Anything good about lower-level Superliner roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachSlumber

Lead Service Attendant
Hi. I just booked a roomette on the Eagle, and one of the ways my roomette is on the lower level. I've always thought upper level was better (for the view), and it's been years since I rode the lower. I'm going to call and try to change it--but wanted to see if anyone prefers the lower level for any reason?

Also, is it cheaper? I was unaware, but I noticed when booking, there were two fares for a roomette. I chose the lower fare. Is that why I am on the ground floor?

There's a lot to be said for both lower and upper roomettes. As you said, the view is great on the upper level, but the lower level is more convenient for the shower being close and being able to easily hop off and on at station stops.

You're close to the bathrooms and shower, and you can get off quickly at the "fresh air" stops.

I love everything about the lower level. It's closer to rails so it feels like you're going faster. It's close to the luggage racks. It's close to the bathrooms and shower. It's easy to step off at the smoking stops. There's also much less foot traffic down there passing between. Pretty much I have nothing negative to say about the lower level sleepers.

I've also heard that you feel less "rocking", but I've never slept down there, so I can't say for sure.

As long as there is not a family in the family bedroom with screaming little kids or ones that misbehave, it should be o.k. My experiences favor the upper rooms. Just switched from #13 to upstairs for same price.

I have rode the lower level a few times. While I perfer the upper level , it is nice to closer to your bags to get clothes in the way to the shower.

When it comes to sleepers on a Superliner, we'll take the lower level over the upper every single time. You do indeed have a dramatically reduced amount of car sway, which makes for a much sounder nights sleep. If your car is a Superliner I, the upper bunk space is larger on the lower level (the ceiling is not curved for the shape of the car but is instead square.) And as others have noted, you are pretty much first-up for showers as a simple glance down the hallway will confirm if it is occupied or not, as well as the toilets. Foot traffic is 90% reduced from upstairs. Have had kids both young and old in the Family Bedroom with us, and it really was not any worse than what can be had upstairs (in fact, by far the nosiest neighbors we've ever had was while traveling in Bedroom C aboard #11!)

As long as there is not a family in the family bedroom with screaming little kids or ones that misbehave, it should be o.k. My experiences favor the upper rooms. Just switched from #13 to upstairs for same price.
A noisy family is what I encountered in a lower level roomette on the SWC a while back. KIds in-and-out the door most of the night. As far as view goes, I don't think 12 feet (or whatever) is that big of a difference...I don't mind being at ground level!

The best night sleep I've ever had on an Amtrak train was on a California Zephyr trip four or five years ago when I was on the lower level. As others have said, it's a smoother ride with less car sway and there is not as much foot traffic outside your door. I'd be inclined to keep your downstairs room just for comparison sake since you do have the upper level in the other direction.

Would I want downstairs all the time - no. For a change of pace sometimes - yes.

If you are a photographer bothered by spotted, dirty windows, the advantage of the lower level is that you can clean your own windows at the smoking stops.

Yes, there is less traffic, you are close to the shower and your baggage, you are just a few steps from the door so you can get off at the stops and when the attendant is away you can open the dutch door and take a pic or two. I actually prefer the lower ones.

The likely reason why you saw two fares for roomettes on the Texas Eagle is that one was for the sleeper that runs between Chicago and San Antonio and the other is for the sleeper that runs 3 days per week continuing west of San Antonio on the Sunset Limited to Los Angeles. If the fares were different, it probably means that one car was more booked as of your inquiry date than the other, so they were in different fare buckets on that date.

The lower fare is not related to upper versus lower, but rather to how many of the rooms are already booked.

One of the negatives to a lower level room is that all access to other cars (including the Dining Car and Lounge Car) is via the upper level only. So to got to another car on the train, you must use the stairs twice.

and when the attendant is away you can open the dutch door and take a pic or two.
Just remember that is forbidden - and also dangerous! There have been incidents, including a conductor doing that and losing his head - literally! :eek: (He opened the Dutch door, looked out, and the train crossed a bridge - and he got off the train with some help from the bridge girders!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back