Any changes coming in redemption rules?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lthanlon

OBS Chief
I have just over 20,000 points, which I'd like to redeem for a one-way, two-zone trip sometime by the middle of next year. I'm worried, however, that Amtrak Guest Rewards might increase the number of points required. How far in advance have redemption changes usually been announced?

Any reason you can't book your trip now using your 20,000 AGR points? That would eliminate the possibility of an AGR change affecting your plans.

And if you do book now and your travel plans change you can cancel or change right up until your first train leaves and get all your Points deposited back into your Kitty.

AGR has a lot of people who, in the vernacular of the airline flight attendant, "have many choices for going" from A to B, so they tend to give some notice. And, ultimately, although there are some people that maximize the benefit of the roomette, there are a lot of "normal" redemptions that people make which don't stretch the boundaries much.

Last time we were given warning of the increase, but that is not to say that they will do that again.

If you know where you want to go and have firm plans, I would just book your trip now to ensure that you get the current redemption levels.

Like others, I was able to book two zone awards last year at the old levels for travel in the summer of 2012. It was nice that we got the notice.

Keep in mind though, that with every increase they have made, that none of them have ever affected the roomettes. Redemptions for roomettes have always been the same. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I think you'll be okay for the near to medium future. The past increases only involved Bedrooms, Acela, coach, and a few others.

On the other hand, you could make an argument that means that the next increase is going to hit the roomettes since they haven't changed in so long.

Still, I agree that there will likely be sufficient notice of a change.

Back