Any brushes with greatness?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
John Madden was on board the Empire Builder when it got delayed in Glasgow Montana for several hours. He led a bunch of folks from the train over to the Mint Bar and it was such a great party people still talk about it today.

In the 1980's I not once, but twice had the pleasure of riding the CZ from SF to Chi with John Madden.

I have told this story here before, but I went to the lounge car outside Sacramento and there he was sipping a Miller Lite.

No one spoke to him for about fifteen minutes so i went over and introduced myself. We had several meals together, more than a several beverages, and he was two doors down in the sleeper.

Perhaps a year or so later it happened again. I was flattered he remember me as "the crazy librarian."

Conversation wandered all over the place and his wit and intellect is much more than a football coach and commentator. If Ernie were alive I believe he would describe him as a wonderful traveling companion.

And another example of the wonderful folks you meet on Amtrak.

On the other hand, the most interesting semi-famous person I spoke to was in the diner on the Crescent about a decade ago. We got discussing NPR and how on a few late night drives from Ann Arbor, Michigan to Toledo, OH I listened to their program on organ music. He asked me how I liked it. I told him I enjoyed it quite a bit. He then replied he was the host of said program.
Wow, you had dinner with Michael Barone? Neat. He really is a nice guy.

On the other hand, the most interesting semi-famous person I spoke to was in the diner on the Crescent about a decade ago. We got discussing NPR and how on a few late night drives from Ann Arbor, Michigan to Toledo, OH I listened to their program on organ music. He asked me how I liked it. I told him I enjoyed it quite a bit. He then replied he was the host of said program.
Wow, you had dinner with Michael Barone? Neat. He really is a nice guy.
Thanks, I honestly could not recall the name, but yes, he was quite enjoyable to have dinner with.

My wife and I had dinner with the executive assistant to former US Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice on the Lake Shore Limited

from NYP to CHI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back