket agent, specifically that I would be gone for 8 nights. The agent said that 7 nights is the official agreement with the city, but people have parked there longer "without repercussions." Guess I got a friendlier agent than you did.

I'm going to risk it; others can decide for themselves. I suspect that if the cops are doing a nightly drive-thru, they're not counting nights for specific cars, but if they were to notice a car sitting there for a couple of weeks, they would be concerned.

As for safety, I'm not really concerned. Kissimmee isn't a rich community; I think it's populated mostly by lower-income service industry workers. But it looks well-kept for the most part, and the station and garage are on the edge of the nicely restored historic downtown.

Last edited:
I've been analyzing my GPS' speed data from my recent trip to Pittsburgh. I was surprised to see that the Meteor's speed approached 110 mph thru almost all of MD & DE, except for the immediate vicinity of Baltimore and other apparent speed restricted zones. I didn't know that the rolling stock on the Meteor, including VL1's and the Amfleet 1 Cafe, were qualified for 110.

I've been riding on Higher Speed Rail, and didn't even know it. :D

I've been analyzing my GPS' speed data from my recent trip to Pittsburgh. I was surprised to see that the Meteor's speed approached 110 mph thru almost all of MD & DE, except for the immediate vicinity of Baltimore and other apparent speed restricted zones. I didn't know that the rolling stock on the Meteor, including VL1's and the Amfleet 1 Cafe, were qualified for 110.

I've been riding on Higher Speed Rail, and didn't even know it. :D
All Amfleets and Horizons are good for 125mph. VL-2s are also good for 125mph. VL-1s are restricted to 110mph.

Interesting, is the difference because of their age?
The VL-1s with slight mods of the running gear can be certified for 125mph. It is something that has just not been done, since I suppose it makes little difference in day to day operation of those few trains for a small part of their run affected, and as we know Amtrak has bigger things to worry about at present.

A Silver Service LSA on Facebook said menus will be updated in October; no details available.

He also said Miami Intermodal Center is still under negotiation, but might be online around end of 4th quarter.
Encouraging news such as these things go with Amtrak.

I made a roomette reservation in April for this September 8 and selected 9110 DC to WPB as I wanted a Viewliner I. All posts here since then seem to confirm that so far 9110 is a Viewliner I. I called Guest Rewards yesterday and asked how many roomettes 9110 has total. I was then going to ask how many in 9111 but never got that far. She said there are only 8 total roomettes on 9110. I said 8 available? She said no that' s the total and most are booked but I cant tell you how many are booked so if you want one you should book now. She had my reservation on her screen and knew I had already booked room 3. This is same answer I got in April from another agent when I booked. They both said thats the total number of roomettes in car 9110. Further comments from me on number of roomettes in Viewliner I and II were not going anywhere so I wished her a nice day :)

I made a roomette reservation in April for this September 8 and selected 9110 DC to WPB as I wanted a Viewliner I. All posts here since then seem to confirm that so far 9110 is a Viewliner I. I called Guest Rewards yesterday and asked how many roomettes 9110 has total. I was then going to ask how many in 9111 but never got that far. She said there are only 8 total roomettes on 9110. I said 8 available? She said no that' s the total and most are booked but I cant tell you how many are booked so if you want one you should book now. She had my reservation on her screen and knew I had already booked room 3. This is same answer I got in April from another agent when I booked. They both said thats the total number of roomettes in car 9110. Further comments from me on number of roomettes in Viewliner I and II were not going anywhere so I wished her a nice day :)
There's no bag/dorm on 91/92 (or 97/98), so rooms are being used by OBS.
The Star and the Meteor are currently running with VLI followed by VLII

My son has an upcoming reservation from Lakeland to New York City. There is bus service from Lakeland to Orlando. Does he pick up the bus at the Amtrak station in Lakeland? I am assuming so, but just wanted to confirm.

My son has an upcoming reservation from Lakeland to New York City. There is bus service from Lakeland to Orlando. Does he pick up the bus at the Amtrak station in Lakeland? I am assuming so, but just wanted to confirm.
You are correct. I rode from Tampa to Orlando once and the bus stopped at the Amtrak station.

We are booked in a bedroom on the Silver Meteor north bound, train car 9811, room B. How can I determine if this is one of the new Viewliners? And if it is not how can I change it?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back