Anthony Bourdain says Amtrak restrooms as bad as India's trains...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimSpencer

Train Attendant
I was watching an old episode of "No Reservations" hosted by Anothony Bourdain.

This episode was about some city in India.(the country)

Anyway, he made a remark about how Amtrak train restrooms are just as filthy

as train restrooms in India.

Having never been in India myself, I was wondering how true that statement is?

I have only been on several Amtrak trains recently, but they seemed okay to me.

Denitiely not as clean as European/Japanese high speed trains....

any opinions appreciated!

Which Amtrak trains are you thinking of?

The long distance routes are supposed to have the coach attendant / sleeper attendant cleaning the restrooms en route. Acela trains that run all the way to/from BOS are supposed to have their restrooms cleaned as the train approaches New York City. I'm not sure if any of the other trains have en route cleaning these days.

Which Amtrak trains are you thinking of?
The long distance routes are supposed to have the coach attendant / sleeper attendant cleaning the restrooms en route. Acela trains that run all the way to/from BOS are supposed to have their restrooms cleaned as the train approaches New York City. I'm not sure if any of the other trains have en route cleaning these days.
I haven't been to India but I can vouch for the fact that some of the coachy bathrooms get pretty bad. I took the LSL recently (CHI-ALB and return). The worst bathrooms were in the cars with the people going the furthest (and I know this because I searched out the best ones.) The cleanest ones both directions were in the lounge car. Keeping adequate supplies of paper towels and soap (and, in two cases, water) on hand seemed to be a challenge for Amtrak.

Anyway, he made a remark about how Amtrak train restrooms are just as filthyas train restrooms in India.
I, personally, have never see a really bad bathroom onboard any Amtrak train.

However, I just have to point out that it isn't Amtrak personnel who dirty up the bathroom, but rather inconsiderate passengers.

Possibly, the more appropriate remark would have been that Americans are more inconsiderate of their fellow passengers, than Indians.

It is kind of silly- any restroom on any train will never be clean as one's own home bathroom. Airline bathrooms are filthy too-

It also depends on the route and the length the car has been used on that trip.

I'm not picking on any specific route, but if the EB is going from CHI to SEA, the restrooms are going to be cleaner nearer to CHI than they would be nearer to SEA. Or if the SL goes from LAX to NOL, the restrooms will be cleaner closer to LAX than they will be closer to NOL.

And as mentioned, it is the passengers that will make them dirty. It could be cleaned by Amtrak staff, but if the NEXT person leaves a mess and you follow that person, you are going to say that it was ALWAYS dirty. (It doesn't matter that it was cleaned 3 minutes ago!)

It could be cleaned by Amtrak staff, but if the NEXT person leaves a mess and you follow that person, you are going to say that it was ALWAYS dirty. (It doesn't matter that it was cleaned 3 minutes ago!)
And therein lies one of the biggest problems faced by Amtrak.

Yes, there are attendants who neglect the restrooms and don't do their jobs. But even if they are doing their jobs, they can't be in there 24/7 cleaning the restrooms.

It could be cleaned by Amtrak staff, but if the NEXT person leaves a mess and you follow that person, you are going to say that it was ALWAYS dirty. (It doesn't matter that it was cleaned 3 minutes ago!)

Yes, there are attendants who neglect the restrooms and don't do their jobs. But even if they are doing their jobs, they can't be in there 24/7 cleaning the restrooms.
And guys aren't smart enough to sit when they do their trick on a train going 79mph through the mountains...

I am overweight but I did not think so grossly obese that I'd have problems sitting on an Amtrak toilet. I could sit on it but there was zero legroom. It felt like I was tied up. I searched for the car w/ handicapped bathrooms and used them as necessary. I didn't think the restrooms would be toilet seat width.

Dan

I am overweight but I did not think so grossly obese that I'd have problems sitting on an Amtrak toilet. I could sit on it but there was zero legroom. It felt like I was tied up. I searched for the car w/ handicapped bathrooms and used them as necessary. I didn't think the restrooms would be toilet seat width.
Dan
Depends what you're travelling on..

Having been on some trains in India and elsewhere, I can assure anyone that the restrooms on the trains in India are variable as to their cleanliness: from "not bad" (Amtrak-like) to "unbelievable" (dirty enough to cause profound fear for life). But one has to remain objective and rational in these kinds of things. Toilets are seldom as dirty, in the sense of germs and danger to health, as kitchens, especially kitchen drains, and bed cloths.

