Anyone Recently Back from a trip on the Empire Builder?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Everydaymatters

Engineer
Every year around this time I hear comments from people about the rude, surly crews encountered on different trains. The last time I was on the Empire Builder was 2 years ago and the crew was excellent. Couldn't have asked for better.

Is anyone recently back from a trip on the Empire Builder? Do they still have a crew which is highly customer service oriented?

Every year around this time I hear comments from people about the rude, surly crews encountered on different trains. The last time I was on the Empire Builder was 2 years ago and the crew was excellent. Couldn't have asked for better.
Is anyone recently back from a trip on the Empire Builder? Do they still have a crew which is highly customer service oriented?
I too have heard negative comments, but I pose this question... Do people for the most part get rude service because they brought it upon themselves? Over the years I have taken approximately 14 trains and cannot say that I've received any rude or surly behavior and even if I had but don't remember, it would be worth even mentioning. So I do feel that our behavior spurns the behavior of those that serve us.
I retired about 6 years ago from a supervisory position in public service. I worked directly with customers and the only ones that got rude treatment from me were those that went out of their way to earn it. The overwhelming majority of people were good and a pleasure to serve, but there are always a few that left their brains and personalities home when the left the house! On my last day of work I had to remind my supervisor that he had to give me an evaluation before I left. Later in the day when he called me in to get it, I read it over and the only negative comment on it was that during the EV period I had given a couple of customers a hard time. Through my career there, I rarely gave anyone a hard time, but my response to that comment on the EV was... "YES IT DID... AND I'M PROUD OF IT!" I'm sure if my co-workers were with me at that moment that they would have applauded me!

Disclaimer: I have never worked for Amtrak! :rolleyes:

We returned from Seattle to Chicago in early June 08 on EB and had a great time. Dining and Sleeper Crews were great, efficient, friendly and knowlegable. We have traveled on it twice in last year and both times were very favorable. :)

In the last 10 years, I have travelled over 90,000 miles on Amtrak, mostly on the Starlight, but also on the Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Lake Shore Limited, Capital Limited, Cardinal, Crescent, and Surfliner.

In that time, there are three room attendants who stand out as being in the wrong profession. One was very friendly, but totally incompetent. Another, I had no problems with, but from conversations I overheard between her and other passengers, I would classify her as "surly" (although I think those passengers may have helped to bring out her surliness). The third, on the Empire Builder this last May, was very good at her job as she defined it. Unfortunately, she seemed to think of her job definition as "getting her car ready for turnaround in Chicago in spite of interference by those pesky passengers". She was by far the worst room attendant we have had in our travels.

The rest have ranged from friendly enough and competent enough to spectacular. Since the OP was specifically asking about recent trips on the Empire Builder, I have to mention that on our return trip on the EB this May we had two attendants (Patrick and his trainee, who was named Jennifer, I think) who both fell into the spectacular category. My wife and I had both picked up bad colds on our trip, and never left our room. During the whole trip, we never even had to ring the bell. One or the other of them came by to check on us regularly and they always showed up at mealtime to take our order and bring our food to the room.

We love traveling by train so much, and have enough experience that we don't make many demands on our attendants (except for when we were sick). I think if you intend to have a good time, a bad attendant can't spoil your trip and a great one can make it even better.

Rick

but I pose this question... Do people for the most part get rude service because they brought it upon themselves?
An excellent question. Give a hard time, GET a hard time. There are those who say that crew should be unfailingly professional, but that viewpoint ignores human nature.

I went on a Spokane-Seattle EB trip in June, with a jaunt down to Eugene, and back to Spokane on the EB by way of Portland this time. And the crew was excellent both times. The fact the diner was out of most things at breakfast was by no means the dining car staff's fault, and they made the best of the situation. And on the way back, the car attendant (wish I'd gotten his name) was on his first-ever day on the job, and he was excellent. Very attentive, and a wonderful sense of humor.

