Anything within walking distance to do at Penn Station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingee

OBS Chief
We have made reservations for coming back home from NYC on a Sunday (Memorial Weekend). The train does not leave until 3:45. Our thought is to bring our suitcases and check them in. We will be coming off a cruise so we will be there fairly early in the morning. Now the big question. Is there anything with walking distance to do around Penn Station? We don't want to count on taxis or the subway (have taken the wrong one and went the wrong direction last time). Any ideas?

We have made reservations for coming back home from NYC on a Sunday (Memorial Weekend). The train does not leave until 3:45. Our thought is to bring our suitcases and check them in. We will be coming off a cruise so we will be there fairly early in the morning. Now the big question. Is there anything with walking distance to do around Penn Station? We don't want to count on taxis or the subway (have taken the wrong one and went the wrong direction last time). Any ideas?
Go to Macys at Herald Square.

The Empire State Building is but a two block walk from Penn. Times Square is 8 blocks away. Macy's flagship store is one block away. I'm sure that there are other things, and still more that would require a considerable walk or a ride on a bus/subway/cab.

Times Square is an easy 15 minute walk. Plenty of things to do to kill time there.

I think the more appropriate question is "What ISN'T there to do within walking distance of Penn Station." You name it, it's there, especially if you include a quick subway ride in your definition of walking distance. If it's not already there, please tell me what it is, and I'll start a business to BRING it there and make a killing at it.

I suppose you couldn't get on a rocket ship and head to the moon from within walking distance of Penn Station, but then again, you can't do that anywhere... so that doesn't really count.

Last edited by a moderator:
We will be coming off a cruise so we will be there fairly early in the morning.
What cruise line? I know that the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is just one pier to the south of Carnival Cruise.

You mentioned not wanting to deal with a taxi or subway, but how are you getting from your cruise ship to Penn station?

Personally I always go and find the nearest street corner hot dog vendor and get my usual (two hot dogs, a preztel and a soda for $6!). However, I realize this isn't for everyone. There's also a borders on 33rd and 8th (I think) if you need some reading material.

Macys! If you go to the Customer Service desk, you can get a special 1 day vistor's discount coupon, and they usually have some sort of sale going on. But watch your time if you have a schedule, the place is huge and it is really easy to get disoriented. :blink:

There is also a lot of other good stores on 34th St near NYP, lots of standard mall stores like H&M and Footlocker along with smaller local ones.

The Empire State Building is also good, but has long lines. We also enjoy visiting Grand Central Terminal on 42th St- now that's a train station! :D

Taxis are all right to take to the train station but I didn't want to rely on getting one to get back to the train station on time from shopping or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back