are passengers allowed to wait inside Newark Penn Station between midn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in New Jersey and I prefer transiting in New York rather than Newark.New York Penn has a waiting area for Amtrak and NJT passengers (LIRR also on a lower level) that is patrolled.

I have arrived NYP on a late Cardinal on two occasions and have missed the my last NJT train home.

I sat/slept in the Amtrak waiting area until the first morning train. I was asked to show a ticket a couple of times

which I did not mind. I felt safe. You may want to consider spending the time at New York Penn Station instead

of Newark.
Unless you are willing to share a bench in platform level waiting room with some characters, you will not find a place to sit on main level. The main waiting room is closed from 1:30 AM to 4:30 AM.

I live in New Jersey and I prefer transiting in New York rather than Newark.New York Penn has a waiting area for Amtrak and NJT passengers (LIRR also on a lower level) that is patrolled.

I have arrived NYP on a late Cardinal on two occasions and have missed the my last NJT train home.

I sat/slept in the Amtrak waiting area until the first morning train. I was asked to show a ticket a couple of times

which I did not mind. I felt safe. You may want to consider spending the time at New York Penn Station instead

of Newark.
Unless you are willing to share a bench in platform level waiting room with some characters, you will not find a place to sit on main level. The main waiting room is closed from 1:30 AM to 4:30 AM.

when I did this, I was inside the Newark Penn station between 11:00PM to 6:00PM........ this was in February... cold as usual

there are indeed a bunch of homeless and/or drunk men. however, the cops moved people waiting for Amtrak trains into

a little waiting area where the homeless/drunks weren't allowed.... (of course, the cops did ask to see our Amtrak tickets or

reservation print-outs) sure, the seats were hard, but at least we were perfectly safe..... of course, the cops only had

pistols, so if a gang of thugs come in with Uzis, then were were toast.... :)

I found this thread from FlyerTalk.com forum...

My flight will arrive in Newark Airport just before midnight.

From EWR, I'll take the AirTrain and NJ Transit to Newark Penn.

I'm taking Amtrak's 3AM train from Newark Penn to DC.

What can I do for three hours at Newark Penn between 12AM and 3AM?

Thanks! :)

I've taken the 3 am train to DC lots of times, and I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND staying on the NJ Transit train to New York and then boarding the train there. If it arrives on time, it usually boards around 2:40-2:45, and New York Penn Station is always busy, climate-controlled, and has a private seating area... some of the shops also stay open very late (if not all night). That way, you're also sitting around for a shorter period of time.

I've been at Newark Penn Station twice late at night, and I wouldn't recommend it... mostly because most of the station (including the main waiting area) is closed, so you're confined to a very small but well-patrolled area. Even trying to get a cab at 3 am was a little harrowing (and I lived in NYC for a long time).

On the other hand, there will definitely be other people hanging out at Newark Airport late at night (Terminal B has an all-night McDonald's that was crowded the last time I was there). So I'd go with EWR or New York Penn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back