Are you a LD Amtrak addict?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any serious plans to restore the Lackawanna Cutoff?
Yes, not only have several millions been spent on planning and environmental studies, the States of NJ and PA have spent several million dollars buying back the right of way, with I believe some help from the Fed.

At present right now I believe that the biggest stumbling blocks holding it back are NJ & PA working out an operating agreement, finding the rest of the money, and NJ's current big project of two new tunnels under the Hudson. That has priority over the Lac Cutoff.

But even though the steel wheels aren't yet turning, the wheels of progress to reach that point are turning. They're turning a bit too slowly IMHO, but progress is being made and money is being spent on things other than just "let's study this so that we can make it look like we're doing something."

At present right now I believe that the biggest stumbling blocks holding it back are NJ & PA working out an operating agreement, finding the rest of the money, and NJ's current big project of two new tunnels under the Hudson. That has priority over the Lac Cutoff.
NJT's capital budget actually has separate money set aside for work on the cutoff. New Jersey state is supposed to come up with $40 million matching to get the right rating from FTA which is the current holdup apparently. The FEIS as a result is yet to be released, and without that Final Engineering cannot begin because the feds won't release the rest of the money needed for doing so. Meanwhile the Guvnor is trying to pull a rabbit out of his budget hat. We shall see what happens.

So what is the realistic time frame estimate? I mean, obviously we are talking a horseback guess here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back