Arcade car on the CS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

da40flyer

Train Attendant
Does anyone know if the new arcade car on the CS is available to all passengers or is this another sleeper-car only passenger perk? And where on the train is it located?

I don't know. A poster on TrainOrders has republished part of a 2007 Amtrak memo that they were considering using the arcade car instead of the kiddie car.

AU has discussed the arcade car before.

Considering that the kiddie car was a converted coach-baggage car (based on a number of sources), I would guess it would be a similar set up for the arcade car (that arcade room is pretty unadorned).

If it's below coach, it would assume that it's accessible to all.

RailForum also has a discussion on the arcade car including a review from a passenger.

Given that you apparently have to spend cash to buy tokens to use the video game machines, I can't see any reason they'd want to restrict them to sleeping car passengers.

I'm under the impression that the arcade is on the lower level of the PPC - is that not correct?

If it is on the PPC, I can't see how they could keep the car open to coach passengers. I know that they've allowed coach passengers in groups for the wine tasting, but that's just one event per day. If they opened the arcade to everyone, the upstairs would basically be open to coach passengers all day, effectively making it open to all passengers. I just can't see them doing that.

I'm under the impression that the arcade is on the lower level of the PPC - is that not correct?
If it is on the PPC, I can't see how they could keep the car open to coach passengers. I know that they've allowed coach passengers in groups for the wine tasting, but that's just one event per day. If they opened the arcade to everyone, the upstairs would basically be open to coach passengers all day, effectively making it open to all passengers. I just can't see them doing that.
I would hope if having the arcade car is a way to generate additional revenue, they wouldn't limit it to the part of the train that has the fewest passengers. And quite honestly, if it is a sleeper-car only thing, my kids are going to revolt against me since we are in coach and they know all about the arcade car. :)

No, the movie theatre is on the lower level of the PPC. The arcade car is a seperate car and esentially replaces the Kiddie car.
Ah, so essentially Amtrak is essentially reintroducing two new cars on the CS? I hadn't realized that.

If I read correctly, the Kiddie Car was on the lower level of one of the coach cars, right? That would make more sense.

Ah, so essentially Amtrak is essentially reintroducing two new cars on the CS? I hadn't realized that.
If I read correctly, the Kiddie Car was on the lower level of one of the coach cars, right? That would make more sense.
Correct on both accounts. :)

Interestingly, though, it seems that the new revenue-generating PPC is at least sometimes open to coach passengers now, too--there were a number of coach passengers at my second wine tasting (in the loungestituted Parlour Car). Not sure if this is going to be a regular thing or what the plan is...

Interestingly, though, it seems that the new revenue-generating PPC is at least sometimes open to coach passengers now, too--there were a number of coach passengers at my second wine tasting (in the loungestituted Parlour Car). Not sure if this is going to be a regular thing or what the plan is...
What I think and hope is that they're inviting them in during the 'soft launch' period (May 19-June 9) to entice them into sleeper accomodations on future trips. A loungestitution is not the best way to distinguish sleeper service, though.

What I think and hope is that they're inviting them in during the 'soft launch' period (May 19-June 9) to entice them into sleeper accomodations on future trips. A loungestitution is not the best way to distinguish sleeper service, though.
The loungestitution might not be the best way to distinguish things, but it's a darn sight better than what they used to do and in fact happened to me two years ago. Our PPC was cut and we got nothing. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back