Arches National Park when traveling by Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
We're thinking about riding the CZ this summer. We would really like to see Arches Park. Can we get transportation from Green River, etc? We're not hikers (we're seniors), so we're thinking of some kind of tour. Thank you.

I’m not aware of anything but Colorado River rafting services at Green River. I would suggest instead a renral car at Grand Junction. Enterprise has an office 3 blocks from the Amtrak station AND they will pick you up at the train station. In addition to Arches National Park , a visit to Dead Horse Point State Park nearby Arches is definitely worth an addition to your visit list.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Nearby canyonlands park was a great addition when we went to arches a few years ago. Easily traveled and viewed by car. We took a picnic lunch and watched a thunderstorm across the park in all its glory. I actually liked Canyonland better than Arches.

We got off the train in Grand Junction; Enterprise’s rental is just a few blocks away and will,pick you up. The drive along the Colorado River to. Moab is beautiful.

Arches can be pretty darn hot in the summer. I have been there a few times and it was close to 100 degrees when we were there. It's just a good idea to bring water if you get out of the car to see anything up closer and aim for the shade, if there is any. In addition to Canyonlands, there's a nice spot called Colorado National Monument that is near Fruita, right next door to Grand Junction.

Dan

Arches can be pretty darn hot in the summer. I have been there a few times and it was close to 100 degrees when we were there. It's just a good idea to bring water if you get out of the car to see anything up closer and aim for the shade, if there is any. In addition to Canyonlands, there's a nice spot called Colorado National Monument that is near Fruita, right next door to Grand Junction.

Dan
It's a potentially lifesaving necessity to ALWAYS travel with at least a gallon of water in the car when traveling in the summer in the desert. Your car might break down someplace off a main road.

If your schedule alllows it, there are many interesting Native American ruins in the area, mostly south of Arches. I particularly like Hovenweep.

Back