Last fall, I went from Spokane-Seattle, then from Seattle-Chicago. On the way over, all I heard from those around me was complaints about the car attendant. I wasn't on the EB long enough to see firsthand what all the complaining was about, but from what I saw, I wasn't impressed. When I went to board the train, I was made to stand shivering in the cold while the kid looked over a list of seats in order to assign me a seat. Spokane at 2AM in the middle of October gets chilly! And other passengers were trying to tell him that the restrooms in the coach car weren't working. His attitude was "Tough

crap! :p ) And he had all the personality of a cigar store Indian. I don't know what went on before I boarded, but everyone around me seemed in a vile mood, due to this guy. Among other things, I heard he absolutely refused to allow people to move around once seated, even though the coach was half-full and even though one woman was sitting in a broken seat. I moved anyway. And he went through, waking everyone up at Spokane whether they were getting off or not. I heard from the conductor, who was going through trying to smooth things over, that his actions were such that a couple of lawyers on board were thinking about a possible lawsuit. I can't imagine what this kid did to warrant that! :eek: I personally had no problems with him, but then I just shut up and avoided him. But on the trip from Seattle to Chicago, it was great. The service, the attendants, everything. Well, almost. The sleeping car attendant, a very nice man, by the way, wasn't too helpful when asked for assistance. He spent almost all his time in his room. But he was such a nice person that I didn't hold that against him.

I think Amtrak is all about expectations... I have worked with Disney World employees and whenever I go to Disney World I expect the best and will not cut them any slack because what they sell for the most part is happiness. Amtrak, like Greyhound and the Airlines is not selling that.. they are providing a service. They are also all Government employees (think police officers here... do you expect them to smile when they hand you a ticket?). Now I have had many great Amtrak employees that would fit right in at Disney World.. or anywhere else where great service is expected but when an Conductor or LSA is a bit short with me I just kinda laugh about it and move on. In all my travels I have never had a sleeper attendant who did not do an acceptable job (I've had many that were better than others of course.)

I do think that Amtrak is walking a thin line on trains like the EB and CS where they are advertising the service aspect... then they are no longer selling transportation.. but an experience with higher expectations.

Since 2002, I've ridden The Builder once, or twice, a year, and agree with Railroad Bill. I've always had a Sleeper, and the crews always have been polite, helpful, and courteous. Operating crews, dining car staff, lounge, and sleeper attendants, included. I've ridden east from Seattle and Portland, and west from Chicago.

Thumbs up for The Builder pros. And I even won a bottle of wine for a correct answer during the wine-and-cheese-tasting contest quiz! It was a quaint red Washington State vintage.

I took a Roomette on the July 15 EB from Seattle to Chicago. ALL train staff were great. I was in the trans/dorm, and my SCA, Jeff, was also responsible for a full sleeper behind my car. Although he was always busy, he was fantastic. When he heard I was on my first overnight train trip in 41 years, he offered me a split of champagne which I enjoyed (plastic cup and all) on the way out of Seattle. (Maybe the champagne is standard operating procedure, but the way he did it made me feel kinda special.) I was on the inboard side of the car and he suggested I could scoot over into the vacant roomette opposite to enjoy the views of Puget Sound. On day 2, when he saw I was reading James Lee Burke, we had a great discussion about several of our favorite authors.

Paul was the dining car steward for the entire trip, and he was nothing but Class - from going through taking reservations, to remembering my name when I entered the dining car, to introducing me to the folks already seated at the tables where he placed me. I sought him out as we were entering Chicago and told him how much I appreciated the service, and slipped him a tip.

By the way, besides looking after one-and-a-half sleeping cars, Jeff did waiter duty in the diner as well. AND he had to deliver meals to an occupant of the H room.

So, for me, the Empire Builder has first-class service all the way.

I've seen attendants give bad service. But usually the person receiving it deserved it.

