Anyone here work for Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's my understanding that even when they hired as AC's they had about a year before promotion to Conductor. 
I seem to recall wording to that effect in their conductor trainee job postings, but I don't see it on some current ones.  The Denver conductor position they have open has crossed my mind a few times recently.

It's my understanding that even when they hired as AC's they had about a year before promotion to Conductor. 
That wasn't always the case. If you didn't bid a conductor spot, they could force promote you to a vacant conductor spot. However, that would only work if you were among the junior employees in the crew base. It would often turn out that some people never qualified and weren't forced.

This was pre-certification though.

Savannah would be a very nice place to live.   
Totally agree. I don't know what it costs to live there. I know it can be muggy hot in summer. But it's beautiful, lots of charm and the people are very friendly.

That wasn't always the case. If you didn't bid a conductor spot, they could force promote you to a vacant conductor spot. However, that would only work if you were among the junior employees in the crew base. It would often turn out that some people never qualified and weren't forced.

This was pre-certification though.
Thanks for the info. I'm going off of what I was told in Late 2015 by a DC Zone 2 TrainMaster at a hiring event. 

Thanks for all the responses...I am thinking back to the "good old days", when trains carried an engineer, fireman, head brakeman, conductor, rear brakeman, and flagman.

Oh, and on freight trains, a caboose... :)

Thanks for all the responses...I am thinking back to the "good old days", when trains carried an engineer, fireman, head brakeman, conductor, rear brakeman, and flagman.

Oh, and on freight trains, a caboose... :)
These days most Amtrak crews are 3 people. ThirdRail or someone with more knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong. An Engineer, Conductor, and Assistant Conductor known as "the flag" on the radio. (e.g. Conductor to the Flag on Amtrak 665) I can tell you that most Regional Trains have 2 AC's and a Conductor. 

These days most Amtrak crews are 3 people. ThirdRail or someone with more knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong. An Engineer, Conductor, and Assistant Conductor known as "the flag" on the radio. (e.g. Conductor to the Flag on Amtrak 665) I can tell you that most Regional Trains have 2 AC's and a Conductor. 
Some Regionals even have 3 ACs. Gasp! Others, such as 65/67/66, 179/169 west of NHV, 190/150 south of Philly, and a few other late night Regionals (I think my 139 was one of them), only have a conductor and 1 AC.

I believe some long haul jobs still have 2 engineers due to HOS requirements as well.

I believe some long haul jobs still have 2 engineers due to HOS requirements as well.
Assignment of Assistant Engineers are governed by Labor Agreement requiring such whenever the timetable scheduled run exceeds six hours.

Unfortunately none of my relatives live anyplace they're hiring just now, save for NYC.  Got a brother there.  Intruding on him for a whole year probably would get really old really fast for the both of us though, haha.
It would actually be more then a year if you get hired as an Engineer. You would be a student for about 2 years, then mark up. 

Totally agree. I don't know what it costs to live there. I know it can be muggy hot in summer. But it's beautiful, lots of charm and the people are very friendly.
My wife's family is there.  Its a pretty rough town outside of the SCAD-influenced tourist core.  Even the tourist core is still "keep your head on a swivel" territory after 10 PM.

My wife's family is there.  Its a pretty rough town outside of the SCAD-influenced tourist core.  Even the tourist core is still "keep your head on a swivel" territory after 10 PM.
Yeah, I should have known better since I've never lived there. The visits have been wonderful, but all activities have been daytime.

Latest posts

Back