Another Question - Silly at best

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJRACER

Service Attendant
We are pre-ticketed on the Amtrak from Orlando to Washington, DC. When we get to the Orlando station, do we check into the ticket window or just sit comfortably at track-side and board when the train comes in. Silly question, I know.

Orlando is my home station and I usually start my travels from there. Even though not required, I go up to the ticket window and make sure everything is in order. I do not check baggage and I normally pick up my tickets in advance, so it is not necessary - but I am bit neurotic, so I check in. If you need special assistance, I would certainly check in.

Depending on the weather, I either sit outside or inside while waiting for the train.

Normally, the station attendants will make announcements as to where to stand in order to board the train. The coach passengers line up towards the rear of the train (if the sleepers are in front) which will be to the left when you go out the station doors looking at the tracks. If there are large numbers of passengers boarding, which is the case on most summer days, they will have the coach passengers line up by destination. Boarding the train is often slow. They will try to put families together, but it does not always happen.

The sleeper passengers will board towards the front of the train (to the right when you exit the station). On the Silver Meteor, there are usually 3 sleeper cars and you will board the car to which you are ticketed (9810, 9811 or 9812). Boarding the sleeper cars is much quicker than coaches because there are fewer passengers in the sleepers.

Sorry for the long answer to a short question.

If by "pre-ticketed" you mean that you have your printed tickets in your hand, just sit and wait for the train.
Sorry Ryan....yes that is what I do mean>>>>guess I will never get all the terminology and abbreviations right. Thanks!

I am bit neurotic
A bit?
huh.gif
huh.gif
huh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

PJ - when do you leave for your trip? I hope you have a great time! Please be sure to come back afterwards and give us a trip report.

On the Silver Meteor, there are usually 3 sleeper cars and you will board the car to which you are ticketed (9810, 9811 or 9812).
As I've previously posted, I have a lower level seat booked on a round trip ABQ~LAX for Christmas.

Would my tickets show which coach car those seats are on?

TSA isn't that common, mostly at the bigger stations. I've been to LA once and don't recall seeing them there.

No, your coach ticket won't tell you what coach car you'll end up in.

TSA could not set up easily at LAX, unless they would need 2 set-ups at each gate (since there are 2 entrances/ramps for each pair of tracks on opposite sides of the tunnel)! And if they did that, how would the Red Caps (in carts) and the checked baggage carts get by on the ramps?
huh.gif
And they can't close off the tunnel, since MetroLink and the local transit (Gold Line I believe) also have gates off that tunnel.

And speaking of the tunnel - at one end of it is the train station and at the other is the local bus terminal! Would all the local commuters have to go thru "Security" every day too?
wacko.gif

Yeah, the TSA is never coming to LAX. If they did they would just get in the way and slow things down. That simply wouldn't be allowed at a major transportation hub. Nope, never gonna happen.

At most you will see Amtrak Police K9 units sniffing around people's baggage and such. Even in Philly where they actually do random bag inspections at times it is mostly Amtrak Police these days that handle it.

K9 units show up pretty regularly on Acelas from time to time too. And they also hang out even at NYP.

Of course, if you have checked bags, you need to check in at the counter. You should typically avoid going inside any building lest you be subjected to the arms of the TSA.
I have only seen security at the Orlando station a few times. Those times, there was more security outside the doors of the station. If it is 95+ degrees outside, it might be much more comfortable waiting in the air conditioned waiting room. Also, the rest room facilities are inside. The seats are not real comfortable inside or outside.

PJ - when do you leave for your trip? I hope you have a great time! Please be sure to come back afterwards and give us a trip report.
THANKS, we hope all goes without much of a hitch. Being first-timers, a little apprehensive....and yes I will report back after August 18th.

Of course, if you have checked bags, you need to check in at the counter. You should typically avoid going inside any building lest you be subjected to the arms of the TSA.
I have only seen security at the Orlando station a few times. Those times, there was more security outside the doors of the station. If it is 95+ degrees outside, it might be much more comfortable waiting in the air conditioned waiting room. Also, the rest room facilities are inside. The seats are not real comfortable inside or outside.
Don't know how my question got turned into a TSA subject, but if they check us for anything, fine by us as we have nothing to hide and it could add to the entertainment of waiting for a more than likely late train. I am always into people watching, so this AMTRAK trip should be a fun time for me. Love all the characters of life.

K9 units show up pretty regularly on Acelas from time to time too. And they also hang out even at NYP.
The SWC must do drug checks of luggage all the time, because here in Albuquerque it's not unusual to hear on the local news of someone being arrested on the Amtrak for quantity of weed.

I've read online somewhere that the police check for passengers buying last minute tickets, with cash, odd behavior, etc at LAX,

and the ABQ local news often mentions arrests on the SWC at our local station for weed.

IMHO the best thing about the inside of the Orlando station is the air conditioning. The station is architecturally appealing, but needs restoration. I don't know about The Ladies Room, but The Men's Room would benefit from a good cleaning and a remodel.

Hope you have a great trip!

I don't know about The Ladies Room, but The Men's Room would benefit from a good cleaning and a remodel.
I do not know about the Men's Room, but the Ladies' Room is fine - most likely a lot cleaner than the public rest rooms on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back