For example, one time we had this shrew. She was screaming for the attendant at 2 o'clock in the morning to come and adjust something because she didn't feel like standing up (btw: she was in no way handicapped). She went on screaming for quite some time. Finally, GML says: "Shut up, lady, I'm trying to sleep." So she stares at me malevolently, then keeps up with her screaming.

So I leaned in and told her about various implements I'd be shoving in various places if she didn't shut her god damned mouth. Her husband was looking the other way and trying not to laugh. (BTW: call bells were working.) Finally, the attendant comes over and she screams at him about the nasty man across the hall threatening to shove implements into her. He said that he wanted to wish me luck, but instead if she did not pipe down, she'd be thrown off the train.

Was it nasty? Sure. Did she deserve it? Hell yes.

I just got off the EB a few hours ago (Chicago>Whitefish). Fantastic car attendant & a great dining car staff. They all seemed to really enjoy their work.

I went on a Spokane-Seattle EB trip in June, with a jaunt down to Eugene, and back to Spokane on the EB by way of Portland this time. And the crew was excellent both times. The fact the diner was out of most things at breakfast was by no means the dining car staff's fault, and they made the best of the situation. And on the way back, the car attendant (wish I'd gotten his name) was on his first-ever day on the job, and he was excellent. Very attentive, and a wonderful sense of humor.
I read where airlines are rating their pilots by the amount of extra fuel they DON'T carry on board. I wonder if Amtrak is doing the same in the diners? Beef stew doesn't sound too appetizing for breakfast and besides, if the engines run out of fuel you can just get off. I don' think you would have that opportunity on any airline.

I have to completely disagree with the statement, "that some people are just asking for it" with one crew we had on the CZ. They were the first train trip that my girlfriend and her two daughters had taken. From LNK-GSC, crew was FANTASTIC! From GSC-LNK the Dining Car crew needed to be dropped off the nearest mountain, shoved out into the biggest cornfield blindfolded with thier hands tied behind thier backs etc. Most miserable, rude folks we had ever encountered. But when it was all done (our 2 hour debacle titled: D-I-N-N-E-R) I paid with my AGR card and was wearing my Amtrak polo shirt. The rude waiter came looking for us in coach and in the handipcapped seating to find us to "wish you a great trip, thanks for travelling Amtrak and hope you had a great dinner with us tonight" :huh: Couldn't figure it out until I started thinking after they jacked us around for 2 hours with rudeness and abrasiveness that they thought I was an Amtrak employee of some kind. We were all taken aback by his "new found kindess" and just burst out laughing and then figured out they (Rude Employee #1 and Rude/Jerk Employee #2) may have thought....."oh no he might work for Amtrak".

On a better note, I've taken 16 trips on Amtrak or 8 RT's. So that means only 1 of 16 trips I wanted to say to a fella or gal, "wanna step outside the train for a minute and we will discuss why you are so miserable?!?" I work for a very large company and we have great pay and benefits and there's one guy that is just plain miserable. I avoid him like the plague. The other day while shining my shoes in the locker room he runs in looking for anyone to gripe to, he says, "hey Railfan you want to hear what they are doing to me today?" I just looked up and said, "no, not the least bit intrerested in what they are doing to you today!" and continued to shine my shoes. Do you think he took the hint? Or would that be a hint?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most miserable, rude folks we had ever encountered. But when it was all done (our 2 hour debacle titled: D-I-N-N-E-R) I paid with my AGR card and was wearing my Amtrak polo shirt. The rude waiter came looking for us in coach and in the handipcapped seating to find us to "wish you a great trip, thanks for travelling Amtrak and hope you had a great dinner with us tonight" :huh: Couldn't figure it out until I started thinking after they jacked us around for 2 hours with rudeness and abrasiveness that they thought I was an Amtrak employee of some kind.
I have found that over the years, on the Silvers, the dinning car folks have changed, and not for the better. I used to be "waited upon", and my needs always their priority. Now, well, I get my food, but all the attentiveness is gone. Personal service lost the personal.

