Anywhere to eat in WAS on a Saturday?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be meeting a friend on a Saturday soon in Washington, DC, and we will be taking the Capitol Limited to Chicago. We are going to have about 4 hours at WAS.

Are there any sit-down restaurants in the station that are open on Saturday for a nice light lunch? (There is an Asian one that looked good, but it’s now only open during the week.)

Also, anything nice casual (like a Panera) open in case our sleeper is removed and we need to pick up food to take in coach? (if we don’t decide to cancel if they put us in coach—depends on how good my shin splint leg is feeling by then as to whether I can even sit in coach overnight without damaging my leg).

I haven’t been to WAS since before the pandemic, and I’m not sure if the station website is completely updated, so thought I would ask for the latest information here.

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

You can definitely sit down and eat at Uno Pizzeria at the Mezzanine Level as long as it is between 11am and 7pm. I have been there relatively recently during the COVID period, earlier this year.

You can do takeout too.

For takeout sandwich there is a Jersey Mike downstairs now IIRC.

I don’t know if it is still there, but a couple years ago (when many, if not most restaurants were shut down because of the pandemic), Johnny Rockets on the lower level was open and had dine in seating. Just burgers and fries, nothing special, but it might be a place open for lunch

Thank you all for the suggestions—I’m glad to see so many places are back.

I ran these by my friend, and Uno Pizzeria is the winner.

But I’ll keep the others in mind for another time.

The Dubliner is across from WAS - same menu lunch/diner. Good pub food. I was there in mid pandemic. Good beef on Weck.
Actually, it's a block away, and it's a moderate climb back to the station.

There's a Corner Bakery in the same area, which is similar to Panera but a bit downscale (plastic plates and cutlery).

We went to the Dubliner for our Washington Gathering meal a few years ago, and I really liked it.

I do remember the climb back to the station, so I think I will keep this in mind for when I’ve ditched the cane and am having a nice relaxing visit to the Washington area, maybe in the fall sometime.

Back