Anyone into N scale?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PetalumaLoco

Conductor
I decided to put together a tabletop N scale layout, using old engine, rolling stock, and controller from a layout I had 20+ years ago. I'm not using any of the old Atlas track parts, I have decided to go with Bachmann EZ-Track. Anyone else into this?

My 3 1/2 year old grandson is coming for Christmas, I thought he'd get a kick out of it.

Thanks

I decided to put together a tabletop N scale layout, using old engine, rolling stock, and controller from a layout I had 20+ years ago. I'm not using any of the old Atlas track parts, I have decided to go with Bachmann EZ-Track. Anyone else into this?
My 3 1/2 year old grandson is coming for Christmas, I thought he'd get a kick out of it.

Thanks
Aloha

Somewhat Although my preferred scale is HO I have messed wuth "N: scale. the older Bachmann can have more issues with dirt on wheel or track but that is a good age for a kid. N may be small though if Purchasing new for a child that age I would select G and nothing smaller than HO. But is this a set from your youth, enjoy it. Most parts are still available for Bachmann.

Thanks
Aloha

Somewhat Although my preferred scale is HO I have messed wuth "N: scale. the older Bachmann can have more issues with dirt on wheel or track but that is a good age for a kid. N may be small though if Purchasing new for a child that age I would select G and nothing smaller than HO. But is this a set from your youth, enjoy it. Most parts are still available for Bachmann.
Thanks GG-1. I've messed with HO besides N. G would be nice, and outdoor would be crazy cool. Right now the limiting factor is space, so N is the choice. He'll have no end of trouble trying to place anything on the track, but he'll enjoy playing with the throttle. The loco appears to be in good shape, going to need some cleaning and oiling.

Can we expect pictures when it's complete?
Well it won't be very exciting, no bridges, grades or landscaping. Just green felt on a table top with a couple of loops of track, a few buildings and a teeny train. And a lot of imagination. This will be something to throw together every Christmas, then put away for most of the year. If I want to get serious, I have a 9ft x 5ft HO layout mothballed in the garage that's about 50 years old and not complete yet...

If I want to get serious, I have a 9ft x 5ft HO layout mothballed in the garage that's about 50 years old and not complete yet...
Now that sounds like fun. Next year give your grandson a Athearn set of his own in HO and let him share the garage with you. 4 is when I stared my Daughter, and that is about when she started her daughter. At 7 the Granddaughter was part of the OTOL SoCal Fest. She even was part of the LA gathering at 6.5 for Sat. and Sun. I not sure how she got so enthused about school but she did not want to miss school on Fri., Mon. :huh:

Aloha

Eric

If I want to get serious, I have a 9ft x 5ft HO layout mothballed in the garage that's about 50 years old and not complete yet...
Now that sounds like fun. Next year give your grandson a Athearn set of his own in HO and let him share the garage with you. 4 is when I stared my Daughter, and that is about when she started her daughter. At 7 the Granddaughter was part of the OTOL SoCal Fest. She even was part of the LA gathering at 6.5 for Sat. and Sun. I not sure how she got so enthused about school but she did not want to miss school on Fri., Mon. :huh:

Aloha

Eric
Good idea. First, come over and help me clean the garage, I need some space... :p

Ideally my daughter would move back here on the west coast from Ct, I only get to see the little guy twice a year - but then I wouldn't have an excuse to ride Amtrak x-country in the summer!

Just remember to lock up the cat! I still remember my first train, the Tyco Santa Fe Super Chief and how Tiki The Cantankerous Siamese would pounce and derail the moving train, looking like something from a monster movie :lol: :eek: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back