Except for the food, the experience has become more like McD's, than a fine restaurant. For example, an attendant goes down the isle dropping off salads at each table, for each person, in almost an assembly line fashion.

I use to know the dinning car folks mostly by name, because I would see the same faces on many trips. And with that, greetings seemed to be a bit more warm, more personal, more friendly, more sincere. Not any more.

We took the EB from SEA-SPK in coach on 8/8 and we had the most worthless crew. We didn't get bad service, we got NO service. And it wasn't just us, it was all the coach cars. Neither "attendant" helped with luggage, neither helped with seating, and neither checked to make sure passengers were awake for their stop. It wasn't like they weren't around either. They'd walk by, they just wouldn't do anything. Completly worthless.

We took the EB from SEA-SPK in coach on 8/8 and we had the most worthless crew. We didn't get bad service, we got NO service. And it wasn't just us, it was all the coach cars. Neither "attendant" helped with luggage, neither helped with seating, and neither checked to make sure passengers were awake for their stop. It wasn't like they weren't around either. They'd walk by, they just wouldn't do anything. Completly worthless.
If pax being awake was an issue were they being quiet so that people COULD sleep, late hours maybe?

I think Amtrak has done a great job of trying to hire professional and courteous train attendants. One time when I was on the Builder, we had a attendant from Pakistan who was a "kick in the pants" great guy. At first he seemed pretty stiff and professional but by the end, everyone was getting their picture with him since he was such a kick. He just got the whole coach car laughing one by one. A+ to whoever hires most of these guys and gals.

If pax being awake was an issue were they being quiet so that people COULD sleep, late hours maybe?
I think you missunderstood the problem. No passengers were causing any problems. Usually if you fall asleep and you're getting off at the next stop either the attendant or the conductor will make sure you are awake so you don't miss your stop. This crew, though, didn't care. Matter of fact, they made an announcement around 9pm telling passengers getting off in Spokane not to fall asleep. Know how hard that is when we didn't get in until after 1 am?

Most miserable, rude folks we had ever encountered. But when it was all done (our 2 hour debacle titled: D-I-N-N-E-R) I paid with my AGR card and was wearing my Amtrak polo shirt. The rude waiter came looking for us in coach and in the handipcapped seating to find us to "wish you a great trip, thanks for travelling Amtrak and hope you had a great dinner with us tonight" :huh: Couldn't figure it out until I started thinking after they jacked us around for 2 hours with rudeness and abrasiveness that they thought I was an Amtrak employee of some kind.
I have found that over the years, on the Silvers, the dinning car folks have changed, and not for the better. I used to be "waited upon", and my needs always their priority. Now, well, I get my food, but all the attentiveness is gone. Personal service lost the personal.

Except for the food, the experience has become more like McD's, than a fine restaurant. For example, an attendant goes down the isle dropping off salads at each table, for each person, in almost an assembly line fashion.

I use to know the dinning car folks mostly by name, because I would see the same faces on many trips. And with that, greetings seemed to be a bit more warm, more personal, more friendly, more sincere. Not any more.
Hmm, myself and several other OTOL'ers were just on the Silvers last month, Star south, Meteor north. I had no complaints whatsoever about the dining car crews. In fact the LSA on the way down was particularly wonderful in that he actually allowed us to make a reservation for dinner for the one member of the group traveling in coach. I thought that was very nice of him to do for us.

I think you missunderstood the problem. No passengers were causing any problems. Usually if you fall asleep and you're getting off at the next stop either the attendant or the conductor will make sure you are awake so you don't miss your stop. This crew, though, didn't care. Matter of fact, they made an announcement around 9pm telling passengers getting off in Spokane not to fall asleep. Know how hard that is when we didn't get in until after 1 am?
Those attendants had best rethink their attitudes about waking people at night. Amtrak considers a carry-by a very serious matter. If that happens too many times, they'll probably be looking for a new job rather quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back