I've been on trains in many countries, and the cleanest toilets can be found in, in order of cleanliness: Finland, Norway, Sweden, Germany, and Canada. The most likely to be awful are found, in order of their likelihood to be filthy, in Romania (universally and unbelievably awful), France, India, and Thailand.

Amtrak seems to reflect the county and the people who live in it: some Americans are neat, clean and tidy up after themselves, and others are real slobs. Most are somewhere in the middle. There are some interesting statistics and observations concerning the cleanliness, and otherwise, of public conveninces, and how they relate to their location and the gender of those who use them, starting at: http://www.thebathroomdiaries.com/

The most likely to be awful are found, in order of their likelihood to be filthy, in Romania (universally and unbelievably awful), France, India, and Thailand.
Quite a regular visitor to France and never seen a toilet that I would describe as filthy, untidy and a bit messy maybe, but never filthy. Train (and aircraft) toilets are generally only as good as the last person in there before you....

And guys aren't smart enough to sit when they do their trick on a train going 79mph through the mountains...
I think "unisex" bathrooms are the stupidest thing ever done.. What ever happened to the nice multi stall mens and ladies combination dressing room and bath room. You could move about a bit, sit down and put on your shoes or what ever in slight comfort. But I agree about people not cleaning up behind them selves. I always clean up even if I didn't make the mess, but then thats me, I don't want the next person to get a bad impression. When we traveled in the Business class Horizion car where instead of that awful bathroom in the food service area of the eating section in amfleet cars, its in front of the passenger seats. It was remarkable that after almost five hours of very busy use when I went in you couldn't tell that anyone had been in it.. that was without a single look by the attendant. I have been in coaches while in the lounge on the Empire Builder, CZ, ect. the past few years. Usually they are not the best and I wouldn't want to be stuck using them. However even in the Sleeper I had at least one trip where the restrooms were totally neglected by the car attendant.. Not so on others. No one likes cleaning bathrooms that if for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Wife loves to watch "No Reservations" and thus I watch it with her. While I enjoy his show, if you only catch it once in awhile, you probably won't catch on that he uses "hyperbole" quite a bit to make his points and thus make his show more entertaining....so take what he say with a grain of Amtrak salt! ;)

The most likely to be awful are found, in order of their likelihood to be filthy, in Romania (universally and unbelievably awful), France, India, and Thailand.
Quite a regular visitor to France and never seen a toilet that I would describe as filthy, untidy and a bit messy maybe, but never filthy. Train (and aircraft) toilets are generally only as good as the last person in there before you....
I've generally found western European trains to be pretty clean, but the dirtiest trains I've ever endured are some of those behind the former Iron Curtain. Never been to Romania, but the train bathrooms in Bulgaria are too horrible for words.

you probably won't catch on that he uses "hyperbole" quite a bit to make his points
I do love his show, and you are right.

The show has a cooking theme, and he is considered a "world class chef", but everything is in hyperbole, in that everything is the "best ever", or the "worst ever". After a while, you learn to treat all those hyperboles as adjectives, relative to the situation.

I've had about 150 Amtrak trips this year (commuter), and have never noticed a dirty bathroom. I have heard passengers say they prefer the cars at the ends, since the train loads from the middle because it means the bathrooms at the ends see less use.

The MBTA (Boston) trains, however, were horrific.

But, like others mentioned above, it was passengers creating that condition. I assume it started out spotless during the day, and gradually gets worse as the day progresses? In the end, its a public restroom, and I treat it as such. I worry more about my kids then myself though

When I rode the train in Peru, the bathroom was indescribably filthy, and the smell of it overwhelmed the passenger car, so that my Peruvian seat mates had a little bottle of Florida water that they would put on a handkerchief and hold under their nose, and I was happy that they offered to share with me.

The only time I've seen a train attendant clean a bathroom was when some kids had clogged up the toilet with towels and the water ran over onto the floor. Not once have I ever seen the bathrooms cleaned during a trip.

It's been years since I've seen the restroom in the lounge car open. When there is a restroom, it usually has an out-of-order sign or a closed sign.

I, too, clean up after myself and any slob before me. That seems to be a contageous act. When one person starts, usually others follow.

As to Unisex bathrooms, I agree they shouldn't exist. Especially the former ladies "powder rooms" which are now unisex and have no locks. A co-passenger on my last trip was a bit astounded when she brushed her teeth in one sink and a man came in and proceeded to shave in the next sink.

As to Unisex bathrooms, I agree they shouldn't exist. Especially the former ladies "powder rooms" which are now unisex and have no locks. A co-passenger on my last trip was a bit astounded when she brushed her teeth in one sink and a man came in and proceeded to shave in the next sink.
Wow, what is the world coming to? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back