Anyone meet their sig. other on a train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MStrain

Service Attendant
So how many folks on here have met a fling or a true significant other on a train before? Don't be TOO detailed if it was a fling....... ;)

I know its probably a longshot, but you never know.

MStrain

I personally didn't, but I did once see a couple get married in the Sightseer Lounge car on the Cardinal (back when it ran with Superliner equipment). They got married on the train because they met on the train and both had a love for traveling by train.

I went to meet Audrey in person for the first time on the Auto Train. We met on an online art community a long time ago.

I chuckle because I almost feel sheepish about admitting it, but I do have a story here.

I used to take the train back and forth from Richmond to Baltimore when I was in college and having recently broken up with my girlfriend, I decided to take advantage of the fact that I was always seeing a ton of college girls on the trains and vowed that I would pick the best looking ones and take the seat next to them. So I did. And on one round trip, it paid off.

I distinctly remember—I was on the Carolinian and I sat down next to a gorgeous blonde. I struck up a conversation (very original: so, where are you headed?) and over the course of the next 3 hours or so, I learned, among other things, that she went to ECU and that she was making a surprise visit to her boyfriend in the Coast Guard Academy up north. For some reason that didn't deter me, so I actually took her upstairs in DC's Union Station during the engine change and bought her a burger from McDonalds (Mr. Casanova here, I know) and just kept the charm turned on. It actually paid off, though, because two years later she had broken up with said boyfriend and we ended up actually going on a few real dates.

Coming back from that trip, I sat down to a classic-looking brunette and pulled the same lines out. Thing is, she let me do my thing and then revealed that she was sitting IN BACK of me on the trip up on the Carolinian!! Still, it didn't turn her away completely, and we came to find that her father and my mother actually went to high school together. That apparently was enough to keep me in the picture, and I ended up on a few dates with her as well over the next few years.

Ah, those were the days... ;)

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not meet my beautiful bride on the train, but once we got married, we took an overnight Amtrak train on our honeymoon. That was the only time that I ever had breakfast brought to me in the (then deluxe) bedroom. :lol: We went from Miami to New York on the Silver Meteor, then took a regional up to Boston and a bus from there into Vermont.

Well she's not my significant other, but once I was riding the Empire Builder to Chicago. While we were dwelling in St. Paul I was out of my seat in the dining car eating breakfast. After making my way back to coach I saw this cute girl pass by, but I didn't think anything of it. But apparently the coach attendant had given away my seat and a guy was fast asleep in my window seat. So I just took the isle and fell asleep too. Later that same girl came up and acted confused because I was in her seat. She didn't care and she went back to the lounge and so I followed. She offered me a seat at the same table and the rest is history. We chatted in the lounge car until they kicked us out for our arrival into Chicago. She was catching the Lake Shore to go to NYC and I was catching the Cardinal to Indy. I offered to show her around the city and we even ate at AU's unofficial pizza place, Giardonnos. We had to part ways but she told me to call her. I visited her in NYC a few months later. I thought we had gone our separate ways after that, but after almost a year she got back in touch with me. She live back in MSP now and we saw each other again in March. Its too bad I live in Texas though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back